Teeth

Redeyes

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just a quick question,
For the last 10 years I've had a lot of problems with my teeth , I've had type1 for 28yrs I got it when I was 5 .
My teeth are ruined , I've always brushed and cleaned but I went through a bad patch in my life where I wanted to enjoy myself but since then my teeth don't last long ?
I'm just wondering if anybody else has had any problems , I always seem to have problems with the roots and abscess , the problem is really getting me down , my bloods are good and I'm fit (full contact kickboxer) but I've had to have so many teeth out that I can't smile ???
Please help

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I hate my teeth too. Got receded gums that apparently is another disease that 16% is linked to being diabetic.

Me, I would love to have my teeth out and just have falsies.. But no dentist will do it. I do know one chap who had this done who went to Wales to have his teeth all out.... It made a huge difference to his life.. I would like to smile properly even if it was with falsies!!

I too always cleaned, brushed and looked after and I feel misrable everyday when I do my teeth.. Each time I wish I had my brothers teeth.. Both theirs are perfect.

My mum says no-one notices my teeth.. But it makes no odds what anybody says.. I do. I see good teeth on tv and bad.. And again I notice them.. But again my mum says she doesnt..

I also have big gaps from a horrible dentist when I was young.. Who took out teeth unecessarily and I even paid privately for a brace at 28 years old.. But it didnt make any difference as damage done and pretty much too old by then...

I do so sympathise, but I dont know how to make you feel better about them. I so wish I did, but you're certainly not alone.

ukbusybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have gum disease, which made me get tested for diabetes. That's how I found out I was type 2 diabetic. I've been seeing a periodontist for 5 years but, despite me cleaning teeth religiously, I've now lost 3 teeth. Although I have been to the normal dentist and now have a partial denture. My teeth look so much better, I wish I'd had my long 'fang' out ages ago! If you're not happy with your dentist join another practice.

StephenM

My teeth were fine until my mid-teens. At that time the family changed dentists. Sadly he was what is now known as a “driller killer”. :( He basically filled every one of my back teeth. Apparently this was because any uneven surface could be source of decay. Since then I have had a number of dentists only two of whom I though highly competent. Two were totally incompetent and ultimately cost me a few teeth. The main problem is that over the years the unnecessary work done as a teenager has needed redoing with some needing root canal work and/or a crown. This together with the in-between meal snacking (common for the first 20+ years of diagnosis) means I do not have very good teeth although they look OK if I don’t open wide! 8) Wish I could grow a third set! :)

Mimastones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I've been T1 for 7 years and am 20 yrs old. Within the last two years the look of my teeth has deteriorated shockingly fast, the enamel has just worn away. I recently went to a consultation to get veneers but was told that I would need at least EIGHT root canals before this could happen. He also told me that he could see that my mouth was incredible clean and it was obvious the decay wasn't due to lack of dental hygiene. At 20 years old I can't even entertain the idea of loosing any teeth so am having the surgeries but it is going to cost so much money. I think it's appalling that diabetics can't get free dental care on the NHS. We already have one horror to live with I don't think we should have to pay for the damage it does to us.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
My teeth are awful. Really bad. I've always had problems and I've had most of my back teeth taken out. It's horrible. I hate it. Went to stay at my mums last week and all she did was moan about my teeth. If I won the lottery, I would have all my teeth fitted with implants.

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
My sister who is 47 has no fillings and I have many as well as a full gold crown at 48 year's old. My teeth happen to be very "jumbly" and the gaps are danger points as they can trap food. I have flossed for years, but my last dentist was also advising me to use inter dental brushes.

He kept asking me if I had sugar in tea and coffee and I said no. I don't like sugary drinks. I think that my saliva must have been high in sugar for him to ask these questions. This was all before the diagnosis.

Since my diabetes diagnosis, I have avoided my dentist as I didn't want him mucking around with my teeth too much. When I get my Christmas bonus, I will book an appointment.