leg cramps

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
Fascinating the differing responses. I used to have cramp attacks before my diabetes type 2 was diagnosed. Now my sugar levels are down no more cramp attacks.

I don't however think it is that simple I suspect there are multiple reasons for cramp attacks. I'd see your doctor

Regards
Jeremy

SAH154

I saw a Senior Orthotist last week and he said mine was caused by muscle contraction, not helped by the charcot foot etc but suggested stretching exercises 3 times a day I still get twinges in the night but if I do I stretch them again.

wizardo

berylc said:
I've always had leg cramps on and off for years, long before I was diabetic. Now they are far worse, last night I lost count of the number of times I was woken by cramp, I know twice I had to get out of bed and try to stretch my foot on the floor to straighten it, sore didn't come into it! I wondered if cramp could be linked to my sugar levels. I don't get testing equipment from Dr, so have no idea what my levels are (although I was bad last night and had a chocolate covered ice cream, it was wonderful!). I'm on metaformin 500mg, one with breakfast and two with my main meal, whether it's lunchtime or tea time. I don't have a high salt intake, does that make cramp worse?
My husband has got used to me jumping out of bed and screaming now! Doesn't frighten him anymore, he just turns over and goes back to sleep :lol:
I'm type 2 diabetic.

It was the leg cramps that alerted me to the fact that I was starting to suffer from diabetes. Since cutting out all carbs, my blood sugars have plummeted and the cramps have gone. No doubt about the connection between leg cramps and high blood sugar levels.

Doughboy2

Don't laugh but I suffer with cramps in my legs and was told to have some pickled onions and also drink some of the vinegar from the jar. I have 3 desertspoons of the vinegar and about ten tiny silverskin onions. It works every time Quick cheap and easy and used when needed

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
im insulin controlled type 2 have had cramp since my teens now 68 doctors cant find a cure i never take salt and for ever checking labels i sometimes sleep with one leg out of bed touching floor i take quinine and tonic water to no avail :problem:

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Grrrrrr had night calf cramps for months over last couple of days thought thay had eased off. This morning woke up by cramp I the muscle in the front of my shin. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!

Biker Jimbo

May I suggest a glass of low calorie tonic water every evening because as mentioned before it is the quinine which has helped me. I used to get horrendous leg cramp after exercise classes and this did work for me. I understand that it does not work for everyone but may be worth a try, others have said gin with it helps!! :)