zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hey folks
I was talking to a friend today who was recently diagnosed with type 2 and is on meteformn twice a day. She said that she heard that she could suffer from reactive hypoglycemia. I havent heard of it, can someine please enlighten me?

Mark

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Geocacher

It's unlikely that metformin would cause a hypo, nor is it a known cause of reactive hypoglycaemia -- it's a treatment for it.

I've had reactive hypoglycaemia since my early 20's and metformin was the treatment I was given. At that point I'd had reactive hypoglycaemia for many years and trying to control it with small frequent meals was no longer effective. I went from having three or more hypos a day to one or two a month. In my family reactive hypoglycaemia tends to precede type 2 diabetes. And just as my Father was, I was diagnosed with T2 in my mid 40's. And I still have reactive hypoglycaemia, the difference now is that rather than going low from within a normal range my blood sugar goes above normal before falling too low.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks for your help guys, I didn't know where my friend was getting the advice from, so I passed this forum's address on as well as your link Diddly. Hopefully she will join in here and find some sound and helpful advice from people who have experienced these things.

Mark