Diabetic on a cruise

Saintleonard

Hi all I am fortunate to be shortly going on a cruise around the Mediterranean for 2 weeks . Can anybody give me any advice on food , things to take just in case of and any travelling advice . It has been such a long time since I was last on a holiday abroad and I feel things are not what they used to be especially as I am a newly diagnosed type1

Candybabe

Hi, I went for a week last year to the Canaries. (We had a fridge in our cabin, which we requested). I used a Frio bag to take my insulin there. There was a huge range of food available nearly 24 hrs a day and there were always healthy options to choose from. Diet drink (normally coke was also available as was cold water). Depending on the company you are sailing with, they may or may not have tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin. I took some diet tonic water with me to keep in the cabin. I think other people took kettles with them (not sure if they were allowed to or not! :) I also took things like cereal bars etc to keep in the cabin, if you fancy or need a snack at night etc, you don't want to have to leave the cabin if you don't want to. Sachets of Glucose are good too as lightweight. I guess it also goes without saying - takes spares with you of everything and take it in your hand luggage such as spare needles etc. Ask your Gp or clinic for a covering letter to say that you are travelling with Sharps (also declare at Airport or Port) A good idea might be to 'Google translate' some phrases into the language that you need, print it out and carry it around, just in case of any problems. i.e I have Diabetes can you get me something sugary quickly etc for eg. Also take details of your Gp etc with you just in case you are admitted to hospital while you are there. (I am sure you will be fine and won't have any problems, but I would imagine you will feel more relaxed if you are prepared). (Also travel insurance is obviously necessary)
I took a little medical kit with me, basics etc, antiseptic cream, paracetamol, hydration sachets... canestan, antiseptic cream also anti bacterial gel is good (the ships use it a lot in case of outbreaks etc) Something to put sharps in i.e plastic bottle.
I didn't have any problems when I went and I am sure you will have a fab time. Just an extra tip - have a search on Youtube for your cruise - there are usually lots of tips and advice about cruising with whatever company you are going with. Also the staff are fantastic on the cruises and are more than willing to help. Hope this helps, I am sure you will have a fantastic time :thumbup:

Saintleonard

Thanks lots of great advice there I gave requested a fridge and a sharps bin in the cabin and the cruise company have confirmed the will supply. A good idea about the doctors letter I hadn't thought of that , but the insurance has been all organised.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just been on a 12 day cruise. The biggest problem is resisting at least some of the carby food! Our Celebrity ship always had no-sugar added desserts and ice-cream although still some carbs. A breakfast fry-up is good; the breads, cakes, fruit juice and low-fat high sugar yogurt and so on are bad. I fitted new cartridges to my pens to last the 12 days so a fridge wasn't needed. I also took an empty plastic screw-top vitamin container to hold my used sharps and brought it home. I took a surgery letter about the insulin stuff as suggested by another poster. I don't know about cereal bars or snacks as you will already be sagging under too many carbs. I had to increase my Bolus a lot to keep my sugars anywhere near reasonable. Have a good cruise.