How much alcohol does everyone drink?

Doczoc

Since being diagnosed, all of two weeks, I find I've been drinking more than I have done for a long time. I'm only talking half a bottle every three or four days as I rarely drink, despite my GPs suspicion given my fatty liver. Should I be worried about this, is it too much? The Doc didn't need to say I needed to avoid alcohol and said my fatty liver condition was nothing to wory about. How much is too much?

Jenny

Half a bottle of what?

I have the best part of a bottle of red wine most days, generally with my evening meal. I try to avoid anything over 12% - 12.5% although there are some good value bottles above that and a heavy red is a delight. The diabetic nurse re4commended that I have 2 alcohol free days each week. That said you get to an age when the little pleasures mean more than.........

Half a bottle of spirits would be another matter as you would reach the recommended limit for a week in 2 days.

Doczoc

LOL half a bottle of wine, I'd be in a mess if I went from a virtual teetotal state to half a bottle of spirits a night.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I don't drink alcohol at all. I used to - was able to drink pints then move onto spirits, then back onto pints... yes I'm sooo feminine! :lol: .... but when I hit about 24 I started getting hangovers, which I hadn't suffered from before. So I jacked it in. Don't miss it at all. I might have a glass of champagne at Christmas though. :D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
None. Up to about 25 years ago I used to accept a glass of wine with a meal to be sociable. It affected my sleep, so I gave up completely. Now I stick to tea :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's wise to check the leaflet which comes with wny medicine you take, for alcohol warnings. Beyond that it's just the same as anyone
. I think that insulin users need to be careful, because if you have a hypo, it can be confused with drunkenness and you don't get the right help. I have a vaguer recollection of someone's dying in a police cell because of that. ( or was it on TV? it was a long time ago)
I personally have had one glass of Lambrusco rose in the last couple of months

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Virtually none and don't other people find that uncomfortable!

We were bought up with a bit of a wine buff of a father and he always offered us wine. I used to drink it to be sociable but it always tasted like vinegar to me. Still does.
I was in the army in my teens and drank, ahem, 'well'.

The only thing I will very occasionally give in to is a long, cold G&T in the summer or a glass of Fizz on high holidays. Not a Brut though, that tastes like sucking copper coins to me.

Funnily enough, a large proportion of my direct family don't suffer from hangovers, including me, so no fear of horrid after effects!

Actually, I would dearly love to enjoy a glass of red, but I wouldn't know where to start. I also live on my own so I'm not buying bottles to taste. The benefits of a glass are well documented and it would also stop those in my company squirming when I'm chugging back iced tap water. Restaurants don't get much profit out of me, that's for sure.

Is there such a thing as a wine tasting course for the ignorant with shocking tastebuds?

wiflib

jopar

With Type 1 diabetes as hanadr has already said a hypo could be mistaken as being drunk, and not getting the right treament..

But also problems occure, because while the liver is dealing with processing the alcohol it can't maintain the storing of the gluogen so this storage will keep depleteing as it's released onto the liver until all used, and the liver will not start reprocessing it until it has finished process the alcohol...

So a T1 diabetic has not only have to worry about how much certian alcoholic drinks have raised there levels, but also be aware of how long it could be before the gluogen process start up again... So even the next day after the hang over has gone, they are still very suceptable to having hypo's due to haveing both background/long acting insulin that in normal deals with whats coming off the liver dealing with any carbs that the person has ate and injected quick acting insulin for...

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i too do not drink any alcohol at all :D

Trinkwasser

I may have a glass of red wine in the evening with my meal.

Sometimes I don't.

Sometimes I may have another glass, or some more at night.

Sometimes I don't.

Occasionally I will have beer with a meal but limit that to half a pint, more and the carbs outrun the alcohol in their effect on my BG.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi

I don't drink anything either and haven't done for about 30 years but I also have a fatty liver. You should not be drinking if you have a fatty liver as I think this can make it worse. A good website is the British Liver Trust, http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk, just search for fatty liver on there and it tells you what you need to do. :D

CJ

stevied

I have ordered a very very special bottle of Rioja for Xmas day,for when I get in from work.The guitar will be hummin that night. 8)

janie

Hi people,
Im the wife of a recently diagnosed type 2, after heart attack, no damage to heart thank god,
blood sugar under control now thanks to reading this forum and going low carb,
we are going to xmas party tomorrow, none of his drugs say anything about avoiding alchohol
would anyone like to say what he would be best drinking, he likes Jack Daniels , maybe a shot in a long glass?? or is he best with beer. Dont mean too many but just to join in!!
thanks, janie

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I've been to my first Xmas party tonight, had 2 glasses of white wine (can't stand red) this was my first drink since bonfire night! I used to have vodka and coke when I went clubbing but my friend is expecting a baby on 5th January so no more going out for a while! Janie, I would say that your hubby is best with his JD. He can have it with a diet mixer if he wants, it shouldn't make too much of a difference to his BG levels. In fact, some of the peeps on here say it lowers their levels the next morning! :wink: Have fun,

Bubsy

janie

thanks,Graham and Bubsy,
will tell him to drink JD with diet coke of course,
just to say what a great forum,took me a while to post but won't hesitate in future
i am trying to help him and the advice on here is great
Janie

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi janie, welcome to the forum and thanks for the thumbs up!
Your husband should be fine with dry wines and spirits with diet mixers. Wish him a full and speedy recovery from all of us here.

Cheers!

fergus

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
Dont drink at all...my treat though is going to be brandy cream on my christmas pudding :wink:

colrow

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a member of AA and I don't drink at all now, I slipped off the wagon three and a half years ago for a few months, and the diabetes nurses reckoned it was my alcoholism tipped me over into type 2 diabets

rubik101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fat!
More than I should but as much as it takes!
A couple of beers before dinner followed by up to a bottle of red for the rest of the evening.
I know it's too much but it's all I have left of my vices!
No sugar, no smoking, lots of excercise and fresh air. I've never been fitter!