Binge eating?

DanielBail

Shell1 said:
You just have to inject for snacks and also give correction shots,have they shown you how yet .that way carb counting really helps keep good control but its just getting your ratios right first

Not really. My doctor has pretty much said 3meals a day and explained the Mediterranean diet to me. I get alot of spikes when the erge to snack overwellms lol I have only had 1 hypo so far but it scared the **** outa me and have been soo nervous with insulin adjustment since

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Never heard of that diet,sorry.the nurse said you have to make it work for you not the other way round .not everyone eats 3 meals a day some people little and often . My daughter was diagnosed 4 months ago and she is so thin but always hungry . She can eat snacks like 2 Jacobs crackers with cheese or a packet of raisans or bag of wotsits without injecting.anything under 10 carbs is usually ok to eat without it affecting your bloods we used to get upset when she was high but now when she high we just press bolus on her metre and it tells us how much insulin to give there and then to bring her back under 7.as you are prob still going through the honeymoon period as well you will be able to eat more without it affecting your bloods as dramatically,it's really hard at the beginning and so much to take in but I promise it does get easier

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
And as long as you catch hypos quick you will be fine and will stop them at mild .you will soon no there coming on as you will have same symptoms every time my daughter feels hungry and hands shake a little so we no she's having one and can deal with it quick .everything scary at first butwill soon become the norm and it won't become such a worry

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sarah69 said:
claymic said:
No i know they will put me on it so i have been avoiding going for my check up. Thinking about how much weight i ll probably put on with insulin fills me with more dread. I an already overweight as it is. So it would be vicious circle of insulin more weight gain more insulin. I don't think i ll be able to live like that

I can only speak from my own experience, I was diagnosed type 2 in 1997. I am 5' 7" at my heaviest I was just a little over 17st (The ideal weight they say for my height I have never been!) I gained all the weight whilst on insulin, in the end it was a viscous circle I was always hungry so eating more then having to inject more! I was put on Byetta at the end of May and I currently weigh 14st 2lbs, still have weight to lose and I'm never hungry! I understand your dread of insulin because im like that now because I know if I have to go back on it I will put the weight back on!

I know this post is not about binge eating although I do on chocolate about once a month, I would never be able to give it up although I have cut down from eating 2/3 120g bars a day to just 1.

I was in denial with my diabetes for a long time, I took the tablets when I remembered to, I went onto insulin also took that when I remembered. It wasn't till I had DKA in August 2010 and was very ill, I then started to take it seriously! I know a little more about it than I did and there are lots of people on this forum that are way more knowledgable than I ever will be. So please try and take control of your diabetes before it takes control of you.

Thanks for your post. I have been on byetta since 2009. That year with eating healthy and the new medication i lost 3 stones. I promised myself i would not gain it back but alas i did most of it. Still on byetta but i guess its not working

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Hi all
I've been binge eating for about three years...especially in the evening when after my meal it seems to set off a craving I cannot control...
Saw a psychologist recently who gave me an article to read "The Werewolf Syndrome" - I was so disgusted about the perjorative nature of the title that I immediately ate two cakes! :lol:

Seriously though its a merry go around and the doctors have taken no notice of me talking about research into grahalin (spelling?) and insulin making me hungry. I've just accepted that I'm trying to do a low carb diet and also that I would rather run high than have hypos despite the long term effects. And I am very well aware of those as my mother was a double amputee.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Just wondering is it type 2 they suggest low carbing ?my little girl type one and been told to eat what carbs she likes as that what multiple injections are for ? So you can actually eat what you want regardless to carbs we just have to watch the sugars if it was 20 carbs the sugar shud be at least half the carbs so ten and under of which sugars should be fine ?im scared to death of the complications and if over 7 I get worried .to be honest hypos scared the hell out of me when I read the horror stories and imaging her in a coma but the reality is yes she may have one everyday but she has the symptoms we deal with it and she never has chance to drop to a scary level

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shell1 said:
Just wondering is it type 2 they suggest low carbing ?my little girl type one and been told to eat what carbs she likes as that what multiple injections are for ? So you can actually eat what you want regardless to carbs we just have to watch the sugars if it was 20 carbs the sugar shud be at least half the carbs so ten and under of which sugars should be fine ?im scared to death of the complications and if over 7 I get worried .to be honest hypos scared the hell out of me when I read the horror stories and imaging her in a coma but the reality is yes she may have one everyday but she has the symptoms we deal with it and she never has chance to drop to a scary level

I choose not to low carb, I inject for any snack over 10g carb. I essentially eat what I like (excluding jelly sweets or non diet fizzy juice or fruit juice etc) if I want pudding when eating in a restaurant, I just calculate and inject for it. For T1s I see low carb as a last resort if you can't control it any other way. You do have to be sensible though and not take the mickey!

One benefit of low carb is that less insulin is needed, and less insulin means less severe hypos. But for a child I would think a "normal" diet will mean she does feel even more different to everyone else

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Yep that's how I see it and we have good control but not sure it that will change when she out the honeymoon period?did not like her snacking at first as also not good for teeth but if she is hungry which she has been since starting insulin I try make it under 10 carbs . She's hopefully going on the omnipod in October which will make life easier they said it pumps insulin every 3 minutes which is more like a real pancreas and will help get even better control

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shell1 said:
Yep that's how I see it and we have good control but not sure it that will change when she out the honeymoon period?did not like her snacking at first as also not good for teeth but if she is hungry which she has been since starting insulin I try make it under 10 carbs . She's hopefully going on the omnipod in October which will make life easier they said it pumps insulin every 3 minutes which is more like a real pancreas and will help get even better control

I wish I was getting a pump :( one of the downfalls of a mature diagnosis!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shell1 said:

I wish I was getting a pump :( one of the downfalls of a mature diagnosis!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shell1 said:
That's awful there not available to everyone

There are fairly right criteria to get them, and because my control is fairly good I don't fit! I'm still in the honeymoon so they won't talk about it yet, but maybe one day........

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter still honeymoon and bloods are brill very very rare there over 10 I don't no how she's met criteria but I'm pleased about it as she hates injecting

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shell1 said:
My daughter still honeymoon and bloods are brill very very rare there over 10 I don't no how she's met criteria but I'm pleased about it as she hates injecting

Pumps are much more freely available to kids, I don't know why. I'm 23 now so as much as I try to deny it I think I'm technically an adult now haha

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 35 and got pump earlier this year. mainly because my basal needs are very little still but suffered from dp. Need alot more bolus in comparison now.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app