Confused still :/

wchrisuk

Hi you wonderful lot :)

So I've been diagnosed since January this year and now feel dumped and left in the corner.

Been told they are unsure what type I am (only on 2x 500mg metformin twice a day). Also found protein or whatever it's called in urine around april so started me on ACE increasing dose to (8mg). I'm Completely unsure what's going on with my kidneys or even how bad the damage is.

My problem is after the last blood test at 8mg (June) I've been left until I see my diabetic nurse in November and currently keep feeling sick in the morning, have no get up and go through the day, very short fuse and also been getting some back and left side ache. My bloods sugers are always around 4 or 5 never been high since under controll.

Just in the process of changing doctors just abit unsure what to do and should I be worried.

Thanks all

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like your blood sugars are in a good state with the numbers you give assuming they are a test 2 hours after a meal. The kidney protein obviously needs monitoring by the surgery. I guess if your current surgery thought it wasn't too serious then a Nov appointment might be fine. If it was me I might seek another appointment sooner and ask for another kidney function check? BTW I would suspect with blood sugar now that good and only on Metformin that you would be a T2 not a Late onset T1 but if your sugars start rising a lot that should be queried

wchrisuk

Thank you for your reply, I'm seeing new surgery next week and New nurse following week. See what happens.
Going to ask for bloods to be done.

I Feel similar to how I felt first diagnosed with diabetes but test blood first thing in morning and bloods ok I'm only aloud to test once a week. Might do a cheeky one before bed tonight see what it's like.

I think They are confused what type I am because I've been having symptoms of diabetes for years since 14 ish I'm now 28 but never showed anything back then but from my last blood test to me getting taken to hospital was around 6 months gap was feeling rough and weeing alot at night with blood suger at 26 before food. Endocrine said could be honeymoon stage. Is there not a way to tell 100% or is it just a waiting game.

Thanks again x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I believe there is a test I think its called GAD antibody test or something like that

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the GAD test for anti-bodies and c-peptide for insulin production level are the standard tests. Your insulin level sounds fairly OK currently. The GAD could be useful but many GPs won't do it or even have never heard of it. Your young age does imply Late onset T1 (LADA) is a possibility unless you are very much overweight

wchrisuk

Thank you for your replys I will ask about them when I go on Thursday and see what happens. My head is completely Messed up at the mo and just want to feel normal, well as normal as normal is

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Have you reduced your carbs in the diet? This will help greatly with blood sugar control and should also help weight loss. Go for low-GI carbs and set a daily limit of, say, 200gm/day to start with and reduce to 150gm/day or less as you get used to it. Apologies if you are already doing this. Although your weight is high so is your height. If your BMI is above 30'ish then perhaps Type 2 remains a possibility rather than LADA, but that's just guessing.

wchrisuk

Daibell said:
Hi. Have you reduced your carbs in the diet? This will help greatly with blood sugar control and should also help weight loss. Go for low-GI carbs and set a daily limit of, say, 200gm/day to start with and reduce to 150gm/day or less as you get used to it. Apologies if you are already doing this. Although your weight is high so is your height. If your BMI is above 30'ish then perhaps Type 2 remains a possibility rather than LADA, but that's just guessing.

Hi, no not cut down on the carbs that is my next step, it's going to be hard :cry:

wchrisuk

Hi all. Seen the nurse today for resaults. Im kinda wishing I never changed surgerys its been annoying.

Starting from when I asked for a gad and p whatsit test she instantly ruled out type 1 or 1.5 because im overweight and the metformin is working and when I mentioned about ive been told I could be in honeymoon stage she shrugged it off so back to today and the results

Well she looked through said my hb thing was 4.something (sorry cant remember exact numbers) and control was 5. Something % and then asked was I sure I was diagnosed as diabetic? I obviously got my metformin from a crack dealer! (Sorry feeling abit let down)
She then went to see a doctor who also said am I sure im diabetic cut me down half on my metformin to 500mg twice aday and said the resaults are far to good to be diabetic?

(Its strange as even the endocrine doc I saw when I was in hospital and 3 months after even said check weekly as I could be on honeymoon and need insulin)

Oh the next thing was please could I have some strips for my machine as I was told to test once a week to make sure im not creeping up only to be told no u dont get them on metformin. Oh well just hope Im not on honeymoon and my bloods dont go sky high.

Maybe shes right and im just worrying about nothing.

Sorry friends for going on. X

elaine77

Hi chris,

I am currently on metformin and it is currently working for me and I am definitely LADA diabetic as ive had the c-peptide and antibody tests done so saying that metformin doesnt work with LADA is clearly a load of rubbish and it annoys me that the doctors insist on spouting it! It can work for a long time, though admittedly there will come a time with LADA where it will no longer work.

However, that being said, ur levels are better than mine, im always between 4mmol and 8mmol so I never stay as low as 4 or 5mmol consistently as they are non diabetic ranges... ur age would lead me to think u are not type 2 though and so I would maybe keep asking questions and those blood results are really the only way to get a definite diagnosis... good luck!

wchrisuk

Thanks for your reply.

Well it appares something is not right as since she cut my metformin down half, my bloods are already creaping up. Mornings im always in the 4's today 7.2 then two hours after breakfast 11.2

I know its still not bad but why **** about with something that was working just fine?

Just a thought shouldnt the metformin take a while to get out my system so I shouldnt be seeing sudden changes? Even with the dose being cut?

Glad I have some strips spare to watch.

elaine77

As far as I know Metformin comes out of ur system straight away but it takes a couple weeks to get it back in and going properly again if you stop it or change it. When I changed from standard release to slow release I had to wait a week for my BS to settle back down but had spiked to 10-11mmol within 48 hours of stopping the standard release.....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.