Can I re-use Lancets?

donnajv212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting for me I'm newly diagnosed 3 weeks now and use the one touch I change mine once a day as was finding any longer was hurting I was told to change after every test but I know a few who don't I guess its up to you x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Every 5 - 10 tests which is every couple of days.

Does anyone else have problems getting blood from different fingers. On the min setting with my pen I am good for the second and third finger on the right hand but not the other two nor my left hand. Hardly get any blood at all.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I change mine twice a day. But I test about 10 times a day at the mo

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
About once a week every time I open a new box of strips so every 50 tests for me.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have the accu med mobile with the rotating lancet. There is only 6 in a pod and I have been using a new one every time. Needless to say its costing me a fortune as my gp hasn't supplied me with anything! Does anyone else use this tester? Would it be possible to reuse the lancets?
Chris x

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Your gp should supply you with lancets. Fight for them.

I don't know if your pen is the same as mine. I have the accu-chek expert. The pen you use with the lancet, do you have to turn it at the top to change to the next needle? If so, just don't turn it. Press down to get it primed, without turning it. Does this make sense?

steveamos1234

As everyone else has said, it's a very personal choice.

I've gone as long as a year before changing a lancet. I really don't find it makes any difference at all and I'm not convinced about the infection warnings. 18 years so far and I've probably used a box of lancets and no issues. I'm sure I could be proven wrong tomorrow, but I don't really think too much about it. I also test 8 to 10 times a day.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
If I had to change every time it would put me off testing. Sometimes you need to factor in the hassle factor. I probably change around every month, if it is feeling a bit blunt. I'm really bad with my needles too, not quite that bad but only change every few days not every time. Yes I know this is not great but it would put me off injecting if I had to change every time, it just makes the process even longer more drawn out and more annoying.

suehat

I've been testing for many years and tend to only change lancets when it begins to feel blunt or hurt! So far so good!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When my dsn gave me a new lancet device, she insisted on showing me how to use it..

When it came to changing the lancet she said she generally advises to change it daily..

I tend to change it weekly

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the accuchek fastclix and probably change the drum every month....

Hopeful Alfie

I have had my present tester for about three years and have never changed the lancet. I keep it in its pouch when not in use. it still works well and has never caused a problem. As a retired path lab technician and having done bacteriology, I DO wash my hands well before testing. (Can I hear some Tut-Tuts ? - I don't mind 'cos it works for me!!)

mrawfell

I'm with you Helenababe. The skin is our first line of defence against infection. To deliberately puncture the skin with a needle that has had blood on it and not sterilised seems to be asking for trouble. The cost of the lancets is minor compared to the cost of the strips.

alihilly

Well.most diabetes experts advice that lancets could be re-used within 24 hours of 1st use, and advice to avoid swabing with alcohol when re-use them to avoid destroying the protecting coating of lancets

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only change mine when I feel they have gone blunt which could be months and months!!

Zoe666

Type of diabetes
HCP
This is interesting for me I'm newly diagnosed 3 weeks now and use the one touch I change mine once a day as was finding any longer was hurting I was told to change after every test but I know a few who don't I guess its up to you x

Lancets are blunted after a single use. the more you use the blunter it becomes and therefore hurts more

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! I use an Accucheck FastClix, a barrel of 6 needles. I was told to use a new needle with each test, so approx 4 a day, therefore a new 'barrel' every day and a half.

I thought that a bit extravagant, and have been using one needle a day, a barrel every 6 days and thought I was being very clever. It seems not.

I am of an age that likes to be frugal, so I shall extend my testing regime and see how I get on. Although looking at the costs with a quick search, they don't look that expensive. Still 'every little helps' as someone said:).

edit: Just did a search for the cartridges for the Accucheck Mobile (meter), and I'm surprised to see that they are as little as 20p per test. Now that's not bad is it?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine once a day, but it looks like I could probably do it less often

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't remember the last time I changed mine :eek:

Generally try to change it once or twice a week, but I suspect that it could be getting on for two weeks with the current one. I know.. I know.. I'm lax!