Best Pump for Watersport / Sea Rowing

Ross1975

Hi everyone. I've been approved for a pump (hooray!) - but am concerned about which pump would work best with my lifestyle. My DSN and all of my "group of pumpers" are keen on the Accuchek Combo, but I am a sea-rower, and spend an awful lot of time on the water, in circumstances in which there would be a risk of the pump being submerged accidentally. Disconnecting the pump doesn't seem a good idea, as I could be a few hours at sea before I return to dry land and the pump. So I'd like a pump I can wear while rowing at sea. The Animas Vibe and the Omnipod are both marketed as "waterproof" (even though the IRX rating of the Vibe is identical to the Combo - it's ultimately a warranty thing, I suppose), and the Omnipod does look as though it might be good for strenuous exercise - but I wondered if anyone has any views on the best pump for this sort of activity?

iHs

Not too much harm will come if you just disconnect from the pump for an hour or so and not take it in the water with you. The basal insulin from the previous hours and also part of the bolus, will still be active so blood sugar levels wont just rocket upwards because of being disconnected for 1 or 2 hours. In any case, once connected again, a small correction dose can easily be done.

drvoles

iHs said:
Not too much harm will come if you just disconnect from the pump for an hour or so and not take it in the water with you. The basal insulin from the previous hours and also part of the bolus, will still be active so blood sugar levels wont just rocket upwards because of being disconnected for 1 or 2 hours. In any case, once connected again, a small correction dose can easily be done.

True. But I believe the OP said he may be at sea for more than just a couple of hours.

I think I read somewhere on here previously about a waterproof case for insulin pumps.... Have a search around Google for waterproof insulin pump cases and see what you can find...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kt78

Hi, I use the omnipod and think it may be ideal for you. I'm not a rower but I swim and it is totally waterproof and of course there is no tubing to get caught on things. If your PCT - now called CCG will fund the omnipod you can always ask to meet a sales rep and they will let you do a trial. The following is copied from the Ypsomed FAQ page:

The Pod has an IPX8 waterproof rating; this international standard means that the Pod has been tested to function normally in 25 feet of water for up to 60 minutes. As a precaution, if you plan to be in water for a long time, we recommend that you get out occasionally to make sure that the adhesive is still securely attached to your skin. Because the temperature of most hot tubs can spoil insulin, making it ineffective, we do not recommend wearing the Pod in a hot tub, unless you keep it out of the water.

FYI I use it every day in warm / normal temp baths and showers ad have never had an issue.

All the best :wave:

JeanetteGr

I use the Animas Bibe pump with the CGM. I love it and it is waterproof so you don't have to disconnect the pump when you're in the water:)

JeanetteGr

JeanetteGr said:
I use the Animas Bibe pump with the CGM. I love it and it is waterproof so you don't have to disconnect the pump when you're in the water:)
I forlot to say that my experiences is that if you are alot in the water, the tape sometimes Get loose and the infusion set fall out..... But i always have a entra infusion set with me in my bag when I'm bathing:)

ccoles1

Hi Ross1975
I have a accu chek combo. I have a water proof pump case which is very good. I swim with my pump in the case all the time. As JeanetteGr said about the cannulas I have the same problem that they do occasionally come out. But I always carry a spare cannula with me anyway. I have dingy sailed with my pump in the case with no problem.

Milliesmum

My 11 year old daughter is on the omnipod and swims for two hours twice a week, the pod is waterproof and so there is no disruption in her insulin delivery. She gets out of the water after 1 hour to check its ok but this is for 5 mins then she is straight back in again. The no tubing has also been brilliant as there isn't anything to catch on her wetsuit if she's in the sea - also as the pod administers the insulin, the PDM can be left on the beach, on the pool side, or even in the changing room.