Withdrawal of BD Micro-Fine pen needles

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I've noticed that no-one seems to be using 6mm needles which I've used since being diagnosed 3 yrs ago. I find these very comfortable to use.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
benjygirl said:
I've noticed that no-one seems to be using 6mm needles which I've used since being diagnosed 3 yrs ago. I find these very comfortable to use.

I tried these 6mm initially till I saw the 5mm ones , prefer the 5mm because it is and looks smaller a needle :thumbup:
Have a box of 4mm but prefer using the 5mm out of familiar habit .

Anna .

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read my last early AUG prescription copy and it now says BD Micro Fine Ultra. So that's why my last prescription was initially rejected and then accepted presumably as the product was no longer listed and my DN had to change it on the system.

coco4

O MrsDMiles I know exactly what you mean about that panic feeling. My pharmacist was alarmist and not reassuring when I was told my prescription request had not been processed because of this cost cutting exercise and no needles were going to be available until I had jumped through hoops. Don't they realise how stressful life is for diabetics and parents of little ones who are diabetic. Hope things get sorted for you, hugs and kisses Carole

MrsDMiles

I'm going to get my husband to ring in the morning.. I said he is only 3 I'm not using bigger needles than I need too. Apparently you can get a different brand too ultra comfort. X

anniepr

Hi I have use BD Micro-Fine 8mm needles for a few years, recently I was given a box of a different brand only 4mm by a friend that didn't need them. I much prefer the 8mm. They were more comfortable and flow quicker. This is just my personal opinion, and I am sure some users find the shorter needles suit them better. :D

karen9975

iv been using BD microfine needles since i was diagnosed in 1997,they tried to get me to go on to cheaper ones novo something or other but i refused as id heard they make you bruise

carocharlton

I have been using 8mm needles since I started injecting Victoza in 2011. Never tried the 4mm needles but certainly had no problem using the 8mm ones. Initially I was prescribed BD needles, then my GP changed to prescribing Comfort Point, I guess because they are cheaper. They are much the same in my experience :)

suzyqet

we had this problem when we collected our sons prescription on Friday. The 4mm needles have been withdrawn we had been told so we were given 6mm I think it was. When questioned, the receptionist at the surgery search through all the needles and low and behold, found the 4mm 32gauge needles but under a different name. So, if you are given the wrong size needles due to them being discontinued, stand your ground as they do exist but under a different name.

Mel24

benjygirl said:

I have used 6mm needles for the last four years were on the 8mm ones but was causing a lot of bruising so my doctor advised to change to 6mm. Best thing I did I get less bruising now.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
suzyqet said:
, the receptionist at the surgery search through all the needles and low and behold, found the 4mm 32gauge needles but under a different name.

Just encountered this problem with the Prescription Clerk regarding the 4mm BD needles not being available.

What is the brand name of the 4mm now being prescribed as a replacement please?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

Thank you for this thread. I've had the same problem yesterday. Picked up my prescription and the BD 4mm needles have been swapped for BD 5mm needles - no explanation, not even the courtesy to put a note on saying what they'd done, let alone why they'd done it. Are they allowed to just change your prescription without even informing you???

Anyway, I refused the 5mm needles. My repeat still says 4mm 32 guage and that's what I want. I'm very slim and used to bruise terribly with the 5mm needles. I still bruise with the 4mm but nowhere near as much. The pharmasist said they're not allowed to give me the 4mm as the prescription says 5mm - basically, they just expected me to say OK and get on with it. I asked would they give me the wrong insulin if the prescription came in wrong. She agreed they wouldn't and said she would contact the doctor today to get the right needles put on a new prescription - so we'll see later!

What do people think, should I make a complaint to the surgery about changing my prescription without consulting or informing me or is this just normal practice?

Smidge

fractureman

I've put in a request for my 4mm needles will see what comes up when I go to chemist to pick up. I used to be on the 8mm needles but the hospital trust moved everyone onto 4mm needles a few years back

Blue Cat

I had the same problem and GP office staff substituted lancets instead as the name looked similar. Was told by pharmacist at the practice that's what's on your repeat prescriptions on the system. Had a bit of a meltdown as have frequent problems through office staff at this (otherwise lovely) practice. I spoke to the doctor on the phone an hour later and apparently the needles had been discontinued. He prescribed something similar and when I collected them they were the same needles.
I have since had a repeat prescription of my usual needles again so don't understand what is going on.
It is frightening as, like you, how are you supposed to inject your insulin?
It's also a great time waster to have go back and forth arguing the case with pharmacy and surgery, who should be able to sort out such matters without causing patients such distress. I was down to my last needle.

IWBDF!

Busylizzie said:
Hi I picked up BD Micro-Fine Pen Needles 4mm 32g this morning. I think 'Hypodermic Insulin needles 4mm/32 guage' is going to appear on my repeat prescription list. Didn't have time to question GP this morning as she was already running over an hour late.

I also wanted to ask if Accucheck Mobile cassettes and lancets could be added to my repeats as well as my Contour USB test strips and lancets. I have just received a free Mobile test meter and wanted to leave my original meter in the house and use this new one when out and about. It will have to wait to my next appointment also.

I will wait until next month and see what I get regards needles.

Hi Busylizzie :wave:

Where did u get the Accucheck mobile meter free? From ur DSN or elsewhere?

It shouldn't be a problem getting both on prescription, but then again, my surgery updates my repeat prescription list every 3 months and they seem to decide themselves what I need and remove items from it and I have to keep ringing them up and submitting another request for them to add items on it. It usually happens with my insulin or lancets as I get a 3 month supply each time, so if I happen to not ask for them within the 3 months of the update, the staff removes them! #@*$ing stupid people! I just suddenly went off my insulin????? "oh but u have another insulin on ur repeat"....yes! I take 2 kinds!!! Muppets! Makes me sooo cross....they shouldn't be working there if they don't know basics about diseases, and I realise that a lot of people aren't aware of the basics of diabetes, but they should be when working in a surgery and besides, it's the fact that when u inform them once, they continue to do it!! GRRRRR!! Ok, rant over! lol :crazy:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Ambersilva said:
Just encountered this problem with the Prescription Clerk regarding the 4mm BD needles not being available.

What is the brand name of the 4mm now being prescribed as a replacement please?
BD Micro-Fine Ultra 4mm/32 gauge
(formerly BD Micro-Fine+)

Busylizzie

IWBDF!

I had a email from accu-chek offering me a complimentary upgrade at the beginning of August. I got the Bayer USB meter from filling in a form that came with the BD needles. Previous to that I was using an Accu-chek meter. I think I have only ever bought one meter and that one was at a greatly reduced price from a local chemist

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IWBDF!

Register on the Accu-chek site and apply for a free meter. They also supply the batteries free.

D