Cant controll my actions when in 'hypo'?

taylorline12

I'm sure most do really stuiped things when taking a hypo, but im like really bad. I do the wierdest stuff and cant controll myself. Its like i kow im doing it, and i should stop because its not the right thing to do, but i just cant help it.

For example: This morning i took a hypo before school, my mum was moaning at me to get up but I got really frustrated and started arguing with her (she didnt know I was in hypo) after cursing and lashing out I think she finally got the message as im usually a laid back kind of person. So she got me lucozade etc but my sugar level wasn't going up, despite countless drinks of lucozade and a hypostop, but because I was evetuallly acting 'normally' she tried to send me off to school when she thought my sugar was okay(although really i was 3.2), she kept saying "oh you'll be fine soon just let the lucozade kick in".

Eventually after arguing for about half an hour of her trying to get me out the door, she had to leave for work, but by this point i was still very low and very, very angry. So I decided to pour all the sugary drinks down the sink, bin all my hypostops and all types of food in the house that classed as 'sugary'...no idea why i done it? i was sick of eating and driking by then so I just got out of controll.. then i saw some whiskey and decided to drink that,i knew i shouldnt do it but i couldnt stop myself. so i did that and ended up being drunk for about an hour on top of all that. I finally came round and when i realised what i'd done i was like "oh my god,what did i just do?"

Sometimes i just get so out of controll, I manage my diabetes compleatly by myself as i have made it clear to my family and friends i absoloutly hate them getting involved.Allthough they always do anyway so i just lie about my sugar level alot like when im low i'll just say im fine and deal with it myself.

In hypos its just so wierd, i talk the most **** you've ever heard and i honestly feel like im drunk when i take hypos, its exacly like being drunk only your fully aware of what your doing and its like 10x worse, im a different person,like really different.

Anybody else like this? or is it just me, haha? :D

Scardoc

I am the opposite, I get very nice, overly chatty and a tad hyper when I hypo. I get angry when hyper.

However, I think you need to be less concerned with how you act when having a hypo and more concerned with not having a hypo in the first place! Seriously, your parents and anyone else trying to help you are doing so because they care and your post above sounds like a cry for help if ever I heard one. Your still at school so it's horrible you have T1 diabetes at such a young age and you clearly (and don't take this as an insult) don't have the maturity yet to deal with it alone. The drinking proves this and drink + T1 diabetes will never have a happy ever after.

Get some help, whether here, at your surgery, your hospital or someone you can trust and talk to. You need it. No one should have to deal with being T1 alone and certainly not a teenager. I have a 15yr old daughter and she has enough to deal with growing up. If she was T1 like me.............. I can't even begin to imagine. I really do sympathise with you but please ASK FOR HELP.

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
I agree with Scardoc - you really need to get a handle on this and look at it seriously.

Firstly you should be checking your levels more frequently and share the results with your mum/family so they know how to react when you hypo. They'll start to see a pattern as to your odd behaviour.

Secondly, if you had 'countless drinks of lucozade and hypo stop' and were still low, then you aught to pop back to see your diabetic nurse/consultant as it would suggest that your insulin dosage is too high.

Thirdly, if reaching for the bottle is a result of your hypo-ing (a new one for me), then get your mum to keep it out of reach as this really wont help you at all. Discuss this with your diabetic nurse/consultant too as this could have serious consequences.

You're not alone but do need to take action. Best of luck.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
You are joking right Gezza?? The OP is type 1 and on insulin and frequent testing is vital for survival.(but you knew that didn't you anyway) :roll:

Back to the OP...I'm crazy and argumentative with a hypo and I get what you're describing but whiskey will just worsen a hypo as others have said,better off with jelly babies. :wink:

Best

Paul

WhitbyJet

taylorline12 said:
For example: This morning i took a hypo before school, my mum was moaning at me to get up but I got really frustrated and started arguing with her (she didnt know I was in hypo) after cursing and lashing out I think she finally got the message as im usually a laid back kind of person. So she got me lucozade etc but my sugar level wasn't going up, despite countless drinks of lucozade and a hypostop, but because I was evetuallly acting 'normally' she tried to send me off to school when she thought my sugar was okay(although really i was 3.2), she kept saying "oh you'll be fine soon just let the lucozade kick in".

Eventually after arguing for about half an hour of her trying to get me out the door, she had to leave for work, but by this point i was still very low and very, very angry. So I decided to pour all the sugary drinks down the sink, bin all my hypostops and all types of food in the house that classed as 'sugary'...no idea why i done it? i was sick of eating and driking by then so I just got out of controll.. then i saw some whiskey and decided to drink that,i knew i shouldnt do it but i couldnt stop myself. so i did that and ended up being drunk for about an hour on top of all that. I finally came round and when i realised what i'd done i was like "oh my god,what did i just do?"

Sometimes i just get so out of controll, I manage my diabetes compleatly by myself as i have made it clear to my family and friends i absoloutly hate them getting involved.Allthough they always do anyway so i just lie about my sugar level alot like when im low i'll just say im fine and deal with it myself.

In hypos its just so wierd, i talk the most **** you've ever heard and i honestly feel like im drunk when i take hypos, its exacly like being drunk only your fully aware of what your doing and its like 10x worse, im a different person,like really different.

Something not quite right there, you went to school today? But right now its school/college/university holidays?
Please do get help, take your diabetes seriously.
I wish you all the best xx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
WhitbyJet said:
taylorline12 said:

Something not quite right there, you went to school today? But right now its school/college/university holidays?
I wish you all the best xx

Schools went back in Scotland this week. We have a different system!

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Getting agressive during a hypo tends to be common from the type 1s I have spoken to and I remember when younger I used to have the same, even tried to physically attack the A and E guys who came round with the glucagon once in my teens. It's a survival instinct, you go into a type of crisis mode and everyone arround you is seen as being in the way of you getting your glucose to counter the hypo.

As suggested start off by trying to avoid them, they will happen from time to time so the trick is be prepared. Have your test kit handy as soon as you feel odd or getting aggitated first check your blood sugars.

I know your thinking gets clouded it's normal your brain shuts down all functions except those needed to preserve life. If you keep focussing on getting food/glucose drink it will get through. Try to ignore everything else other than countering your hypo.

The main thing to do is not to worry about it, yes it happens it's a natural survival reaction. Checking your blood sugars when feeling not quite yourself is the key. Often a good trick is to have some carb food after drinking that helps smooth things out and avoid hypos.

And for heaven's sake don't listen to Gezza, take action for yourself and you will deal with it much better. On the plus side over time you adapt and gradually build up more and more control during the hypos, I was even able to do the blood test and get to the glucose tablets with a 0.8.

Frankie

WhitbyJet

Anybody else like this? or is it just me, haha? :D[/quote]

I wish you all the best xx[/quote]

Schools went back in Scotland this week. We have a different system![/quote]

Thank goodness, I was seriously worried that taylorline12 was wandering out there to school whilst being hypo, confusion can do this type of thing.
I hope she gets help and support and can learn how to avoid scary hypos - *hugs*

badmedisin

Don't resist help! I know it's a pain in the butt & feels like ppl are interfering, but they're trying to help and right now you could certainly use the help. If you're having hypos that bad, you've got a serious discrepancy in your insulin to carbs ratio. You should be able to sort a hypo with a third of a bottle of lucozade. Please see your dsn, and keep carbs with you. You don't want to die of a hypo.

@gezzathorpe that's a stupid thing to say, especially to someone who is obviously having problems. I am always armed with a meter - it doesn't stop me "having a life", it's the only reason I've still got one. And my sight, all my limbs, etc. Do grow up.

taylorline12

Thanks for the replys everyone. Haha, as contradicting as it sounds from reading my origional post, I do actully know how to manage my diabetes (considering I've had it since 18 months).

I don't test often, reason being I can feel when I'm low/high or perfectly normal, and I'm always right about it.

But the reasons I end up in hypos is because I often delay taking action (not the smartest idea.I admit) But for example, I might be in a shower and start to feel low, personally I'm not going to jump out the shower immediantly to fix it...I just don't,unless I feel it really bad. But that time there got a bit out of hand I admit, partly because I was stressed+angry and arguing etc, and to be perfectly honest no one ever takes me seriously when I tell them stuff(I'm not being 'teenagy', trust me haha) so that's why I just don't. Saves me looking like an idiot+that.Although it is frustrating.

Its hard trying to get people to understand, I don't know anybody else with diabetes. None of my family have it or anything, they only know what the doctors tell them, and that it very little compared to what actully goes on, if I'm honest.

Thanks though :) and yeah, I am actully back at school... :(

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am also in school (age 15, nearly 16) & act really weird when hypo.. I tend to be more chatty & hyper, I also suddenly want to do everything and start running round trying to organise things and get everything done, which of course makes everything worse aha... Your story sounds really similar to me - I don't let anyone help me with my diabetes, I need to be in control of it myself, bit of a power complex combined with the fact I find it easier & less irritating to do it on my own. Me telling you to let your family help you wont make you do that, but I guess it's a choice between that and having more problems later on...

The main way to stop you doing stupid and or dangerous things whilst hypo is to let others help you.

alison184

Hypos are the bane of a diabetics life. I've been diabetic since I was 10 years old. I had a normal school life because people around me looked out for me. It's a must when you're so young. I remember being embarrassed that I was diabetic and always told friends that I'd been cured. Adults around me however knew I wasn't!! As time goes on you'll understand your hypos better and learn how to catch them before they take hold. I still get caught out and I'm now 43 years old! My hypos tend to be either me being ignorant to people talking to me, drunk looking as my ability to walk properly seems to go quite quickly these days and I have also been really rude to people trying ti help me. I once told my boss I hated her and refused to tell an ambulance man my date of birth, telling him he shouldn't ask a lady her age!! Really bizarre behaviour. Hypos are a serious part of this condition, but I'm sure we all have funny stories of hypos, my sister's always telling me things I do and say when she sees I'm going down the hypo road, but luckily because she understands when I'm starting to have once beyond my help, she sets about bringing me back to myself. It's so important to have at least one person around you who understands exactly how you react with hypos.

taylorline12

Haha! My hypos vary a lot, as I said I always know when my blood sugar is low or high without actually checking it.

Sometimes I get very hyper and want to start going for a run or something haha! Othertimes I get really pi**ed off with everyone, othertimes I get in fits of giggles and start doing really stuiped things...sometimes it's funny though.

I remember once when I was still in primary school (age 11) I took a bad hypo where I passed out. I finally managed to come round without waking up with nurses sorrounding me. But I had lost my speach for about an hour afterwards haha! I genuinly didn't know how to talk! I remember trying to say something about my friend who was there at the time but my words were slurred and every thing came out as "wh-ahtt". Was pretty wierd.

Another time more recently I passed out again during my sleep. It took me 30 mins to actully start to come round, but apparently when my mum and brother were trying to feed my sugar etc I punched them both in the face without knowing it. Ahah! Justice :)

But in all seriousness. I try to explain how I feel but there really is no way to say it without sounding compleatly nuts! And I mean that, it scares me how it sounds sometimes...

I wish I did have somebody who actully knew and undeerstood, rather than just take it for what it looks like. Because telling people just makes me feel so strange, like a complete idiot, based on the look, and the very short replys I get after: "oh...ok-ay then..." *leaves room quickly as possible* haha! :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Taylorline

Sorry, but you are having too many bad hypo's. Have you been on a DAFNE course, did you take someone with you? Your mum is only trying to help her diabetic daughter......

I've recently (after 30 years) told my parents that I dont wish for them to talk about my diabetes unless I do, that I'm NOT their diabetic daughter... First off... I am their daughter!!

Could you chat with your mum and explain how you feel? Blimey, I so wish I had 30 years ago!! But seriously, it may not seem this way, but your friends and family just want to take an interest in you... But they are seeing the hypo's and getting worried. Its not nice for anybody to see you hypo, and to try and help.....its not nice for them or you.. Whether you are doing funny, stupid things or argumentative etc.

But my first thoughts are that you are not really seeing the hypo's as needing to be stopped...

Your friends and family will be expecting a phone call one day that you've gone hypo whilst walking to school etc and had an accident when crossing the road etc.. Or like me... 25 years ago.. Walked out from a shop that I was opening ... ( with safe key and store keys) and was found by a person driving on a dual carriageway 5 miles away..He almost knocked me over. He stopped, He thought I was drunk, but I was begging him not to leave me..... He got me home (another 5 miles) and called an ambulance.
I was lucky... He could have done anything to me. I am lucky to be here. I was a good looking, gorgeous, slim girlie in those days. Believe me, I was lucky.

I hear what you are saying, but it appears to me as if you are accepting that you do stupid hypo's as part of your life....sorry, you need to be checking your bloods and stopping these hypo's happening.... They are serious....especially when lucosade doesnt get you out of a hypo, its showing that your insulin was still working very hard still, so was excessive for your needs.

Please look at your levels and how much insulin you are having or food etc. i would not want you to do something as stupid as me 25 years ago.. Nowadays, you wouldnt stand a chance in hell...

And do try to talk to people and just tell them that you want to be known for being you first.... Not for being diabetic...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You mention that recently you went hypo in sleep and it took 30 mins for your mum and brother to get you to come round and you lashed out....

Can you imagine how that felt for them?
Please, how do you think they feel seeing their daughter/sister like this? Believe me its not nice for other people to treat you... Its horrible for them....

And you are NOT recognising hypo's if you are reliant upon other people in your sleep or waking up to nurses helping you. YOU ARE ONLY HYPO AWARE OFFICIALLY IF YOU TREAT THE HYPO'S YOURSELF.... AND DON'T NEED HELP FROM OTHERS.

I've had to write in capitals... Because if you're not helping yorself when you ate low, its because you can't..... You say you are in a shower etc... Then have lucozade in the shower with the lid on!!!

Honest, if you arent treating your hypo's when you are feeling them and you are alliwing them to progress its because your brain is unable by that stage to say "HEY....STOP, I NEED SUGAR" and no medical persons or even me as a type 1 for 30 years will see you as being hypo aware.