Insulin pumps

I have been an injection type 1 for 2 years and I'm thinking of changing to the pump. I have been offered two pumps and one was the new omnipod wireless. I like the sound of it being wireless which would make life a bit less of a hassle.
I was just wondering if anyone had this model and could help me to decide if I would like this one.
Thanks for the help!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not on that pump, but am using the accu chek spirit combo. Very happy with it and would not go back to mdi. Very versatile ie hourly basal rates, temp basal rates, different types of bolus actions. Also blue tooth connectivity between pump and machine meaning only have to touch the pump when changing canulas.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Milliesmum

My daughter has been on the omnipod for 5 weeks, can't comment on other pumps but this has been a revelation. We researched all of the pumps and the omnipod seemed to be the best option for her - no tubing, automatic needle insertion, it's very small and you can swim in it. (She is only 11 and with school swimming, dancing classes, PE etc this seemed the best fit for her lifestyle.)
I will be honest, I worried if it really would stay attached especially when she goes swimming but having just returned from a two week holiday I can tell you that once the pod was stuck on, it stayed put for the full 3 days despite her swiming in the sea / playing in the sand.
The pod comes in a sealed pack together with a syringe, you inject insulin directy into the pod and then put it alongside the PDM, this then transmits data to the pod - once it clicks thats it, you stick the pod on, press insert neddle on the PDM and away you go, you only need the PDM near the pod if you are pumping for food you are about to eat.

Prior to us getting the pump I contacted Lee at Omnipod, our local rep and he sent us a sample so we could see it for real as it were and understand just what was involved, we then approached the hospital and requested this particular pump. (They hadn't used this particluar pump before but again Lee went into and trained the diabetic team and them we meet both him and the team twice over 2 weeks to get it set up.)
Getting the pod off also hasn't been a problem, I initally bought Appeel medical adhesive removal spray but have found hair conditioner works just as well.
It's still early days for us but no regrets so far.
Hope this helps

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
I too have been on the Accuchek now for 9 months. The best ican say is it has changed my I
Life. I would never, never want to go back to 7 injections a day and the none sense that goes with that. Can't recommend highly enough and so much support too