BBC 2 tonight Pregnant diabetic mum to be

nmb264

New programme starting and I think they follow a diabetic pregnant mum to be! Worth a watch maybe...9pm

mrsguiseley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I watched it then promptly wished I hadn't! I'm 18 weeks pregnant and was upset to see that the lady had been in hospital since 20 weeks due to kidney problems. I was also surprised that she was still doing manual injections - in my health authority, Kirklees, pregnant women are placed on a pump before trying to conceive to try and get a good HBa1c before conception and I have already been told that during my induction I will be placed on a sliding scale insulin drip... Uurrgh...but if it's best for baby I will try not to complain too much!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mags68

Yeah I watched it too and got very upset. My daughter is type 1 she s 14 so a long way to go before she is thinking of having children but made me stress more about her health. wish the programme had said in the end how the mum and the baby were doing

H

Hooked

I sat down to watch part way through when my daughter mentioned one of the mums to be was diabetic. From what I seen they didn't really go into much detail on the diabetes care side of things; but then again, these types of programmes don't really go into details on the medical side of things, it's more about the human interaction really.

I was shocked to hear about the kidney problems too. I've got two healthy teenagers of my own now and my sugars were blummin awful during my pregnancies. I was very lucky.

nmb264

I suppose it showed the potential non perfect pregnancies for all ladies but obviously the diabetic girl related to us. I'm trying to be positive and think everyone is different and although it said if was due to her pregnancy maybe she had a few issues before?

My local authority don't put girls on the pump as they feel it can cause more issues trying to regulate the pump etc. I was surprised though she was still injecting into her tummy.

I'm planning a pregnancy too and it's a massive decision Very hard at times.

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
I saw the last half of that programme so didn't see the history of the T1 mum only when she had the c section. Very worrying though. I'm planning a pregnancy too and it's such a scary time. Wish I could be one of those people who could just enjoy being pregnant without having to think about BG ALL the time :(

Had my first preconception consultation a couple of weeks ago and broke down in front of the Nurse. It was very overwhelming even though my HbA1c is excellent (OK too excellent - found out I'd been ODing on Levemir and having too many hypos so HbA1c was 5% (35) :shock: - found this shocking and upsetting, I was told to relax about it which was also scary but I seem to be getting good control :D ).

The positives I suppose are that I was told I would have weekly appts with the diabetes care team as soon as I am pregnant so at least I'll be constantly monitored and not left to go it alone. Not all mums-to-be have that kind of attention.

H

Hooked

LemonTree said:
I saw the last half of that programme so didn't see the history of the T1 mum only when she had the c section. Very worrying though. I'm planning a pregnancy too and it's such a scary time. Wish I could be one of those people who could just enjoy being pregnant without having to think about BG ALL the time :(

Had my first preconception consultation a couple of weeks ago and broke down in front of the Nurse. It was very overwhelming even though my HbA1c is excellent (OK too excellent - found out I'd be ODing on Levemir and having too many hypos so HbA1c was 5% (35) :shock: - found this shocking and upsetting, have been told to relax about it).

The positives I suppose are that I was told I would have weekly appts with the diabetes care team as soon as I am pregnant so at least I'll be constantly monitored and not left to go it alone. Not all mums-to-be have that kind of attention.

That was one thing I loved about being a pregnant diabetic, getting to see my baby every fortnight when I got scanned. :D Another was knowing that I wouldn't have to go over my due date or play the waiting game of wondering when labour would start. :)

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 now for 47 years and had my son 38 years ago. Even then I found the doctors monitored my diabetes constantly during my pregnancy and I felt very well cared for. The only real problem I found with being a diabetic mom is that you tend to have a larger baby which is why my pregnancy ended with a c-section. Keeping an eye on blood sugar levels obviously helps.

MrsDMiles

Hi ladies
I'm not pregnant I'm mammy to a beautiful little boy who is type 1 and only 3.. I stumbled across a lovely group on Facebook called sugar mummies for pregnant ladies with diabetes.. Thought it might help x x