Food Rant!

Lady_luce_x

I had a really stressful weekend, and having a rather dire day in the office! I just came in with my lunch, which wasn't my usual "healthy" option.. I had a sandwhich and a tiny milionaire shortbread thing. Did my blood test, told my pump what i was having, all groovy... or so i thought. A colleague who was sat opposite me jumped down my throat like a ton of bricks "oh my god why are you eating flapjack?!" Number 1.. its not flapjack, and number 2, err because i want to ? :roll:
Few minutes later "White bread?!! you can't eat white bread!" So by now she is really pushing me, like yes its a white bread sandwhich. We had no brown bread left, and i rarely eat bread anyway. She started banging on about complex carbs, so I just continued eating and ignored it basically.

She is type 2 and seems to think because she is diabetic, she can lecture me on what i should and shouldn't do. It absaloutely drives me mad! She has limited understanding of type 1 and NO understanding of my insulin pump etc. I would hate to offend her by telling her to #### off, but seriously, how can I nicely interrupt her rant next time this happens?! eugh.

H

Hooked

Lady_luce_x said:
I had a really stressful weekend, and having a rather dire day in the office! I just came in with my lunch, which wasn't my usual "healthy" option.. I had a sandwhich and a tiny milionaire shortbread thing. Did my blood test, told my pump what i was having, all groovy... or so i thought. A colleague who was sat opposite me jumped down my throat like a ton of bricks "oh my god why are you eating flapjack?!" Number 1.. its not flapjack, and number 2, err because i want to ? :roll:
Few minutes later "White bread?!! you can't eat white bread!" So by now she is really pushing me, like yes its a white bread sandwhich. We had no brown bread left, and i rarely eat bread anyway. She started banging on about complex carbs, so I just continued eating and ignored it basically.

She is type 2 and seems to think because she is diabetic, she can lecture me on what i should and shouldn't do. It absaloutely drives me mad! She has limited understanding of type 1 and NO understanding of my insulin pump etc. I would hate to offend her by telling her to #### off, but seriously, how can I nicely interrupt her rant next time this happens?! eugh.

Just ask her complex questions regarding the pump and what she thinks you should do to totally throw her. Or perhaps, "Oh you know, you are so right. I'll disregard the advice given to me regarding my TYPE ONE diabetes from professional medical people and do what you tell me instead."

Grrrh. Would she jump down another co workers throat if they were overweight and decided to have a bacon sandwich for lunch?! I hate people who feel the need to comment on every morsel that passes our lips. They should mind their own business!

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ask her how much insulin you should take for brown bread and tell her you already know how to cater for what you are eating.

Don't know much about it but seems that type 1's are lucky in some ways that they can adjust for whatever they eat - but the the big downside is that they always have to adjust. Don't think I could cope (may find out one day) and admire people that do.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gwilo

I always find people with a little knowledge far more dangerous and irritating than those that have none. Narrow beaten by those that have none and pretend they wrote the book on the subject!

I'm finding the same reaction - today, a small serving of chicken salad and one of beef salad was, rather than being dumped in bowl and smothered in home made curry dip (0% fat greek yog, curry paste...yum yum), encased in two tortilla wraps.
My boss sees this and says "isn't that like bread? Bread isn't safe".

Now, I know it will cause a spike, but does that mean I'm never allowed? Obviously, it does to some observers....
I'd be very inclined to tell your colleague, calmly, to manage her own condition and you'll manage yours.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I hate people like that. I eat what I want and carb count. And you know what, sometimes I get it wrong but who cares. It's my body.

Show her your pump and say this means you can eat whatever. Then ask her if she's just jealous that you can eat that stuff.

I get so angry. I'm feeling angry on your behalf. How on earth did you keep your cool?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
GGrrrr was my immediate response - I certainly would not of been able to hold my tongue !!

However given a little thought she must care about you to want to say something..(i'm just guessing here !!)

The next time she says something, I would advise her that as she well knows living with her condition, that you know enough about yours to understand how to calculate your carb ratios and that given the fact you are able to do this then you can take the correct insulin dose, sadly unless you do say something then she will always want to have her 2 pennies worth.

Good luck :thumbup:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Lady_luce_x said:

Ermmmm, rudeness comes to mind, but it's about your dietary requirements not hers, and you could just say, ;Oh, do you have type 1 as well?' she will then say no, then ''please don't lecture me on what I am eating, I know what I am doing, and it is likely to offend'' and sit somewhere else or just carry on with what you are doing. sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it sometimes, she sounds as though she could do with a few social skills :wink: MANNERS :x

Take care and best wishes RRB :)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
That's another reason I don't tell people I'm diabetic because they all think they know better!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lady_luce_x said:

Just tell her to keep her neck out of your business, I would deliberately get another white bread sandwich tomorrow just so I could tell her :twisted:

Netty70

I agree with everyone
I am T2 and would definately not comment on what a T1 does as I don't know if anything I'm nosey lol so I would be interested and ask questions
If she pokes her nose in again tell her to do one
Good luck :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my first approach would be to try and educate her as to the differences between T1 and T2. I'm finding that a lot of people are quite ignorant of the distinction and are quite happy to have an explanation .

Lady_luce_x

Thank you for the replies, its good to see that I wasn't just being over sensitive or anything. In the end I didn't say anything more to her, I'm generally not a confrontational person and I didn't want to create a tense atmosphere. Next time I will just make sure I properly correct her when she tries to lecture me. Hopefully if I throw a load of information at her she may not dare to try and give me advice again!

candiloo

Tellhere everyone is different and if she really understood her diabetes, and did the carb counting and injecting accordingly system, she would know that you can eat what the hell you like and will know how much to inject to counter it. The carb counting is good for dieting too, but if you want to have a moment and eat a whole bar of chocolate - you can. Not 3 at once or every day, but you can.