Victoza

Indiana72

Hi Evrybody,
I need some help have just come off Byetta after 2years,it was making me feel awfull really ill. Over a short period I stopped both daily injections and now feel really good(most of the time) suger levels have'nt gone up. Am still taking my other medications,the nurse was not really happy but has now prescribed Victoza!!
Looked up Victoza on the web and could'nt believe the results really bad press in the USA. Byetta is suffering bad press as well I do not know what to do? Need some help on this.

DavidMH

I was recently told by my Spanish doctor that I would need to start injecting as my pancreas after a virus was no longer producing enough insulin. Having just watch the disturbing TV show (UK TV Channel 4 I think) about Victoza and Byetta having been associated with other 'problems' and the fact that the Federal Drugs Agency in USA and more recently their equivalent in Europe were 'keeping tabs on recent issues' I was very concerned. It seems the drug manufacturers want to prescribe those drugs as a way of combatting obesity, apparently they help you lose weight however, the side effects can affect some people more than others.

Anyway, the day arrived and my doctor confirmed his suspicions and said he was starting me immediately on insulin, I queried the type of injections he was prescribing, and before I mentioned any brand names etc, he said "in his opinion the Byetta/Victoza and another name I cannot recall, were not good for me, he also pointed out they were stimulants for the pancreas cells regeneration (as I understood it via my translator) but he was 'not happy' they would work for me despite being overweight?

I understand that they are OK for some and NOT for others, pretty much like most medications, anyway I got started on Lantus, still some minor control issues but it seems to be going in the right direction. I would spend some time getting research done but of course try to get a balanced opinion, the net has it's fair share of scaremongers, so research, read, discuss, analyse and ultimately make your own (informed) decision, it is your health after all.

Dave MH