Back to School Tips - Share Yours!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is nearly that time of year again… for most parents, they look forward to children going back to school and having a peaceful household once again but for those with children with diabetes there is always a worry of how they will deal with their condition and school.

Do you have any tips to share to other parents about helping your child deal with diabetes at school?

flemmycfc

hi just a quick reply to your comment.

im not a parent myself .but i still attend school. At school at help that your childs friends know about there condition. and they no how to maybe look for hypos. it also help if the school know . such as my school have been great. they have boxes for everybody in the school with diabetes and have there name on it. with thing in it such as lucozade,dextros,lancets,needles. and so on and if i need to leave at any point i can.

i know this may not help because im not a parent. but i hope this may help your child at school

thanks

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done flemmy
I am sure your reply will be just as helpful as any parents if not more so
CAROL

flemmycfc

carty said:
Well done flemmy
I am sure your reply will be just as helpful as any parents if not more so
CAROL
Thanks carol im new around here and just want to help people and share any advice ive had

SPARKLE4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI, the school I work at has pupils with diabetes and they each have their own box with their name on containing hypo treatments, spare accessories for the machines/kits etc, emergency contact numbers and information on how to deal with the different levels of glucose readings e.g what is a low/high reading and how to deal with it appropriately. Hope this helps. x

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Here's a couple of tips. Your child is a normal person.

Get a uniform.

Get some stationery.

Get a bag.

Take their meds.

Tell people who need to know.

Stop wrapping them in cotton wool and they will thrive.

It is all very simple.

They aren't handicapped. Please don't force the victim mentality down their throat.

Ps: there's a children/families/parent forum, I worked 13 hours in Milton Keynes the last three days and forgot my insulin on day one and I'm ok. Who put the fear in you? It's not like you will peg it if no one is watching you 24/7. It's common sense. Tell your teachers and those you circulate amongst. It's not AIDS and no one asks for it. I'm not being facetious and if it sounds harsh, then so is having a condition that needs to be managed. I'm telling it like it is. I'm not proud of it, in fact it's a pain in the rear. Do what ya gotta do. Life rocks, you just need to inject after meals. Dead easy. If your child for whatever reason cannot self inject, inform the school first aider. Every school MUST by law have at least one. Give your kid the chance to enjoy life before you smother them and be afraid that they can't cycle, run, climb trees because they have diabetes. I wish your child the very best in life and that they enjoy it to the fullest and learn to manage it properly. All the best, I don't mean harm, much love x

Mart :D

faeoj

love this mart! im glad im not the only one who thinks like this! my mum and dad showed me everything that needed to be done then let me make my own mistakes! almost guaranteed that I never made them again! the more they fussed the less I got on with things! school is hard enough without diabetes so kids need to act as if its not there as much as possible or they will never fit in! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MrsDMiles

Mart
My 3 year old diagnosed in feb, I've had really rubbish couple days upset a lot.
That message is just what I needed!
Tomorrow is a new day.. No more tears. Thank you x

faeoj

I have a couple of diabetic friends who were diagnosed when they were babies and we met in school. I was diagnosed at 7 but my mum and dad both worked full time whereas theres didn't so could go into school and sort their kids out. it honestly done them no favours as when they got to high school they couldn't so anything for themselves so stuck out in the crowd! at the end of the day what you have to remeber it is a horrible disease but I could have something a lot worse! its manageable and treatable unlike some other diseases..so lets just be happy with our lot! I hope your little one is doing ok!! x

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Sometimes the back to basics approach is the only way and you just need a kick uo the bum. So pleased you took it as meant! I'm not offensive and only tried to tell you how it is. This isn't always received in the right way, so thank you. He'll be fine! I promise. Kids with asthma get on with it. Love Mart x

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Thanks to fae and Mrs D Miles :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All ...

Kids ARE resilient,robust and tough little souls .
It is usually adults/parents that feel the fear/health factors mostly .

Preventing this to erode/eat away at any confidence you may have once had ?

Best solution is to tackle all things head on positively .
Don't let/allow fear or uncertainty to wear you down .
Battle on positively and it will be soooo productive .

Your child does/will pick up any adults/parents insecurity or under confidence .
P.S any tears or fears - hop over to the DCUK parents forum.
There are loads of fantastic members/parents willing to support you there ... :)

This is how we can share and help each other here :thumbup:

Anna .

MrsDMiles

Thank you!
It's just crazy how much I love and adore him, I need to stop being scared, he is a beautiful and confident little boy who makes me proud everyday!
Hoping he will be wearing the artifical pancreas by time he hits high school!! I was even scared of buying a house in a different area, how ridiculous! Lots of love x x

Lia Jhone

Before once i have mention about my friend who is diabetic in this same forum. ?I met her from college. she use to eat only home made food which her mom use to prepare.