Male or Female?

Blondie153

Was talking to someone the other day and they said it was good that my type 1 child was a girl! I had no answer for that. Personally I was devastated for her as much as i would have been for her sibling. This got me thinking do male diabetics think it is harder for women ie pregnancy etc or do women think it is harder for men. Or is it just all about the condition and getting through each day?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never thought about it tbh but this did get me thinking. Probably would have to say easier for men simply because of things like pregnancy and monthly hormones changing. Either way both m or f need to have a good regime in place for good control and probably will both face different challenges along the way.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's odd. I wouldn't say anyone has it harder, particularly a child!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blondie153 said:
That's what I thought. I just saw a condition and how do we deal with it gender didn't come into it for me.

Although..... I believe (but could be wrong) that there is a marginally higher chance of a male T1 having a T1 child than if the woman is T1. So maybe that's what they meant!

But then the woman had all the drama with carrying a child while having T1. So it's lose lose really!

michelereid2002

Well when I was diagnosed in2008 my mum got told if a diabetic was going to appear it would be one of my brothers gee was that soo soo wrong I got it and find it hard yeh hormones pregnacy and yes periods do all affect blood sugars I didn't believe them until I did a wee test before and during your blood sugars spikes higher than normal so sex does matter

H

Hooked

I never thought on gender before regarding diabetes.
Now that I am thinking on it, I have to say it's probably more difficult for females. Monthly hormones effect sugar levels and I personally have found the higher my sugar levels the more painful the period. Not to even mention the extremely tight control needed for pregnancy and the worry of the effects it has on baby.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I believe that my condition is the worst in the world and no-one feels as bad as me and you all have to be sympathetic.

Being a woman is a lifestyle choice and all they have to do is to change their ways and they will be fine.

If you've never heard of tongue in cheek before I imagine you will feel the need to reply.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
hale710 said:
Blondie153 said:
That's what I thought. I just saw a condition and how do we deal with it gender didn't come into it for me.

Although..... I believe (but could be wrong) that there is a marginally higher chance of a male T1 having a T1 child than if the woman is T1. So maybe that's what they meant!

I really didn't know that and that worries me,I constantly get paranoid if one of my children starts drinking water more and peeing more anyway,some of it is guilt too as they all inherited ASD's off me and if I gave them T1 as well I'd be heartbroken

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Squire Fulwood said:
Personally I believe that my condition is the worst in the world and no-one feels as bad as me and you all have to be sympathetic.

Being a woman is a lifestyle choice and all they have to do is to change their ways and they will be fine.

If you've never heard of tongue in cheek before I imagine you will feel the need to reply.

Thank you for that, it did make me chuckle :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

RRB :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
paul-1976 said:
hale710 said:
Blondie153 said:

I really didn't know that and that worries me,I constantly get paranoid if one of my children starts drinking water more and peeing more anyway,some of it is guilt too as they all inherited ASD's off me and if I gave them T1 as well I'd be heartbroken

Definitely do not take my word for this! I could be so wrong! I'm just sure I read that somewhere

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Squire Fulwood said:

I apologise squire. I have seen the error in my ways. I will stop being a woman immediately.

In future I will be more dog

(I hope everyone has seen that advert otherwise I'm going to sound crazy)

Blondie153

Dear Paul there is absolutely no one in my family even in the distant cousins (of which there are many) who has any form of diabetes. It came to my child and I beat myself up over the fact that we had moved house and if we had stayed in the smog of the city would she not have it??? But you know what there is nothing we can do now. They are who they are and we love them for it.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
hale710 said:
Squire Fulwood said:

I apologise squire. I have seen the error in my ways. I will stop being a woman immediately.

In future I will be more dog

(I hope everyone has seen that advert otherwise I'm going to sound crazy)

Ha ha! :D I know the one you mean! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Blondie153 said:
Was talking to someone the other day and they said it was good that my type 1 child was a girl! I had no answer for that. Personally I was devastated for her as much as i would have been for her sibling. This got me thinking do male diabetics think it is harder for women ie pregnancy etc or do women think it is harder for men. Or is it just all about the condition and getting through each day?

Unsure why that person would say that to you Blondie :think:

Diabetes isn't welcome at any age but it must be extremely difficult for a child to comprehend and come to terms with, I honestly believe women do have it much harder than men due to hormones and what they endure during pregnancy.

Blondie153

It is amazing the stupid things people say to you as you have seen on other forums. The one that shocked me the most was when someone said to me that it was a shame that one of my twins was going to be 'barren' as that is what happens with twins!!!!!!! They were a few months old then and she was a nurse!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Blondie153 said:
It is amazing the stupid things people say to you as you have seen on other forums. The one that shocked me the most was when someone said to me that it was a shame that one of my twins was going to be 'barren' as that is what happens with twins!!!!!!! They were a few months old then and she was a nurse!

That's AWFUL!! :shock: The things people come out with sometimes just never ceases to amaze me! :thumbdown:

elaine77

As with everything else, men get it easier. They always do! Good job women are 10 times stronger and more resilient than men.....

#secretfeminist haha

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.