Please please help

Shazzle80

Folks,

I had gestational diabetes and was injecting insulin 4 times a day. My little girl is now 9 weeks old and I'm still checking my blood sugars a couple of times a week. Yesterday morning my blood was 6.9 (before breakfast) and this afternoon it's read at 10 (I have been to a kiddies party and eaten a LOT of crisps, carbs and cake).

A recent blood test has shown I have the antibodies for type 1. Should I be concerned about the above reading?? I'm not thirsty or weeing lots. I am breastfeeding.

Thanks in advance. Sharon. Xx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have got the anti bodies you are probably aware you wil probably get full type 1 supposed to lada. Having general readings 6~7 with the odd 10, I would be ok with, not ideal but I wouldn't worry. Obviously see your gp if you are consistently high or have regular readings above 10. Keep testing regular to keep safe and spor any changes. If you start to wee more and very thirsty go to a and e.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

St4cey

Hi Sharon,

Firstly congratulations on ur new arrival ;) I am a LADA and currently manage my sugar levels with Diet and Metformin. My fasting readings are between 6-7 and if I had eaten lots of cake, crisps and party food I would expect a 10 or higher!!!

I echo what Brett says, keep testing and monitoring and any significant changes seek medical advice. Be mindful of the amount of carbs you eat to keep ur sugars in range, I'd try not to worry to much about ur afternoon reading, understandable after a party! ;)

Take care
Stacey x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

elaine77

Hi Sharon,

I'm ditto Stacey!

I had GD with my son and it went away afterwards but then it came back. I switched all my carbs to low GI and if I ate cake etc... I would expect to be between 10-12 mmol (so unfortunately no cake for me :-( boo) but I ate some chips the other day and got 14.4 mmol...not impressed!

I would just make sure you test after certain foods and keep a diary so u know how high they make you go. My overnight fasting level (breakfast time) is between 7-8 mmol but my fasting through the day (my pre-meal levels) are always between 4 and 5 mmol.

It's so confusing so I have one those diarys you can get from the diabetic hospitals where you keep log of your levels and food each day....would be lost without it :)

Good Luck xx

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Hi Sharon,

Other than the good tips already given, I would avoid excessive carb intake and ensure you exercise properly. Anything you can do to help your body and avoid glucose overloading it will be of benefit.

Frankie