Can I really lose weight eating this way

NICNAK68

Good afternoon all,
I am very tempted by trying the low-carb way of eating, however it goes against everything I know to do with dieting.
Can you really lose weight by eating meat, cheese, cream, bacon, eggs etc.
Thank you for any replys

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Where did you learn about dieting? Whilst any food that contains calories can cause weight gain, carbs are often overlooked as a major source of weight gain. Diabetics need to control blood sugar which is the result of carbs being converted to glucose so low-carb for many of us is essential to keep blood sugar down. So, low-carbing is the start point for blood sugar control and many find the proteins, veg, fats etc which we do eat do not cause much if any weight effect but, and it's a big but, portion size control is also very important as most of us eat too much! So, in summary top priority goes to blood sugar control. Weight may also reduce in the process but portion size is important. Remember 'fat doesn't make you fat'. It may not always be true but the obesity epidemic may have something to do with the fact that many dieticians have got it wrong?

SpaceChick

I've lost nearly half a stone since my diagnosis a month ago, but am eating more calories!!

However, I am keeping my carbs low and am eating more cheese and nuts than I ever did before.

Who'd have thought it hey! :p

NICNAK68

Daibell said:
Hi. Where did you learn about dieting? Whilst any food that contains calories can cause weight gain, carbs are often overlooked as a major source of weight gain. Diabetics need to control blood sugar which is the result of carbs being converted to glucose so low-carb for many of us is essential to keep blood sugar down. So, low-carbing is the start point for blood sugar control and many find the proteins, veg, fats etc which we do eat do not cause much if any weight effect but, and it's a big but, portion size control is also very important as most of us eat too much! So, in summary top priority goes to blood sugar control. Weight may also reduce in the process but portion size is important. Remember 'fat doesn't make you fat'. It may not always be true but the obesity epidemic may have something to do with the fact that many dieticians have got it wrong?

Ha dieting, I have been on one diet or another all my adult life, WW SW, cabage soup, slim fast, now at 44 I am 7 stone overweight. I haven't ever really learnt about dieting :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Years ago to lose weight people were told to not to eat bread and potatoes. It seems very old fashioned advice for modern weight loss, until you think about carbs......
What if they were all right after all?

A

Anonymous

carraway said:
Years ago to lose weight people were told to not to eat bread and potatoes. It seems very old fashioned advice for modern weight loss, until you think about carbs......
What if they were all right after all?

They worked fine for me. I am now 'diabetes resolved' although it could come back. Can you suggest what I should do to avoid this risk. My current carb intake is 200g carbs per day. I've also got plenty of leeway to increase my fat intake although I am worried about reversing my weight loss and putting it all on again. :lol:

NICNAK68

I wonder what the ideal carb level for weight loss and good blood sugar control is, anyne have any ideas ? xx

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep
Went lo carb to control the diabetes without aiming for weight loss
Yesterdays test 6.7 :)
Weight loss since lo carb 3stone
44w to 32w
But the weight loss does tend to flatten off 13stone 10lbs and does tend to flatten off 13stone 10lbs and murder to move from there
Bad bit cholesterol up 5.1 my normal between 3-4.5 so going to lower the fat a bit

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The best carb level will vary from person to person. Some people go for less than 150 gm/day and others less than 50gm/day! Just reduce your carbs to below 200 and if your sugar doesn't come into the right range then reduce the carbs further. Note that diabetics should have the right diet and not go for 'diets' as some are good and some are ridiculous. You don't need to go for any branded diet just eat the most suitable foods for diabetics and in the right quantity.

A

Anonymous

Daibell said:
The best carb level will vary from person to person. Some people go for less than 150 gm/day and others less than 50gm/day! Just reduce your carbs to below 200 and if your sugar doesn't come into the right range then reduce the carbs further. Note that diabetics should have the right diet and not go for 'diets' as some are good and some are ridiculous. You don't need to go for any branded diet just eat the most suitable foods for diabetics and in the right quantity.

Thanks ... my 200g or thereabouts sounds about right for me then. I don't want to substitute fat for carbs with a cholesterol of 4.1 and ratio 2.9:1. My LDL could do with coming down a bit though.

A

Anonymous

michael D said:
Yep
Went lo carb to control the diabetes without aiming for weight loss
Yesterdays test 6.7 :)
Weight loss since lo carb 3stone
44w to 32w
But the weight loss does tend to flatten off 13stone 10lbs and does tend to flatten off 13stone 10lbs and murder to move from there
Bad bit cholesterol up 5.1 my normal between 3-4.5 so going to lower the fat a bit

Lowering the fat may help. I got stuck on 14st for quite a while, but, since lowering fat with no other changes, I/ve dropped a fruther 1/2 stone. I've got 1/2 stone till my size 32 waist (target) so I'll know when to stop 'playing' with the fat. Bgs down from 6.4 to 5.6 since my last HbA1C so that will be around 35 or so now (according to my previous estimate which was within 0.2).