Medic Alert Organisation

DavidMH

Anybody have any experience with the above (UK) organisation? I ordered a bracelet from them back on the 9th of July and have yet to receive it. It took nearly three weeks for them to tell me what was going on the bracelet, after a couple of emails were exchanged we came to an agreement about what was going on there, it seems the laser engraver cannot handle a Spanish e'?

I live in Spain and needed a number engraved on the bracelet that someone could ring and get access to my health records etc. I was assured that this was the case and in fact they offer a Spanish speaking service, perfect I thought. I have sent an email today asking why my bracelet has not arrived and it seems the laser engraving machine had failed, ok I thought that can happen to anyone, then I am informed the number of the LONDON AMBULANCE SERVICE is going to be put on the bracelet, a lot of good that will do for a Spanish paramedic!!

So far I have been less than impressed, any thoughts?

Dave MH

DavidMH

Quick update for all.

Medic Alert contacted me and they have come out first with an excuse the engraving machine was unable to engrave a Spanish é, so I agreed Diabetic in English would be sufficient, then the machine broke down, then as they had gone over there 'lead time' of 28 working days they called on the 'Terms and Conditions which excuses them from anything as minor as not meeting there delivery deadline to mass murder. Then I am told the number they put on the disc is the LONDON AMBUALNCE SERVICE, I made it clear I live in Spain and was led to believe the number was to Medic Alert themselves who have a Spanish translator, but I am now waiting for them to clarify, I can see it now...........

Spanish Paramedic "Hola, soy un paramédico español y tengo que conocer la historia de este paciente inconsciente".

LAS operator Bill "Harry got some foreign guy on the phone, I haven't got a clue what he is saying but there is this funny beep beep beep beep beep beep in the background you know like one of those heart monitor machines"

LAS 'Harry' "Don't know mate, perhaps it is a wrong number?"

LAS Bill "It's OK, I think he has hung up as now as all I can hear is one long beep, you know, like one of those heart monitor machines when attached to a person who's heart has stopped?"

I must be getting old and grumpy or, pretty much every internet company I have recently used for a purchase gives misleading information to make a quick sale/sells Chinese rubbish or has lousy customer service! Of course it could be that when I am told something will arrive in 28 days and yet as of this moment (36 days) has not arrived and is not expected in the next 10 perhaps I am the one being unreasonable?

Adrenalin levels climbing....BG climbing calm down Dave...relax... ...OM...OM...OM....om...om...om.......ah that's better 8>))

I have to laugh..........NOT!

Dave MH

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
lol Well done on your patience.

DavidMH

dawnmc said:
lol Well done on your patience.

Thanks dawnmc, I was not too happy about this particular topic but felt a need to vent off a little. This is a great forum and I thought I would demonstrate I do have a sense of humour and not just looking for a chance to whinge. As an asides, and thinking about that post this morning, it could be construed by some that I was giving LAS some stick and that is not the case. I think the NHS staff do a brilliant job amid cuts to staffing levels etc and would not wish to offend anyone in that organsisation.

It is the inability of Medic Alert to fully grasp my problem and concerns that has fanned the flames. Today I should get a reply fairly quickly, I did CC my solicitors email with my last reply!

Watch this space,

DaveMH

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I can understand that a small company might not have a Spanish speaking person doing the engraving but if you gave them the inscription all they would need is a "Spanish Language Pack" for their computer, these are available FOC for every computer PC or Mac.

Seems a shame that they can not organise a Spanish engraving even if they asked yo to be responsible for the translation, I really cant see why it couldnt be done. The engraving machine is told what to engrave by a computer and computers do what they are told by the operator, its that simple. Isn't it?

keefyboyuk

Hi
I have been with Medic Alert for well over 10 years now and have never had a problem, when they did mispell something I phoned them and they remade my bracelet. From what I understand when you telephone the number its goes direct to a person who speaks your language, maybe this has been taken over under the Govt's amendments to the NHS, but I am surprised if it has. Whenever i have called them I have never (even out of hours) had any problems.
It may be worth sending a letter to the Chief Executive Officer at Medic Alerts Head Office and explain everything that has happened and see if that kicks some butt.
I am very surprised that the laser engraver has a problem with doing the Spanish letter s, surely it can do anything it is told to do, so that has got to be down to the operator not inputing the correct letter.
I do hope you can get some satisfaction, make a complaint to the CEO as this sometimes seems to sort problems out like you are experiencing.
Good luck

DavidMH

Hi and thanks to all who have replied. I have spent many years in IT and did point out that laser engravers take the information from the machine 'code' and not the letter you see on the screen, but by then I had clearly exceeded the person I was communicating with computer skills, I simply got a back a 'we cannot do a Spanish e' reply. I gave in at that point. Anyway, thus far I have been dealt with by people of limited skills or even understanding of my problem.

I wanted a piece of metal that could be worn here in Spain and also in good old blighty that would give an English or Spanish paramedic my clinical details in the event of an emergency....period!

Not rocket science, not asking for 'War and Peace' to be re-written, not asking for World Peace' or the end of famine....just a bit of metal with a simple number. I would even have been happy if they did not have someone who speaks Spanish, there are plenty of Spanish paramedics here that speak English. At first it seemed I was getting that AND access to a Spanish translator, great the whole shooting match, then the bracelet does not turn up, I query why and am given the 'we have a 28 day lead time' story. When the 28 days are exceeded I get the 'sorry engraver machine broke' story, then I get the tough we are well late but it is allowed in our 'Term and Conditions' BS!!

I am about to check my email and see what the latest is, I will get back to you.

EDIT: Just checked my email and Medic Alert have not replied, was there a public holiday in the UK today? There was one in Spain today.....again 8>))

Dave MH

DavidMH

Long post, make a cuppa and get comfortable before reading.

Well the cc of the email to my solicitor appears to have worked and I did get a reply. the email did apologise for the person quoting Terms and Conditions which were broken anyway, they also advised my bracelet was on the way, I decided to sit back and wait.

Well the bracelet finally arrived after nearly 7 (yes SEVEN) weeks! And to be frank I am a tad disappointed. In my previous post I pointed out that the engraving machine used by Medic Alert UK cannot engrave a Spanish 'é' however, now it seems it is incapable of etching a simple phone number! The first obvious problem is the font is a little on the small side but, the last two digits touch each other making 18 look like a B! Add this to the fact that a previous poster pointed out they had a spelling mistake on their emblem shows there are definite quality control issues, how did they let these emblems out of the workshop, just who was proof reading them? The chain attached to the emblem whilst quite light in appearance seems good and strong but, the round links that connect the chain to the emblem are in fact simple pieces of wire with the ends pushed together, the first time this gets caught on a sleeve etc the links will open and it will without doubt be lost in very short order, a sensible solution would have been to solder them, but then you would never lose one, you know where this is going right? Stop it Dave you are being cynical, Medic Alert would probably replace it free of charge, oh oh, have you seen the size of that flying pig? :mrgreen:

Of course there is an upside to wearing the bracelet, it does carry the phone number of the Ambulance service of the UK and also a code which gives the caller your personal details or even the details be offered to the ambulance being sent to your aid. This in itself is a great idea however on the face of it though I think modern technology now outdates the usefulness of this system.

Let me offer an example keeping in mind this could apply to anyone not just a diabetic/heart patient or anyone else for that matter.

I am in the UK and and collapse on the pavement. The first person who comes to my aid will almost certainly have a mobile phone if not, another bystander/helper without a mobile is very unlikely so they will do one of two things. They will either ring 999 something UK dwellers will be familiar with, or the less known 112 service. Or they will see the bracelet/necklace which identifies you as a diabetic and ring the number on there which also goes direct to the ambulance service, or would they? It does not mention who the number contacts, it could be a relative, so with uncertainty they would probably ring 999 anyway. A card in your wallet/handbag is unlikely to be found by Joe public, it could be construed they were robbing from you, they are unlikely to go through your personal belongings.

The difference thus far is the slight delay of deciding whether to ring the number on the bracelet or 999, there is also the delay answering the question 'which service do you require?'

So the ambulance service is on the way, let us assume the bracelet has been discovered and the information has been relayed to the ambulance operator, he or she can relay that to the ambulance/paramedic crew already dispatched to your location however, whilst noting the information they still follow a set procedure. The ambulance operator will also be able to advise the person assisting you if there is anything they can do to help, great so far, there is also a reference number which can allow the service to pick up other information about you, other ailments etc.

At this point the bracelet has helped by virtue of giving the information you are a diabetic, if you did not have the bracelet then the paramedic/s would follow a well rehearsed diagnostic procedure and should have an idea how to help you within a few minutes anyway. The bracelet without doubt will have helped with the procedure and offered a clue to your problem but the paramedics do not assume you have collapsed due to diabetes, the procedure of diagnostics is the same, I however like the idea of being responsible and made the effort, to wear/carry something to help in the event I was not 'with it'.

Now let us look at my personal case, I wanted something that can be worn with the pertinent information however, living in Spain most of the time means in the event of an emergency, I can safely assume I would be dealt with by a Spanish paramedic. From this point you can assume the procedures would be followed as per the UK service. The bracelet does have a number to ring with the international code for the UK and it seems there will be a translator available but this will all take time. So a bracelet or necklace's usefulness is limited until the emergency IS OVER!

Now having your name and address and next of kin is great, it is also true you may have other ailments and cannot get all the information on the 'emblem' you are wearing then all should be well, if this information was not available then, without doubt there would be a delay in a family member being contacted assuming they were needed (I explain later why this might not happen anyway), and fully understandably this has to be paid for, and that is my point.

In this modern day and age is there a more cost effective idea? Many of us now know that if you put ICE1, ICE2 (In Case of Emergency) in front of a contacts name in your phone, this is assumed by the emergency services that you wish the number/contact to be called in an emergency AFTER they have concluded you are not going to be able to do this yourself in the very near future, also if you put AA in front of a contact the name always comes up first in the directory. So is that great idea? Not really, because many of us lock our phones (or it locks automatically) so the only number that is allowed to be dialled is 999/112, so most phone's are as useful as a chocolate fire guard if you are unable to give the PIN number, add to this the statistical fact that less than 25% of the European population knows what ICE means anyway.....did you?

So my decision is this, I am going to have a necklace made and use two 'dog tags', with the following information, keep in mind you can use both sides of each tag and the ability to wear them one at a time or as I will both, then not needing to remember when I am travelling to switch tags and spend time looking for the appropriate one.

ENGLAND Obvious to most right?
Name DOB Used by most authorities to identify you anyway
Diabetic Self explanatory
Call 999 Understood by any cognitive person living in the UK
NHS number Your personal medical record/next of kin on a computer and accessible in a minute

The other tag:

España
Name DOB
Diabético
Llamar 112
Spanish hospital number

So there are limitations to this but, all the necessary information is there to help a 1st responder AND gain access to both of my hospital records wherever I am very quickly in the correct language, it is possible to add a family number on there but the reality is, that if you were seriously hurt and near to death or God forbid dead they would not ring the family anyway, this is always done face to face. It is reasonable to assume your doctor/hospital knows where you live, and of course they have next of kin information, worth noting is your hospital records are linked to your passport if you have one, Big Brother in this case a definite advantage and, if you are out of the UK you will have used a passport, your passport information is available to EVERY country regardless of where you are in the world, it would not be unreasonable to add the passport number if you felt like it? What would you add/alter on my proposed tags?

In a nutshell, a necklace/bracelet/card is in my opinion a very comforting and responsible thing to have about your person however, you have to (quite rightly) contact Medic Alert (or your chosen company) with changes to your medication/condition as and when it happens to make it pertinent and reliable, something your doctor/hospital obviously already has NOW, add to this the yearly subscription costs which whilst understandable are in fact in my opinion, NOT a necessity in this modern world, think about it.

Dave MH

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have followed your posts with interest and thought the theory was great however like you I would want different numbers dependant on where I was. Working in the NHS your NHS number should be unique to you and I have chosen to use this instead of a subscription service I would have to update every time something changed.

I have the band type alert bracelet and it has a small paper like booklet inserted (its stronger and waterproofed). It has my NHS number, ICE details, myriad of illness details and an ICE number for when I am in the USA. In the UK - your NHS number should allow any NHS services to access your full medical history unless you have asked for parts of it to be withheld. My mobile (nexus 4) also allows me to add personal info to show on the lock screen - again I have put ICE contact, and also major issues eg type 2 diabetes, asthma and sleep apnoea as all could impact on care should I be unfortunate to be unconscious when found.

The band is practical and can be updated easily but sometimes I think the info in the mobile is the one people including emergency services will find first and as my medical record is updated whenever I see my GP I believe that access to it via my NHS number is the most effective way to ensure I get appropriate treatment in an emergency.

Would be interested to see how you feel about medic alert when the stress they've caused so far has receded.

Cath

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App