zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hey folks
I have been on a lowish carb diet now for 3 weeks (60g ish carbs per day) and in that time I have lost just over 10lbs and dropped an inch from my waist. I have two target weights to strive towards, the first is to lose 28lbs which will take me from obese into the overweight category of BMI. The second target is to lose 50lbs which would put me in the middle of the healthy weight category of BMI. I am eating to my meter these days and my average glucose count for the past month is (according to On Track) 6.5

The problem is, sometimes am a little impatient and feel that i am taking too long to lose weight, so I just thought I would post here and seek your advice.

Mark

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
Hi mark that's a good weight loss in a short time just keep doing what your doing it all takes time

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

danyparc

I have been diagnosed for 4 months and so far lost 21Kg. Weight loss was rapid at first as I followed a 1600cal/day, 120g carb, low GI diet.

Over the last 6 weeks I have found my target calorie intake to maintain a 1kg/week weight loss has dropped to 1460cal/day on Myfitnesspal.

This is just too low to maintain, so I'm now aiming at 3kg/month target.

I started at 113.8kg, now at 92.8. 25BMI for me is around 87kg, so like you I'm aiming to get a few kilos under.

I have an appointment with a dietitian next week to discuss my nutrition as I transition from weight loss to weight maintenance.

Hope this helps you. Your approach is similar to mine, and I think patience and a long term view will get you there.

Type 2 diagnosed March 2013, diet controlled

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
From personal experience the slower the better.....although obviously not too slow!!!

I lost two and half stone but it took me 2 years (which to some may seem a long time) but I've kept the weight off which I'd never achieved before...

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks for the reply folks, i am feeling better right now but I guess it was my impatience showing through. I am happy about the weight loss and with some luck I will have lost enough weight to lower my Hba1c come October and wont need medication.

Mark

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am feeling pretty low this morning. I have put on 4lbs this week despite following low carb and not touching rice, pasta, cakes, biscuits, sweets etc. I have stuck to 2 small slices of Danish bread a day and I have been eating mainly salads with chicken and fish and had fish cakes the other day with salad and mainly boiled eggs or eggs and bacon for breakfast! Where am I going wrong???

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are u eating enough? Doesn't sound much from what you have written. If u don't eat enough you will frighten your body into storing mode and will be hard to lose weight. You have to eat enough calories for your body to run efficiently, without overeating to gain weight that way. Recomended is 500 cals less than you need. This wil allow your body to burn fat without storing. Excercise wil also help.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

ChrisOT61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You may be right. I haven't been counting calories but I am certainly eating a lot less than I did before diagnosis and metformin! The other problem is that even a low carb meal with my metformin appears to give me tummy cramps and diarrhoea. I am going to go and see my gp and ask for the slow release metformin as I am finding it very difficult to cope with at the moment.
I just don't know what to eat as I am worried about eating too many carbs and making myself ill. I admit that sometimes I actually eat nothing! I know this is all wrong but I am so sick of salad and chicken and feeling sick and running to the toilet!

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Over 10 lbs in 3 weeks is pretty good. The important thing is for it to be sustainable. As long as you feel good while doing it then it's fine and the most important thing is the bg control.
When I was first diagnosed I panicked a bit and ate little and exercised a lot. I think my weight went down faster than yours but not by a lot and it wasn't something I could continue for more than a few weeks so I think your rate is better.
Hopefully it doesn't feel like a chore and you feel more healthy. If so then concentrate on that and carry on with what you are doing.
Careful about buying clothes - you can end up with an interim stock and wonder whether to throw them out.

Well done.