DAFNE course

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Can someone please explain what Dafne courses are/what it means? I have seen people mention them on here but don't know what they mean, and whether it would help me. (Type 2 for 14 years, on insulin for 3 months) I am still on a learning curve, and any useful info would be a great help. Thanks. :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dafne (dose adjustment for normal eating)
the course helps with carb counting and adjusting insulin to match carbs. Also explains about basal testing/adjusting to get that right. Other things mentioned includes alchohol, exercise. I'm sure type 2 are allowed to do the course. Mixed reviews about the course done benefing, some not. Think it depends on the course instructor really. As a type 1 found the course very good. Was carb counting prior but was a good course.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
For type 2's the course is I believe called DESMOND rather than DAFNE.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Leesmall, if they say no to DAFNE then ask about the DESMOND course. :)

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

jackiemac

I found the DAFNE course has improved my quality of life. it would not work for type 2 even if you are on insulin as you are still producing some insulin and it would be difficult to calculate the amount of rapid insulin you need with each meal. I am type 1 diagnosed a just under a year ago and although I leant the skills could not use it to the full advantaged as it was found I am honeymooning. I believe all diabetics should be given a chance of some structured education what ever their type.

Dee2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wasps..seafood..stray dogs
I have secondary diabetes (a side effect of medication) I am offically a type 2 but Insulin dependent and taking 4 metformin a day..what course would I need..Dafne has been mentioned..what does Desmond stand for please

michelereid2002

E~pert is another form of help

Attending the X-PERT Diabetes programme will increase your knowledge skills and understanding of your condition and help you to make lifestyle choices to manage your blood glucose levels more effectively

What is it?
Group education delivered by trained educators: 2½ hour sessions over 6 weeks with annual follow-up sessions. An overview of the X-PERT Diabetes Programme can be found here .  You will also receive a 83-page comprehensive handbook of the programme.

Who can attend?
People with Type 1 diabetes
People with Type 2 diabetes, regardless of treatment 

How will I benefit from attending?
You will have the opportunity to explore how your body works and how lifestyle modifications may help to improve your diabetes control. The aim is not to tell you what you should and shouldn’t do, but to help and support you in setting realistic goals to address concerns that you may have with your lifestyle such as what you eat and how active you are. Possible benefits from attending are:

•    Lower blood glucose
•    Dispelling dietary myths allowing increased dietary freedom
•    Healthier eating
•    Increase carbohydrate awareness
•    Increased energy levels
•    Improved fitness
•    Improved wellbeing and quality of life
•    Lower blood pressure
•    Lower blood cholesterol
•    Weight loss if appropriate
•    Reduced risk of heart disease and other long-term condition

Is there a cost to attend?
No, X-PERT diabetes is usually delivered free through the NHS

Is it delivered in my area?
Find your nearest X-PERT Centre

What is my option if it not delivered in my area?
Please contact us.  Or you can buy the programme handbook or DVD from our on-line shop

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Thanks everyone. I will ask about the courses, as I am struggling to work out how to adjust my food intake. Still haven't seen a dietician despite weekly emails from the surgery for 3 months. My Bgs are steadier now, between 7 & 8 most days, but I need to fine-tune to reduce further, and am scared of hypos as I need my driving licence, living in a very rural area with no public transport.

badmedisin

Different areas sometimes have different names for the courses, but it's usually Dafne for t1 and Desmond for t2. I went on it after having badly controlled t1 for 20 years. The thing is, you already know how to carb count (read the label!) and test your BG and adjust your insulin dose, but do you know how to relate them all together to achieve good control? I didn't, and thanks to Dafne I do now. I went to one in Sandwell which was run by an amazing nurse & dietitian, and I truly think it's the most useful thing I've ever done. I know what to do now, I'm not scared of hypos, and I'm confident about avoiding DKA. You go every day for 5 days and it can be a lot of work, but totally worth it if it helps you avoid developing complications before. I'd never had an HbA1c below 10 before Dafne, now it's always around 7, so I guess we achieved something ;)

Type1Jim

dafne is well worth attending. 5 days though. Carb counting and ketone information are really helpful and then you just have to get the strips for a ketone meter.

George h

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did a dafne course and it was best thing I ever did, I was told when I did it that it was for type 1 only

inhil1982

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for the late reply all. Just adding the app. Yes my diabetes is much more better then ever before and its nice to know I can eat anything I want , plus knowing the right information from reading carbs and taking the right amount of insulin. Ita a big eye opener and its well worth going on this course for a week :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App