The Numbers Debate - Type 1 & 2 Diabetes

Morganator

Re: The Numbers Debate - Type 1 & 2 Diabetes

My DSN, who is diabetic herself, always says she is type Judy and that I am type Debby, as far as she us concerned every patient is individual. What works for one will not work for another so way try to label us into a few groups.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Difficult. The strict definitions of T1 and T2 ignores the fact that there is a complete spectrum of types as there are many causes. As far as the public and friends are concerned they may only need to know that you are diabetic and treated with diet, tablets and/or insulin as this affects meals they may prepare, expectation of hypos etc. I'm more concerned with the health professionals, DUK etc who often seriously believe there are only two types (e.g. my new diabetes GP who said you're not T1 therefore you must be T2 when in fact I show all the behaviours of T1.5 and she did no tests). Anything that improves the education and understanding of the 'professionals' will help give the correct diagnosis, treatment and data recording for on-going research. Although well intended, the proposed two new terms of BCA and ICD are too complicated for people to remember. In practice I think it's best left as it is but with more use of T1.5 to bridge the gap and of course GD, MODY etc where relevant. I haven't read the links but will do so.

sparkyrich

I can't see the point in bucking trends when it comes to the unaffected. I suggest having three, easy to remember types..
******** pancreas, insulin dependant
Working pancreas, fat lazy gits
Self obsessed who don't want a label

There you go, easy!

mcdonagh47

Tristan_Llyr said:
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for visiting my post. My name is Tristan, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic that was diagnosed last October, 19 y/o. This topic has bound to have sparked up long before I was diagnosed, but I came across an online petition today that asked the International Diabetes Fedaration and ADA to consider revising the names of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. The petition has gathered some considerable publicity since it began in April with over 5,000 signatures so far.
l.

To make sense of any name change, one or both of T1 or T2 would surely have to drop the word "diabetes" altogether from their title.

I seem to remember about ten years ago that a new name touted for T2 was "Cellulosis".

It would be interesting to find the WHO debates in the 1980s, which decided the current nomenclature, to see what the arguments were in favour of using the numbers 1 and 2 and what other options were discussed.

the "2" in Type 2 Diabetes often means, just because of the "tyranny of numbers", that T2s take second place, in fact the 2 in T2 Diabetes often seems to stand for "2nd class citizen" in the NHS ( as in the strips issue).

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Do diabetics worry about stereotypes or what others think? I certainly don't. Not overweight but condition probably self inflicted - that's in the past though and no point in dwelling on it.

My main concern is how my body reacts to what I do to it and how best to change. Unfortunately I don't think my doctor or nurse has time to help with that.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Unfortunately, most diabetics DO care about the stereotypical attitudes. Just look at some past threads where words like "self inflicted" and "obesity" crop up !

Elc1112

The problem with the two alternative names in your original post is that both will be shortened, no doubt, to just diabetes. Hence we might as well continue to call them type 1 and type 2. Even if the two alternative names do catch on I can't help thinking that people will still fail to understand the difference between them. To be honest, I can't say I blame them. I certainly don't understand the ins and outs of other diseases that don't affect me. I'm not sure that we should expect non diabetics to understand the in and outs of diabetes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont care what the medical profession call us.

I just want the media and medical people to stop referring to type 1 as the ones who got it through no fault of their own, and type 2's as the fat pigs who brought it on themselves and dont deserve precious NHS resources spent on them.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.

lucylocket61 said:
I dont care what the medical profession call us.

I just want the media and medical people to stop referring to type 1 as the ones who got it through no fault of their own, and type 2's as the fat pigs who brought it on themselves and dont deserve precious NHS resources spent on them.

Here here.

Hannah1987

I THINK CHANGING NAMES WILL CONFUSE PEOPLE. ALTHOUGH THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TYPES, EACH TYPE I N ITSELF HAS MANY VARIETIES & TREATMENTS SO CHANGING NAMES WILL CONFUSE PEOPLE MORE. BASIC AWARENESS IS VITAL THOUGH IN A HYPO - THERE ARE LOTS OF STROKE & HEART ATTACK CAMPAIGNS OF HOW TO HELP PEOPLE SO WHY NOT FOR DIABETES ALSO? MY LG WAS DIAGNOSED TYPE 1 AGE 2 & NOW 4 - SHE EXPLAINS IT TO HER FRIENDS SIMPLY BUT EFFECTIVELY WHAT MANY WITH NO KNOWLEDGE - "SUGAR IS BAD FOR ME & CAN MAKE ME HIGH SO I FEEL POORLY BUT MY INJECTIONS KEEP ME BETTER - MY SPECIAL MACHINE HELPS PEOPLE KNOW IF I AM OK BY POKING ME & TESTING MY BLOOD - SOMETIMES I NEED SUGAR WHEN MY BODY IS LOW & I GO WOBBLY & DIZZY SO SUGAR HELPS ME GET BETTER AGAIN" x