Finally going abroad

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi all,

right, firstly I'm sorry if this have been covered. I've found a few similar posts but I just want to be specific so I know that I'll be ok.

This is going to be my very first time going abroad. Never flown before so I don't really know what to expect. We are going to Tenerife and departing from Manchester airport in 2 weeks.

I've got an insulin pump so I'm going to want to take supplies for this. My actual injection and supplies for that ie. needles etc and also my bm machine, strips and lancets. And the obvious insulin for the pump and spare insulin for my injection.

I've rang the diabetes centre and asked my DSN to ring me asap for advice and that I need a letter (is that right? What do they need to say in the letter?)

I'm petrified they'll make me go through the scanner and it will break my pump. So reassure me guys...will I be ok? Feeling incredibly nervous all of a sudden :shock:

Also, do you guys do your holiday insurance through Diabetes UK? Is there anything specific I need to look for?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A letter from your clinic or gp to say you have type 1 diabetes and need to carry medical supplies would be preferable, I got mine 20 years ago but have never had to produce it at the airports, still it's best to carry one just the same to avoid any delays and such.

I would split your supplies and carry them in you and your husbands hand luggage, obviously you'll need to keep your insulin cool whilst travelling and it's always worth asking the hotel if they hire fridges in the rooms (do this now before flying) to store your insulin, not sure about the insurance as I normally just take it out with the company I book with, just remember to take plenty of glucose and snacks with you just in case of delays, often the heat and extra activity can make you prone to more hypo's so do keep this in mind.

Have a nice time! :)

unityjon

i've only had to produce my doctors note once in 20 odd years and i travel for work quite a lot ! i just leave it tucked in my passport, just in case, i don't make a fuss about carrying needles etc and they don't seem to mind, when your hand luggage is scanned make sure YOUR hand luggage contains all your supplies, if you split it like the previous post suggests then that other person could find themselves in a very hard to explain position, did you pack your luggage yourself ? someone else put needles in your bag ? can you prove the other person is who you say they are ? its not worth it, just keep it all together with you and then split it up when you're airside if you feel the need ?

things dont freeze in the hold, the whole plane is pressurized ! but i do keep my insulin and a handful of syringe / needles and my meter in my hand luggage, the rest of my gear i chuck in my bag and forget about, if it were to go missing i can always go to a pharmacy to get syringes etc, its no problem.

Enjoy your holiday, the flight is only 4:30 so dont worry about it, dont have 'special food' just eat normally if any is available on the plane, if its easyjet or the like buy your meal before you board, you'll get a better selection at a better price.

Beware of the heat and the fact you'll probably be walking more than normal, insulin is less effective when warm, store your insulin in a cool place, out of direct sunlight, doesnt really need to be in a fridge though for a week or so you'll be fine !

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
thanks guys,

will I be ok carrying lucozade and glucose tablets on the plane?

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Faith* said:
thanks guys,

will I be ok carrying lucozade and glucose tablets on the plane?
You'll probably have to pick up your lucozade AFTER you've been through all the security checks, as they won't allow you to take more than 100ml of any liquid with you (my mum even had her liquid lip gloss confiscated one year) and they are VERY strict with this. Depending on the airline, you may be able to buy drinks and food on the plane. I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to carry glucose tablets with you though. Many people do carry sweets in their hand luggage anyway as they say sucking boiled sweets during take off can stop your ears popping :thumbup:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever you do or take, make sure that you have a great great time, you deserve it.
Izzzi :)

iHs

Hi,

For get me out of the poo fairly fast, do take a couple of tubes of Glucogel (Hypostop) just in case the worst happens (pay attention to the bucal lining) on the leaflet inside. Works a treat although Ive not had it used on me for many years now thank goodness. Also, be aware that baking hot weather can make your bg levels drop so do make sure that you take that into consideration.

Ive not been abroad with my pump so cant tell you anything but am inclined to leave pump at home and go back to insulin pens as it would be just my luck for the pump to play up and I wouldn't want the holiday ruined but on saying that loads of pumpers do go abroad with their pumps and most of them have a good time, so enjoy it whatever you decide.........

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
iHs said:
Hi,

For get me out of the poo fairly fast, do take a couple of tubes of Glucogel (Hypostop) just in case the worst happens (pay attention to the bucal lining) on the leaflet inside. Works a treat although Ive not had it used on me for many years now thank goodness. Also, be aware that baking hot weather can make your bg levels drop so do make sure that you take that into consideration.

Ive not been abroad with my pump so cant tell you anything but am inclined to leave pump at home and go back to insulin pens as it would be just my luck for the pump to play up and I wouldn't want the holiday ruined but on saying that loads of pumpers do go abroad with their pumps and most of them have a good time, so enjoy it whatever you decide.........
You raise a good point! DEFINITELY take backup supplies of insulin and pens. You never know :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Don't go through the full body scanner (like the ones in Manchesterr Airport) as these could damage your pump. The normal X-ray arches are fine. I always carry a letter from Medtrnoic which states where the pump should not pass through and where it should. I have only ever had one sticky situation and that was the first time abroad with a pump :crazy: at Manchester Airport. I was very nervous and the official guy was obnoxious and said I would have to disconnect my pump. I'd been told by other that I shouldn't have to do this (and you don't) but in the interest of world peace I did take it off on that occasion to walk through the body scanners. He should have let me come through the normal X-ray machine and then swabbed the pump. Thought it would help to tell you this as it can happen but when I'd calmed down (with BS of 16 by now!) I realised that taking it off wasn't the end of the world.
I've flown a few times since then from different airports and had no problem. I tell them in advance that I have a pump on and they walk me through the X-ray and then swab the pump whilst attached to me. A few airport workers have said to me recently that they're seeing more and more of them now so they're getting used to them too.
I have got my insurance through the recommended insurer from the Balance magazine - LV I think. I also have my pump insured separately through pumps4you and the spare pump I take with me is covered automatically through them.
Others have talked about the glucose - there are small little of glucojuice for sale and I take these through without issue.
Most of all try and relax and enjoy. Once the first trip is done you'll see there's nothing to worry about it. :thumbup:

Faith*

Dislikes
thanks so much for all the advice and tips guys, really appreciate it. I'm still waiting to hear back from my DSN about a letter but I might just phone my consultants secretary and see if I have more luck with her.

I'm getting excited but also nervous haha

Do you think it would be ok for me to put some gluten free bread and biscuits in my luggage that goes in the cargo hold or will I get in to trouble? It's only cause i'm coeliac so It would be my back up food...?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Faith* said:
Do you think it would be ok for me to put some gluten free bread and biscuits in my luggage that goes in the cargo hold or will I get in to trouble? It's only cause i'm coeliac so It would be my back up food...?

Best check with the airline first Faith just to be safe, try not to stress and just go out there and enjoy yourselves :D