Info required re: Bydureon

kellibabi

Hello,

I am due to have an appointment with the Diabetes Team on 31st May 2013 re: going onto Bydureon.

I've noticed some posts on here regarding people starting to use it - most dated Jan 2013.

Just wondered if anyone had any updates as to how they are getting on with it?
Any side effects/feeling better etc?

Any info appreciated :)

kellibabi

Haven't started it yet - FINALLY got my box with 4 doses in yesterday. Just waiting for an appointment with a nurse to go through how to do it. Looks difficult but will get there!

magicaldebs

I started Bydueon today. I was forced into it really. I had a bad experience on Byetta and the GP said its either Bydureon or Insulin (Groan)
Let me know how you get on with it
Debs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Johnhawkins53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Bydureon since April. Metformin and sitagliptin etc, weren't having the desired effect, so my diabetes nurse recommended trying Bydureon. Didn't have a problem with injecting myself - the literature with the injection kits is very clear if you follow the instructions carefully.
Result? It took a while to kick in, but after 6-8 weeks, my blood sugar levels were down lower than they have been for ages, so I'm happy about that, and feeling the positive effects. As the effectiveness of the injections increased, so did the side effects - for me, indigestion, constipation and occasional nausea. I'm told that side effects will decrease with time - we'll see! A positive side effect is a loss of appetite, so I'm eating less now and have lost some weight (very welcome, although I wasn't particularly overweight to start with!)
Recommended to give it a try if your GP or diabetes nurse thinks it would help (it's certainly not suitable for everybody). Just remember that you have to be patient for it to take effect - the literature suggests 4-6 weeks - I'd give it 6-8 weeks.

kellibabi

Well, I did my first injection yesterday - managed to get about 3/4 of it into my thigh as the plunger had a mind of it's own &
squirted some out before I could get the needle in - aaargh!

Still, better luck next week with that.

About 3 hours after the injection, the waves of nausea + a headache started.
Fingers crossed these will go in time.

Was a bit hesitant over the size of the needle, but luckily, I have fat thighs so didn't feel much! :lol:

Next Sunday should be 'interesting'.

Springdot

Just started on week six. The glucose levels are now much better after frightening highs in weeks 1 and 2. Weight not changed much, maybe a little down. Nausea is almost constant. Constipation too. Hope it's going to improve, does anyone know how long the nausea lasts?

kellibabi

Did my 3rd injection on Sunday. This morning I have 2 red, itchy, hot lumps about 2 inches apart on my thigh (both of which had been used as injection sites on week 2 & week 3).

Has anyone else had this reaction?

Headache is constant, nausea comes in waves, am constantly tired & feel rather 'bunged up' to say the least!

PLEASE tell me Bydureon will be worth it in the end?????

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
kellibabi said:
Did my 3rd injection on Sunday. This morning I have 2 red, itchy, hot lumps about 2 inches apart on my thigh (both of which had been used as injection sites on week 2 & week 3).

Has anyone else had this reaction?

Headache is constant, nausea comes in waves, am constantly tired & feel rather 'bunged up' to say the least!

PLEASE tell me Bydureon will be worth it in the end?????

Hi! I used Byetta originally and kept vomiting up my food after I ate anything and I also used to feel weak and shivery with many gastro upsets and headaches and I believe Bydureon is very similar except being slow release and only 1 injection a week although as the medicine is slow release with bigger particles the needle gauge is thicker and I have heard of others ending up with a particually 'Angry' looking injection site ..I would personally have a chat with your diabetes team as you don't want to keep suffering with those symptoms.

Best wishes

Paul

kellibabi

Well, injection number 5 was yesterday - I seem to be getting the hang of it. I still have what look like purple bruises under my skin from 3 of the previous injections (hoping they go down soon). Also my bathroom habits (am being polite) have gone from one extreme to another.

Seeing a DN tomorrow so I may 'drop trou' & show her my war wounds lol!

Anyone else experience the 'bruising' on their legs/injection site?

magicaldebs

Hi I have been taking Bydueron for 6 weeks now, I had a terrible time with Byetta, vomiting and extreme nausea, but very little side effects with Bydureon. For the first three weeks I had diarrhoea, that's stopped but I'm now a bit constipated. I've lost 20lb but have been cutting down. My blood sugars are in the region of 7-8, where as they were 15-20. I do have the itchy lumps under the skin for every injection I've taken, they don't look like going. But overall I'm happy. I feel healthier and I seem to be getting used to it.
Debs

webby704

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
hi been on byetta for 2 months now no change in weight or BS going back to see diabetes nurse this week been told might swap me over to Victoza not sure if there is much difference? but I have not heard of Bydureon? does it work the same way as the other 2 or do you find it better,are there many side effects as I am struggling with nausea and headaches all the time with Byetta and Metformin combination.

magicaldebs

I struggled with nausea, vomiting and headaches with Byetta. Apparently Bydureon is the same drug but its a once a week injection so a slower release which has made all the difference to me. Byetta didn't have much affect on my blood sugars, the were still up in the high teens, even with the maximum dose of Metformin, I didn't lose any weight like some people did.
Bydureon can be a fiddle to mix and the needle is bigger, but its controlling my blood sugars and a

magicaldebs

Sorry pressed send accidentally lol
...and no nausea from Bydureon. For some reason my GP was a bit reluctant to give me Bydureon, may be its more expensive, but for me it works. I'm still on the maximum dose of Metformin too, but blood sugars stay steady at around 7-8 all day.
I hope this helps. Let us know how you get on
Debs

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
When I was on Bydureon, I had whitish lumps at each injection site for a few weeks but they were under the skin and no problem. I had no gastro-intestinal problems or headaches. The injections were challenging, however, with bleeds. I was never sure I had got it all in or whether some of it was escaping! I am now on dapagliflozin - a once daily pill - that makes me pee out some of my blood glucose along with its calories. Lower HbA1c and weight loss - great.

Regards

Doug

Beamergirl1

Hi all I have used byetta for several yrs and have now changed to once weekly bydureon. My sugar are a little higher around 8. But is it normal not to have the lumps under injection sight I haven't had any yet. I'm also ravenous not just in my head my stomach growls then I start having a bit of a wobble and have to eat. It's wk3 and I've gained 6lb. Every one else seems to just feel nausea and the usual side effects no one seems to mention these symptoms. I've lost quite a lot on byetta it was just fitting it in with my constant work n not eating regular times. This sucks but seems perfect on the write up.

kellibabi

Am currently very bruised & have lumps the size of 5p's under my skin. Went on holiday recently & there was NO WAY I could wear a swimming cozzie because my thighs look like I have leprosy :(.

I think I'll look into Dapagliflozin & ask my DN about trying that instead when I next see her.

Thanks Doug :)

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on Bydureon for about 6 months now. Haven't noticed that it changed my apetite at all but Dr at clinic was very pleased with my BS results so she wants me to stay on it for good. Didn't really believe me when I tried to tell here that I had been so very, very careful with what I had been eating. I get the bumps, in fact I have still got some hat are still hard and about 10 - 12 weeks old. I inject Monday mornings but by the evening I am just about ready to tear the skin off of the area on my thigh where I injected from the heated itchiness

webby704

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
since I last wrote on forum I have tried bydureon, byetta, and I am now on lyxumia for past 3 months all along with my metformin yet my bs is still way to high between 15 and 22 i:mat a loss what next seem to be getting worse anybody else with type 2 can give me any info please

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Webby I am the same, my sugars are in the same range as yours. The GP gave me some Gliclazide as these have worked in the past but they haven't made any difference. He said if this was the case, then the Beta Cells are fed up and are not working. He has made a referral to move to Insulin. Do you have a good GP can you request this?