Weight loss & type 2 Diabetes

ARG Cape

Dislikes
Fast Food
HI everyone ... I hope you are all well ... its freezing and storming in Cape Town but I am so so so happy I lost weight aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I was 123kg and am now 120.5kg aaaaaa and that all in about 3 weeks I have been eating my 6 small meals a day which is so so so so hard cause I usually only have 2 meals a day .... I feel like I am eating all the time but I am getting there ... My sugar levels seem to be nice and consistant but they still could be better especially my morning test ... its between 6.2 ad 6.4 mmol/L I am wanting to get it down to under 6 mmol/L ...

Is anyone else on a mission to loose weigh??

How has your weight loss impacted your sugar levels (type 2 diabetes)?

Cricket Lover

Hi ARG,

I'm doing the Newcastle diet, the eight weeks will be over Tuesday, so far I have lost 29lb, down from 12st 9 to 10st 8, my bg prior to starting the diet were regularly over 8 in the morning & went occasions during the day to 13, but normally in the range 6.6 to 9, after 2 weeks on the diet I was getting readings under 5, my readings now are allways under 5 in the morning & the highest reading I have had in the last few weeks is 5.8 my 7 day average is 4.5, 14 day 4.6 30day 4.8 & 90 day 5.6.

I am really pleased with the results & have increased my exercise a lot as well swimming a mile twice a week & doing an hour in the gym 2 or 3 times a week, feeling better than I have for a couple of years :D

Good luck with your continued weight loss

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Cricket Lover said:
Hi ARG,

I'm doing the Newcastle diet, the eight weeks will be over Tuesday, so far I have lost 29lb, down from 12st 9 to 10st 8, my bg prior to starting the diet were regularly over 8 in the morning & went occasions during the day to 13, but normally in the range 6. to 9, after 2 weeks on the diet I was getting readings under 5, my readings now are allways under 5 in the morning & the highest reading I have had in the last few weeks is 5.8 my 7 day average is 4.5, 14 day 4.6 30day 4.8 & 90 day 5.6.

I am really pleased with the results & have increased my exercise a lot as well swimming a mile twice a week & doing an hour in the gym 2 or 3 times a week, feeling better than I have for a couple of years :D

Good luck with your continued weight loss

First of all well done for loosing the weight 5 years ago I lost 8 stone however I've put most back on last year when started to feel unwell at least I now know what it was) and although I am sure weight has a profound effect on bg levels surely the proof will be when the exterme diet has ended and the weight is being maintained by a healthyer diet. I to am dieting In an extreme way (or for me atleast lol) just to get bg down for now but I realise for the sake of both physical and mental health ( and beleive me dieting can have a detrimental effect on mental health) I would not be able to keep up what I am doing at the mo but am just giving myself an initial boost and getting into the mind set. I have also started swimming again I used to swim 40 lenths 3/5 times per week even though I dont realy like doing it. but because of a bad accidend 10 years ago I had my knees reconstructed and have problems with the sleeves the tendons/liegements run in in my arms and my right shoulder is knackard so swimming is about the only thing I can do. Cant run because of knees cant weightlift coz of tendons and sometimes swimming agrivates my shoulder and smoetines if frees it off. But I have to do somthing low impact. I work as a security guard so there is a lot of walking and patrolling. Hopefully the weight should fall off ?????. Ok not sure I beleive that one either but fingers crossed

nok1888

Re: Weight loss & type 2 Diabetes

I lost 25lbs then they put me on insulin and it all (and then some) went back on, gutted

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Hazehkm

I've lost 36 lbs in 7 weeks. However I don't consider what I'm doing a "diet" or an extreme crash diet that I will come off. What I've done is make considerable lifestyle changes but changes that I can sustain long term and that I'm enjoying. So, the bread, pasta, rice and potatoes are gone. And I like it that way. They simply made me sluggish and crave more of the same. Instead, I eat lean chicken, fish, vegetables and fruit - but what I'm doing is finding lots of interesting and exciting ways to cook them and create different options so it's not boring. My food is tasty, low calorie, low carb, low fat, yet satisfies me and I enjoy it. I actually get excited about cooking things from scratch and creating delicious dishes. Do it - it really makes the difference and it's EXCITING to know you can sustain it - I'm excited about the months and years ahead knowing I'm living a healthy life. I've also introduced more exercise; in addition to going for walks, I started swimming which has got my fitness level up and is now allowing me to enjoy other exercises. I enjoy jumping on my cross trainer for an hour at a time, I get a good workout but I'm no longer gasping and my legs no longer feel like lead. So it's enjoyable - and sustainable.

The result - well, there's getting rid of excess weight, inches dropping by the week, and now, my blood glucose levels have dropped too and my numbers are looking really good. I'm very very excited for the weeks and months ahead.

Well done on your weight loss! Keep going! Use your condition as motivation - and also as a "no excuses" factor. For me, eating unhealthy stuff just isn't an option now. Once I am down to my goal weight, I will ensure I MAINTAIN it - that means I cannot just go back to eating what I did before. I will allow myself the OCCASIONAL dessert or whatever - and I mean OCCASIONAL - xmas or a celebratory meal or whatever - but that's it and I have a feeling then I won't even particularly want it. I don't actually want the sugar and carbs and heavy creamy fattening stuff in my system. It's all like a drug - it just makes you crave more - it's like smoking, or another drug - you don't quit and then have an occasional "fix" - you quit and that's it. I've worked too hard to get the rubbish out my system and I feel way better for it. I would rather fill up on delicious, healthy, nutritious food. So go for it - don't think of it as "losing" weight - you're not "losing" it because if you lose it you can find it again! You're getting rid of it! For good!

Keep going! :D

nicola3460

Inspiring reading! I've just hit a brick wall with my type 2 due to an immune system problem but my weight had gone up last year and I wonder if I'd have been hit so hard if I'd kept control of it. I'd managed to stop the increase in January and maintain, occasionally losing 1lb a week, but now I'm remotivated and have lost a stone in the last month (partly due to the illness mind). However, I'm so pleased to be back on healthy foods rather than comfort foods. It's a deadly trap, listening to your brain on what it wants to eat, whereas if you listen to your body and what it REALLY wants and you think about something fresh to eat, that's how I convince myself to go towards the better choice.

I'd forgotten some things, such as wholemeal bread not being as good as I thought and joining this forum last night has cleared up some questions, unfortunately a bit late as had ordered an internet shop with wholemeal bread. Funnily enough, when it arrived this morning there was only one substitution - soda bread for wholemeal!!

Nicola :D

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Re: Weight loss & type 2 Diabetes

Hazehkm said:
I've lost 36 lbs in 7 weeks. However I don't consider what I'm doing a "diet" or an extreme crash diet that I will come off. What I've done is make considerable lifestyle changes but changes that I can sustain long term and that I'm enjoying. So, the bread, pasta, rice and potatoes are gone. And I like it that way. They simply made me sluggish and crave more of the same. Instead, I eat lean chicken, fish, vegetables and fruit - but what I'm doing is finding lots of interesting and exciting ways to cook them and create different options so it's not boring. My food is tasty, low calorie, low carb, low fat, yet satisfies me and I enjoy it. I actually get excited about cooking things from scratch and creating delicious dishes. Do it - it really makes the difference and it's EXCITING to know you can sustain it - I'm excited about the months and years ahead knowing I'm living a healthy life. I've also introduced more exercise; in addition to going for walks, I started swimming which has got my fitness level up and is now allowing me to enjoy other exercises. I enjoy jumping on my cross trainer for an hour at a time, I get a good workout but I'm no longer gasping and my legs no longer feel like lead. So it's enjoyable - and sustainable.

The result - well, there's getting rid of excess weight, inches dropping by the week, and now, my blood glucose levels have dropped too and my numbers are looking really good. I'm very very excited for the weeks and months ahead.

Well done on your weight loss! Keep going! Use your condition as motivation - and also as a "no excuses" factor. For me, eating unhealthy stuff just isn't an option now. Once I am down to my goal weight, I will ensure I MAINTAIN it - that means I cannot just go back to eating what I did before. I will allow myself the OCCASIONAL dessert or whatever - and I mean OCCASIONAL - xmas or a celebratory meal or whatever - but that's it and I have a feeling then I won't even particularly want it. I don't actually want the sugar and carbs and heavy creamy fattening stuff in my system. It's all like a drug - it just makes you crave more - it's like smoking, or another drug - you don't quit and then have an occasional "fix" - you quit and that's it. I've worked too hard to get the rubbish out my system and I feel way better for it. I would rather fill up on delicious, healthy, nutritious food. So go for it - don't think of it as "losing" weight - you're not "losing" it because if you lose it you can find it again! You're getting rid of it! For good!

Keep going! :D
Well said ! Great advice there !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

liltrux

I bought a juicer machine and have lost 25 lbs in 2 months I have a veggie juice for breakfast and a fruit (watch the sugar in some fruits ) for lunch and a normal evening meal . my sugars have become much more stable throughout the day and fastng of 5.1-6,1 seem to be the norm nowadays I used to be as high as 10 in the mornings I don't get hungry and I don't get tired and its fun experimenting with different juices. My GP was amazed

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Since I started about 5 weeks ago, I have gone from 186lbs to 173lbs. All I did was eat to my meter, making sure I had my Blood glucose levels within normal limits (well as much as I could) with lots of low carb foods. Cut out potato, white bread, sugar and the like and eat smaller portions. I haven't went crazy low carb yet (no offense meant) but halved the number of carbs I ate. I eat 3 small meals per day now that have to fit on a small plate instead of snacking all day then eating large meal before bed.

The first week of this made me feel fairly rotten but now that my body is used to the sugar withdrawl I am fine and happy the way I am doing things now. The weight is dropping albeit slowly, but slow is fine to me as long as it keeps dropping.

Two apps that I use regularly which help me a great deal are, 'On Track' and 'My Fitness pal'. My month blood glucose average according to On Track is 6.4so far.

Good luck with your diet keep up the good work :)

Mark