Porridge With Topping of ...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Butter or cream should be OK - they won't affect your BG, should make the porridge more sustaining & unlikely to have an adverse affect on your cholesterol.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I love syrup on mine, when I have porridge that it!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just can't imagine butter on it. I don't understand why you would do that!!! I like some berries or a little sweetener. If I'm feeling rebellious I have some syrup (T1 carb counting so I can get away with it)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same as butter in coffee, it's just cream in another form and very tasty.

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
And the traditional way of making porridge is with water and added salt, it's supposed to be a savoury dish. It's just modern times when we've changed it to add sweet items in.
Personally I like a bit of cream and whiskey liquor in mine.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make mine with water definitely! But I've never gotten on board with the salt part

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Strange my post just disappeared yet my username was showing as having posted :crazy: here goes again....

I couldn't add salt to mine. I use part milk/water and add linseed's, pumpkin seeds, natural yogurt and blueberries which give it a sweeter taste, I eat this breakfast 6 days out of 7 and still look forward to eating it every morning :)

sparkyrich

hale710 said:
Sweetener and salt?!?

My dad was a Geordie and preferred it savoury so cooked it with salt. Us kids used to add sugar afterwards. I guess old habits die hard cos it tastes strange when my better half makes it without the salt !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
nomistheman said:
.....but, was wondering if having a topping of butter on the porridge negates the effect the porridge will have on my cholesterol? Can anyone advise?

Woof! That makes my peanut butter, beetroot and tomato sauce sarnies sound civilised! :mrgreen:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
wiflib said:

It is indeed and it was you saying about it that got me onto it in fact! :D although some family members are horrified by the sight! :lol:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
paul-1976 said:
wiflib said:

It is indeed and it was you saying about it that got me onto it in fact! :D although some family members are horrified by the sight! :lol:

It's bloody wonderful, isn't it Paul, especially a really good, grass fed cow, French butter.

wiflib

Daff

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brussel sprouts and aubergines...
lrw60 said:
nomistheman said:
.....but, was wondering if having a topping of butter on the porridge negates the effect the porridge will have on my cholesterol? Can anyone advise?

Woof! That makes my peanut butter, beetroot and tomato sauce sarnies sound civilised! :mrgreen:
Yak! :sick: :lol:

stutheblue72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have mine with 1% fat milk, sprinkle some sweetener on and once cooked stir in some cinnamon which is also beneficial to reducing sugar levels

GrannyJen

As a runner I use porridge as part of my staple diet and also when carb loading for a race or event. I make my base porridge only with water, and like many find it pretty tasteless.

To me though it negates all the good qualities to flavour it with lashings of saturated fats and sugars. I often mix a low fat yoghurt into mine, berries in season... blueberries especially, fruity granola is good. Even low-fat yoghurt gives it a creamy texture, granola can provide crunch and fruit loads of flavour. Mango is another favourrite of mine, chopped into sall pieces and stirred in with the yoghurt.