Some advice needed please

magicaldebs

I need somebody to talk to about my Diabetes, things seems to be getting worse and my GP, although good, doesn't allow for discussions.

For the past year my BS's seem to have been out of my control. I used to be able to control them with diet, even if I took medication, a low carb diet did more to help me control my BS. For the past 6 months a low carb diet of 50g a day doesn't seem to have worked. I find it difficult to very low carb.

I have been on slow release Metformin 1000g a day for about 6 years, I was on Sitagliptin until a few months but I had a BS in the region of 12 to 15g. I was prescribed Byetta as I have a BMI of 41, this didn't seem to be lowering my BS unfortunately i didn't lose weight either, but the worse was that I had a episode of Bilary Colic with terrible pain, I spent two days in hospital. I am convinced that this was caused by the Byetta, the symptoms came on after each injection of Byetta.

I am not happy to restart Byetta, but the GP told me that the only choice I now have left is Bydureon or insulin. He's not happy for me to go onto Insulin because I might gain weight. I'm not happy to try Bydyreon and have tried again to control my BS with extra exercise and a good low carb diet, but my BS was 18.7 this afternoon, it knocked me out. (I'm only on Metformin now, until I decide what to do)

I don't understand why I cant control it all any more, I'm really reluctant to try Bydueon after my experience of Byetta. I've heard people say that going onto Insulin was the best thing they have ever done, but I can't put more weight on. I stick to a healthy diet, I exercise every day. What am I doing wrong? I'm sorry to sound emotional but I'm feeling a bit desperate now.
Does anybody have any suggestions or advice, or can just tell me whats going on?
Debs

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You have my sympathy. I am surprised that the very low-carb diet hasn't helped you lose weight as that normally does work and doesn't leave many (any?) options. Insulin doesn't always cause weight gain e.g. I haven't gained any weight at all in 4 months now since starting but I never had a weight problem anyway. I can understand the GP suggesting Byetta or Bydureon as these are best for those overweight. I'm sorry I can't help further.

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi

I too am in the same boat low carb has done nothing for me whatsoever, i have not lost any weight neither have i gained any,blood sugar is now higher than it was four weeks ago i have upped my excersize regime but unfortunately i will be unable to continue with it due to Achilles tendonitis. I am going to give up trying as i will not punish myself any further time to accept the inevitable, i hope you resolve your problems and i wish you well

Take Care
Stillo

magicaldebs

What is the inevitable for you Stillto? Do you mean insulin?

Even with very low carb I'd lose weight for the first couple of weeks and then my weight would stick. I find it very difficult to eat a very low carb diet because I'm not really a bit meat eater, it's just too restrictive for me. When I come off the low carb diet any wight I have lost goes straight back on again. I've tried a good few times now.

Actually my weight is very stable, I don't put weight on, but unfortunately I don't lose it either. I've tried Slimming World, Weight Watcher, plus all sorts of other diets, but nothing really works. My natural diet (without dieting) is good, I don't like processed foods, I prefer veg, fruit, nuts and Wholemeal cereals. I like fish and chicken and eat some diary products such a cheese, but I'm not keen on eggs and I don't eat a lot of meat. Byetta didn't help, I was on it for three months and kept the same weight.

I swim every day and walk my dog twice a day. I seem to be doing everything that I'm advised but I seem to have reached an impasse.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi

No i will not be taking any insulin and i have never been offered it, i have been taking gliclazide and januvia since Christmas and there has been no change to my sugar levels whatsoever, Leeds community diabetes clinic refused to see me as they believe i am on insulin and i am not, my diabetic nurse left the practice some months ago and has not been replaced and the standard of care i receive from my gp is appalling, i have high blood sugar High Cholesterol and High blood pressure none of these conditions have ever been under control in the last 12 years, that is the reason i am going to accept the inevitable and that is to have high sugar for the foreseeable future

Take care Stillo

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
hi, what about victoza, you could ask the doctor about it. i took victoza for 2 years and i lost a bit of weight.

i'm not taking it anymore just the metformin now cause i'm taking co enzyme q10 and chromium with cinammon tea and fenugreek which all help control blood sugar naturally. ofcourse everybody is different but i thought i would try them and they are working for me at present. i do juicing green vegetables as well and find that helps me control my appetite.

i do wish you all the best