Any thoughts on Coffee

Esther1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on coffee with coffee mate light having an adverse effect on their bg levels.
It appears to be taking me from around 8 two hours after eating up to around 12 after a cup or two of coffee?? I am confused...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never used the stuff TBH, but I do know that the hot drinks vending machines contains glucose syrup in the whitening, check the ingredients on the packaging to see.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I would advise that you avoid the stuff as a diabetic but instead use Lactofree milk with your coffee-with the natural sugars removed.ie the 'Lactose' it will be FAR kinder on your levels with the added bonus of tasting the same as regular milk..or..cream is LOVELY in coffee! :D

Geocacher

Coffeemate contains glucose and, worse still, hydrogenated vegetable oil. Glucose raises your blood sugar and hydrogenated fats raise your cholesterol.

Normal milk or cream are far better than any of the fake stuff, just use them in moderation because they do contain a small amount of natural sugar. As a general rule the more fat the less sugar (lactose), so in terms of carbohydrates cream is better than milk and full fat milk, which is only 3% fat, is better than skimmed milk which is 1% fat.

Esther1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys,
I assumed as it is coffee mate light that it was light in sugar like 7-up light - wrong! We all know u should never" ass u me"!! just checked the pack and it says 5.5g carbohydrate per serving and even if I am greedy with it and have twice average serving surely it shouldn't raise my levels so much? Anyway the "blend of glucose and vegetable oil" has kinda put me off - will stick to cream :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I just use silver top milk as delivered by the milkman. I sometimes add cream too, but not sugar. in my mind I always think anything labelled "lite" is low in fat and often high in sugar for that reason. Cream is the lowest sugar coffee whitener.
Hana

I am sure that all the Coffee mate substances are pretty high in glucose in one form or another. My mother used to use it and I had to ask her not to make me coffee with coffe mate in because it was not good for blood sugar readings.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I know coffee mate contains 2g of carbs per teaspoon, which I'd say is quite a lot. That's probably what's affecting your readings.

3XIns.png

A

Anonymous

Esther1411 said:
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on coffee with coffee mate light having an adverse effect on their bg levels.
It appears to be taking me from around 8 two hours after eating up to around 12 after a cup or two of coffee?? I am confused...

Silly question maybe, but have you tested yourself after the same period of time without coffee or with black coffee? Maybe try water instead....it'll be hard I know! 10 mugs of black coffee per day do nothing for my bGs, but I never stray far from a loo!

saloplass

What suits one does not suit another, that is the trouble. And finding experts or tutors who even read off the same hymn sheet is near impossible. I was told never to use this stuff in drinks, so other than tea I drink coffee's black now. Moving my glucose levels down seems very hard work - unless I don't eat!! Which does not work at all.

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a program on last night "the men who made us fat" still available online. About how the food industry stopped reports and scientists that were against sugar and promoted fat as the bad guy, and even worse went to fructose as a cheap sweetener. Why we got healthy foods high in sugar content.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App