Email from Accu check

mchphoto

Hi

I received a email from Accu Check this morning, it's a sales email with a scare tactic twist in mind as it scares you into thinking that you meter is not accurate and is no good! Just because it is not one of their meters.

the email reads as follows:

Dear MICHAEL,

If you use ACCU-CHEK products, you'll be happy to hear that every ACCU-CHEK meter passed every study, every time.

But if you use one of these meters that failed and you're concerned about the accuracy of your test results, you can switch to the ACCU-CHEK meter of your choice right now for FREE.

Because your health is important to us, Roche has been going the extra mile to adhere to new global accuracy standards. Learn more about the eye-opening results of these accuracy studies. Then make the switch today to the ACCU-CHEK Aviva Plus or ACCU-CHEK Nano meter system.

For some people this will be worrying them a lot - has any one else received this today??

Who do I complain to as this is a misleading claim without back up and is it allowed. I did not think a company like Accu check would send out an email like this, but apparently it does.

Thanks

Michael

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All meters have to be within a certain tolerance to be on sale in the UK. It's just Accu-Chek blowing their own trumpet if the email is genuine, I'm registered with them and so far haven't received this email.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the correct place to complain is here.
http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

They do make these same claims online (US site), including a list of the meters tested that they claim failed and links to the papers. The first of these is freely available, the second behind a paywall and I haven't checked the third.
I'm not going to link but you can find it easily. I haven't the knowledge on the testing procedures used to really evaluate their claims; the ASA has.

mchphoto

Hi

Just after I posted this, I have lodge a complaint with the ASA as not right, I will let people know about this when I hear back from the ASA.

thanks

Michael