Hi, new here!

Hiya, I just found this forum and was hoping for some advice.

I don't have any family experience of diabetes so can't ask anyone what they think either!

I was looking up symptoms of diabetes anyway because I have a child coming into my class next year who has type 1 diabetes and upon reading some of the symptoms (probably the worst thing to do really!) I'm worried for my own health!

I have suffered with tiredness, excessive urination, genital itching - but not thrush cos I've had that once or twice and this is different (sorry if TMI)
With the weeing - for example, if I have even a glass of water in the morning I'll be on the loo every 15 mins or even less - weeing more than I'd drunk! This is even worse when I drink tea. This morning I counted 7 times for one cup of tea over the period of about 90 mins.
I also get very light headed and dizzy quite often and have noticed my eye sight has become worse.
All these things I've blamed on other things over the years - tiredness - 3 kids, excessive weeing - maybe pelvic floor muscles, eyesight - work on a pc all day etc....but looking at the whole picture I am wondering if I could be diabetic?

What do you think?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Getting tested is easy just ask your doctor only takes2 mins but the a couple of days for results. If you have a friend with diabetes of perhaps th school nurse may have a blood glucose monitor. Then ask them if they would test you . If over I think 7 then there could be a problem I am very new to this myself but I amd sure someone will come along and be able to give better advice on the bg levels and suspected problem.
Good luck

Thanks, I've ordered one from amazon so hopefully it'll come soonish so I can just get a general idea and then if there is something unusual I'll see a doctor.

I know it is a possibility because I do unfortunately like sugar - probably way too much :\

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I do like some sweet things but I'm not obsessed with them and can quite easerly say no and there are also sugar free aalternatives . Monitors can also easily be bought fom the chemest

debz48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
I hate cruelty to animals.
Hi sparky-blonde, the best plan of action I could advise you is to either your GP or the Diabetes nurse at the surgery. They will carry out a couple of days fasting blood glucose tests, as well as take blood to send to the pathology lab, just to check your Hb1ca. This is how your blood glucose has been over the passed three months.
Did you also know that if you are diabetic you can be tax exempt when you purchase new blood monitors? Hope this helps. From a diabetic of 44 years XX