Best food for hiking

suehat

Hi I'm type 1 ( for 33years) and appear to be reasonably well controlled on a day to day basis and lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle but i am off on a hiking holiday in Austria on Saturday and although I've been before I tend to spend a lot of time going hypo or rebounding with sky high blood sugars. Just wanted some advice on the best course of action , whether to cut insulin (I'm on novo rapid before meals and levermir am & pm) or any advice on the best foods to eat to keep my sugars stable. Will be grateful for any help.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi, I have just been on a childrens activity holiday and have recently moved onto a pump.
before- what I would have done is lower my long acting insulin and my short acting.
the long acting will stop the unexpected low blood sugars from the general exercise and the short acting will stop the post meals.
if you find that you are running high then increase the long acting gradually and if this is just occurring after food then increase YOUR SHORT ACTING GRADUALLY.
apologies for caps

I needed approximately 1/3 less of my basal - o your long acting.

do you carry glucotabs- they are the best and the containers are waterproof- my canoe tipped over and they were fine.
food wise you are looking for low GI stuff- so granary bread or basmati rice. special K cereal at night- worth taking a packet.

although hard- need to get up first few nights to blood test at 4 am unless with someone who can deal with the hypo.

my hospital did research which showed most of us don't eat enough when hypo.

they recommend if 3-4 1/3 bottle lucozade
if 2-3 2/3rds bottle
if below 2 then the whole bottle- or equivalent.
follow with 20g long acting

seems major but prevents the later follow on hypos and does work. will rise but stabilises and prevents later problems and balanced sugars. if hiking then will need more long actin than this.

hope this helps
roni :D

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi, I have just been on a childrens activity holiday and have recently moved onto a pump.
before- what I would have done is lower my long acting insulin and my short acting.
the long acting will stop the unexpected low blood sugars from the general exercise and the short acting will stop the post meals.
if you find that you are running high then increase the long acting gradually and if this is just occurring after food then increase YOUR SHORT ACTING GRADUALLY.
apologies for caps

do you carry glucotabs- they are the best and the containers are waterproof- my canoe tipped over and they were fine.
food wise you are looking for low GI stuff- so granary bread or basmati rice. special K cereal at night- worth taking a packet.

although hard- need to get up first few nights to blood test at 4 am unless with someone who can deal with the hypo.

if 2-3 2/3rds bottle

seems major but prevents the later follow on hypos and does work. will rise but stabilises and prevents later problems and balanced sugars. if hiking then will need more long actin than this.

hope this helps

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
apologies for caps

if 2-3 2/3rds bottle

hope this helps

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
apologies for caps

if 2-3 2/3rds bottle

hope this helps

BobCornelius

Hi Suehat,

Do you carb count? With the additional exercise from your trip, you could look at complex carbs, which are a slower release, such as wholemeal bread or pasta, root veg, pulses and banana's to name but a few!

What do you use to reverse a hypo? Something like Glucotabs are good, at 4g per tablet 3 tabs will reverse a hypo but shouldn't send you sky high!

:)

Bob

unityjon

remembering that when you stop exercise, your body doesn't so take that extra timescale into consideration, about 4hrs worth in my experience (off road mountain biking) so dont be fooled by getting in, testing blood and dealing with that level, plan for it to drop steadily for a while to come and combat that with a decent meal.

Before you set off eat complex carbs (wholemeal bread with baked beans for example) and eat protein rich foods like bacon and let your body start to get to grips with that, say 30mins at least before you set off then just keep topping up your sugar level knowing full well its trying to plummet all the time and let the protein feed your muscles so you have energy to keep going. I keep a packet of jelly beans in my pocket and have a few (2 or 3) at regular intervals, maybe every 30mins or so as a top up, never really timed it, its just when we have rest stops top let others catch up.i fnd that this breaks the time exercising down into small chunks and just deal with each chunk before and after, if you know you'll be stopping for lunch at the end of the next stretch then maybe only have 1 jelly bean, then make lunch count with more protein and carbs to see you though. Above all make sure you have something with you at all times, better to have and not need than not have and need !!