Newbie Type 2

debs6566

Hi all I was diagnosed beginning of July with a call to make an appointment to see the doc - nothing to worry about lol! Then the Doc asked me why I thought I was there ? (after having a 2nd fasting blood test) I was shocked to be told I was Diabetitc Type 2 - not :lol: wonder if this approach works with other illnesses :shock: I am feeling quite shocked as haven't had any symptoms and must admit I am in mourning a little. The Doc told me all about how my insulin isn't always working but didn't want to tell me more until I saw the Diabetic Nurse. Unfortunately at my surgery you can only be diabetic on a Tuesday and Wednesday morning and as I work office hours this has meant I cant see the nurse until 6th August. I have found this website a fantastic help and I am armed now with lots of questions to ask. At the mo I can only dwell on the things that I shouldn't or cant have. Seeing what others have been through and the advice and support on here has helped an awful lot so thank you everyone.

Anyway there are people far worse off than myself so gonna pick myself up and get on with things. Looking forward to reading blogs and getting my head around everything
Happy summer :clap:

C

chris lowe

Hi Debs and welcome,

Sorry to hear that you've got the dreaded type 2, but honestly, it's not the end of the world as you know it. As you've already discovered, there is lots of advice on this website - 99.9% given with good humour. I expect Daisy will be along soon with lots of helpful links and info for the newbie. It's a shame your surgery isn't a bit more helpful, fancy only having a part time diabetes nurse when most of have diabetes 24/7. Still a bit off for us to think that these things are run for our convenience :lol: I do hope that if you tell your employer that they will be understanding about the fact that you will need time off for appointments. When you do get the see the DN she will probably be sending you to your local hospital clinic for a DESMOND course. Sorry I can't remember what it stands for, but is prob on the site somewhere. One of the things that will be drummed into you will be to eat plenty of carbohydrates at each meal - just nod as if it's all going in, but let it go out the other ear. Carbs are turned into glucose in the gut and what do we have problems with? That's it, sugar. There are lots of helpful low carb ideas and recipes on the website so it doesn't have to be too daunting.

I was diagnoses about two and a half years ago and by following the advice on here have got my levels really under control, so as I and thousands of other on the site have found, it does work. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are a bit daft, chances are that most of us have wondered what the answer to that question was.

Good luck with the DN appointment and keep positive.

Chris :thumbup:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Welcome to the (large) world of diabetics! A lot depends on whether you are overweight and possibly how old you are. If you are overweight as T2 then you are probably insulin resistant and will need to lose weight thru low-carbing until your weight comes into a good range. Your blood sugar should also reduce and you may be able to avoid meds at least for a while. If you are one of the 15-20% of T2s who are normal weight, recently lost weight etc then meds will be needed together with low-carbing to keep sugars down. You will need to get a meter and keep control of your blood sugar. Daisy will be along shortly to provide more info and links.

Allic1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Debs,

Just wanted to say, I hear you, I got diagnosed last Monday and it was a bit of a shock that I had got it quite so soon...

I'm back at the Doc's today I went elsewhere to see the Diabetic nurse as I couldn't get an appointment until 9th August, it's very frustrating as you want to know ASAP how it will effect you...

Good luck with everything!
Alli

debs6566

Thanks everyone - I am overweight Chris so I am hoping that by sticking to a diet - especially one with low carbs and increasing my exercise will help - Im really lucky as I dont have a high cholesterol and have a normal blood pressure. I am a nurse but I really only know about Type 1 diabetes and it makes sense to me as I was taught tin my training hat carbs turn into sugar just more slowly. Work are really good I think I just didnt want to rush to see the DN nurse cos I know what she is going to say. It will be interesting to hear what your DN says Alli - see if its different advice over there as I have read the service in Sweden I think are pro low carbs from what I can see on here. Im going push for a meter Diabell waiting for at least 3 months for a proper blood test is a waste of 3 months I feel. There is an awful lot of info to read just on hear but Im sure I will get there. Thank you everyone :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Debs and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information mentioned earlier which we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Carry on asking questions and, as you see, someone will come and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Netty70

Hi debs
Know exactly how you feel I was diagnosed two ago and a think I cried for about a month
Went to the docs thinking I was on the change hmm
Hope you get everything sorted once you get your head round the lifestyle and medication you will be fine

Good luck hun

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

debs6566

Many thanks Daisy 1 . cheers Netty still got the change to come summat else to look forward too :lol: I know its a shock but I work with kiddies with life limiting illnesses whom I think who rather have Diabetes and not have to suffer as they do so we can all do it together and beat the ****** :) (not that Diabetes is a trivial condition)
Onwards and upwards or hopefully downwards in weight for me have a good evening all

DaveHUK

Yes, good luck Debs. I too was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and it can be quite a shock initially.

I was lucky as I managed to see the diabetic nurse immediately after the doc told me - as the nurse had an appointment cancel.

In retrospect however that probably wasn't a good idea because I was still in shock and pretty much forgot everything she said. Anyway I will be seeing her again.

I, like many, am simply trying to take everything in and try to educate myself in terms if what action I should be taking.

I am making notes of things I want to ask the nurse next time but after having spoken with friends who have diabetes I am trying to watch the carbs, exercise and have today ordered a BS monitor.

I am sure you will start to formulate a plan that works for you. You are certainly not alone and I agree, I have found this site extremely helpful.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Debs,

Welcome to the increasingly large community of people diagnosed early.

The good news is that you are in control.

You don't mention your weight, but many early-diagnosed T2's are overweight or obese. The next piece of good news is that losing that extra few kg can actually overcome diabetes. At the very least it will help with managing it.

Get active and watch the kind of carbs you eat and you stand a good chance of beating it.

Allic1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
debs6566 said:
Thanks everyone - I am overweight Chris so I am hoping that by sticking to a diet - especially one with low carbs and increasing my exercise will help - Im really lucky as I dont have a high cholesterol and have a normal blood pressure. I am a nurse but I really only know about Type 1 diabetes and it makes sense to me as I was taught tin my training hat carbs turn into sugar just more slowly. Work are really good I think I just didnt want to rush to see the DN nurse cos I know what she is going to say. It will be interesting to hear what your DN says Alli - see if its different advice over there as I have read the service in Sweden I think are pro low carbs from what I can see on here. Im going push for a meter Diabell waiting for at least 3 months for a proper blood test is a waste of 3 months I feel. There is an awful lot of info to read just on hear but Im sure I will get there. Thank you everyone :D

Hi Debs,

I saw my doc, who was pleased with me as I have lost 1.5kg (3.3 pounds) in just over a week from swapping white to brown, that was also the advice that the DN said, oh and she told me to cut out my milky coffee and change to tea (no way the smell of tea makes me heave!)

The Doc wants me to have at least 1/2 Ltr of milk a day because of my low Vit D, so much conflicting advice :crazy:

Anyway, she prescribed Metformin 1x500mg twice a day as my BG levels are not moving, even with trying to keep carbs below 150g a day. I did get a booklet and they advise having carbs, but the right ones :shifty: it also said about having weetabix and porridge but from doing a food diary they are a NO for me they send my BG level way to high :thumbdown: so I'm on 9 grain bread and salt reduced beans or poached eggs :wink:

Anyway I have had 2 tablets so far and yes they are working I have had 3 smiley faces on my monitor today so far! (eating the same as yesterday to see if it did work LOL)
Hoping that the side effects won't be that bad! :lolno:

Good luck and keep us updated!
Alli

debs6566

Glad your tablets seem to be working Alli. I have been a nurse all my working life and have seen terrible things done to Weetabix and porridge so that will never ever be an option for me but am finding it easier to refuse sweets, puddings and biscuits which is unheard of so here's hoping I can keep turning my nose up :roll:Hope your body is coping with all those beans :mrgreen: Just wondering how you cope with the heat?. Don't know whether you have heard but we are having a heatwave in old blighty!!! Im feeling really tired but not sure whether its down to diabetes or the flipping heat. Still 2 weeks until I see my DN got a feeling Im gonna feel underwhelmed but never mind.
Keep your chin up x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
A bit late but Hi Welcome :)
Missed ya first time around

debs6566

Andy12345 said:
A bit late but Hi Welcome :)
Missed ya first time around
Hi Andy don't know how you missed me im a big old orangutang! Oh and by the way I think you wouldn't survive on eating just jelly but boy your nails would look fabulous :p

Allic1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
debs6566 said:
Glad your tablets seem to be working Alli. I have been a nurse all my working life and have seen terrible things done to Weetabix and porridge so that will never ever be an option for me but am finding it easier to refuse sweets, puddings and biscuits which is unheard of so here's hoping I can keep turning my nose up :roll:Hope your body is coping with all those beans :mrgreen: Just wondering how you cope with the heat?. Don't know whether you have heard but we are having a heatwave in old blighty!!! Im feeling really tired but not sure whether its down to diabetes or the flipping heat. Still 2 weeks until I see my DN got a feeling Im gonna feel underwhelmed but never mind.
Keep your chin up x

Hi Debs,

I have been trying to send you a PM, but I can't :crazy:

Its cold over here in Melbourne a high of 12 today, the heat does get crazy hot some days in summer but you do get used to it and just drink plenty of water :lolno:

How did you get on with your DN? I am back to see mine 15th August, my Doc has increased my metformin to 2 on a night as my pre breakfast readings were still at 8mmol now down to 6.8 so thats an improvement!

Chat to you soon and good luck with the DN!
Alli :wave:

debs6566

Great news Alli well done with your drop in blood sugar :clap:
Well I have my appointment on Tuesday - cant say I am holding much hope for a fabulous Diabetic nurse because in my village GP practice I think everyone has multiple roles including castration chickens and milking :***:
Never mind I will go in with an open mind and a big list of questions so fingers crossed.
Thanks for trying to PM me I have no idea how this works so I will have a look.
Keep up the good work and just think how your saving your eyesight, your circulation, your pancreas and all the other bits that can go wrong :p
Debs x

Allic1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
debs6566 said:
Great news Alli well done with your drop in blood sugar :clap:
Well I have my appointment on Tuesday - cant say I am holding much hope for a fabulous Diabetic nurse because in my village GP practice I think everyone has multiple roles including castration chickens and milking :***:
Never mind I will go in with an open mind and a big list of questions so fingers crossed.
Thanks for trying to PM me I have no idea how this works so I will have a look.
Keep up the good work and just think how your saving your eyesight, your circulation, your pancreas and all the other bits that can go wrong :p
Debs x

Good luck for today!

And I can now do PM's so sent you one :shh:
The low morning reading didn't last long it went back up the last 3 mornings :crazy:

Let me know how you go!
Alli x

sarahanne

I too was in mourning after being diagnosed in May this year, I am still getting my head around the changes, getting to know what foods spike me and making sure I eat regualar meals (this was my downfall, skipping meals!). But having read up on the internet and this site, especially the forum has been great and really helpful to me. I aim to lose 2 stone in the next few months, motivation is hard sometimes especially as the low fat foods i enjoyed previously are full of sugars of some sort so i am re-educating myself, slowly but surely and am grateful that I can do something about this, my initial thoughts were brain tumours, cancer etc before diagnosis. You will find this site is a life line just like me, hang in there. :thumbup:

Sarah

debs6566

:D Hi I have seen my DN and she was lovely. She wanted to know how I was feeling and offered me a BM machine (well in fact two different kinds!) I was in for nearly an hour and she directed me to websites. She advised that I take my BM twice a week on waking (already tried it 3 times ). she made sure I knew how to use it. She was very supportive and she is in three times a week so I can go anytime and not have to wait for " Diabetic Clinic" as the receptionist said. There aren't any Desmond courses anywhere near me - like in next counties even but she will follow it up. She also said I could ring her anytime if I just wanted to talk or for support - which obviously upset me cos I was ready for a fight . Having another HBa1c test end of August and a double appointment to see how things going so all in all thumbs up for my DN :clap: she must be alright she is a Debra too :p
Thanks Sarah I accidentally had some apple crumble today (you know how it just falls in your mouth when you least expect it!) and I didn't even really enjoy - I even left some which has never been known
Thanks Alli I really appreciate your support x sorry I cant read your PM I have tried to contact the administrator again so fingers crossed. Try not to be down hearted about your fasting blood sugar its the long term that's important. My BM was 7.2 this morning ( might have been that cheeky fruity cider I had last night) knowledge is power at least we all know we have Diabetes and have a chance to try and control it.
Debs :D