Reusing needles

BobCornelius

As previously said, reusing lancets could contaminate next test! Reusing needles is not something the NHS do, they are designed to be single use! By reusing needles, you might save the NHS about £15 a year, but if you get an infection and admitted, at £3500 per night, it's a no brainer!

:)

Bob

SimonClifford

And how often do people get admitted to hospital with repeat lancet-use infections? I've never heard if it happening, nobody I've spoken to has either.
The amount of blood left on a lancet would need to be quite significant to be noticeable on the next test. (try doing the sums with a "worst case" 10 followed by a 3, you'd need to contaminate with a full 10th of the volume to shift it from 3 to 4!) How much blood do you see left on a lancet?I've never seen any, let alone a 10th of a drop.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
I don't reuse needles and lancets to save NHS money. I do it because it's easier. Pen in pocket (with needle always attached) and some fast acting glucose and I'm good to go.

SimonClifford

I think it's fair to say there are many opinions about this. Every single one of them seems to be correct, whether its reusing a needle 10x or never; a lancet 1000x or once-only.
There are no dire infections & no hospital admissions. This tells me it's probably a bit of a molehill/mountain issue.
The long & short of it is, "if you're happy, you're doing alright."
Some folk have huge bags & carrying stuff isn't an issue. Other folks dash around with no pockets.
Some folk have sensitive skin which needs absolute care & others are lucky enough to have hides like leather.
The cost of them is trivial, so that isn't a deciding factor either.
So it comes down to "give it a try. Watch what works for you. You'll have to go a long way before something nasty happens. Experiment"

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
SimonClifford said:
I think it's fair to say there are many opinions about this. Every single one of them seems to be correct, whether its reusing a needle 10x or never; a lancet 1000x or once-only.
There are no dire infections & no hospital admissions. This tells me it's probably a bit of a molehill/mountain issue.
The long & short of it is, "if you're happy, you're doing alright."
Some folk have huge bags & carrying stuff isn't an issue. Other folks dash around with no pockets.
Some folk have sensitive skin which needs absolute care & others are lucky enough to have hides like leather.
The cost of them is trivial, so that isn't a deciding factor either.
So it comes down to "give it a try. Watch what works for you. You'll have to go a long way before something nasty happens. Experiment"

Wise words ! Just about sums it all up !

Barrie Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NHS and Prof Tony Weetman .
I was advised to do this many years ago , but ended up with Lipodystrophy , severe nerve inflamation . Took 6 months to get rid of , I could only walk 30 feet before totally siezing with pain .
The end of the needles form into hooks which tear at muscles and nerves , Dont Do It .

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd never heard of that Barrie, it sounds horrific. Hope all is well with you now.

I did reuse needles (but not Lancets) until a previous thread on this topic changed my ways. Does anyone know if there are risks attached to bacteria that passes through the skin and enters the bloodstream? If there is no site infection can the bacteria do harm elsewhere in the body?