Gall bladder removal and T2

Crasper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All. New to this forum so apologise if this has already been discussed. I had my gall bladder removed 10 months ago after 2 very nasty infections. Diagnosed T2 2 months ago. I have read some where that there may be a connection . Just wondered if anyone else has had their gall bladder removed and later diagnosed T2? Just curious :)

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I had my gallbladder removed after having pancreatitis, 5 weeks after I was diagnosed as Type 3 or secondary diabetes. It is managed as a Type 1 so I always say I'm Type1 as it saves a lot of explanations :) I'm on Levemir and Novorapid insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Due to have my gall bladder out very soon started having problems just after I became t2 last November...there is some medical data that shows a link,,,,,,but other causes as well....hope you are better now best wishes k

Crasper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kat100 said:
Due to have my gall bladder out very soon started having problems just after I became t2 last November...there is some medical data that shows a link,,,,,,but other causes as well....hope you are better now best wishes k
. It is so good knowing that there can't be another flare up at any time and another visit to A&E. My first time in hospital was for 3 weeks when it was diagnosed (December) then again in June for 1 week. Had the op then in September (1 night) hope all goes well with you x

K

Kat100

Hi thank you....such a painful thing that gallbladder ....had it out two days ago.....so much pain now in recovery...4 holes and a jar full of stones some as large as popcorn!!!! It is after all major surgery so can't do anything else other than rest and take pain relief....
Nice chatting to you best wishes kx

Hi I had my gall bladder removed after two long painful hospital stays cause by an infection, IV antibiotics, the lot. I'm now T2 but have never been told of any connection. I had one very large gallstone (which I still have) and it's larger than a nutmeg!

cosmic69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Office politics
Hi everyone

Has anyone else had constant IBS after Gall Bladder removal? Every rotten symptom.And I can't take cholestyramine because of the sugar in the normal one, and the sweetener in the light one. I'm trying to earn my living in a very stressful job and I'm at my wit's end.

Help!

:sick:

sunnydi

Hi there everybody, although I have had T2 for 2 years now I have just satisfied myself by reading other peoples problems and answers to various aspects of T2. But now I read a post on my latest email that made me want to write about myself. I had my gall bladder removed in 2010 but complications arose when cancer cells were found in the gall bladder. I subsequently had my liver skimmed to remove any potential rogue cells transferring themselves and had a course of gentle not agressive chemo. Just as I was coming the end of my chemo I was diagnosed with T2 which was totally unexpected as I am a slim person and had none of the symptoms of T2. So when I read this post recently I am totally of the opinion that gall bladder removal can cause T2,

Northernangel

Hi I'm hoping to have my gall bladder out soon. I've been scanned and its shown I have them, I keep having flare ups about 4 up to now, but the doc just says see how you go?
So yes my gall bladder and my diabetes
both came around the same time!

JimArmstrong

Had my gall blader removed over 10 years ago. 5 years after that I got gall stones again. Now I have type 2 diabetes. I think there is a link to this.

Northernangel

Hi
I'm just trying to put mine off but I know it will be sooner rather than later when I have it removed.
I'm just trying to control it!
Any ideas would be welcome please.
It's just things like I go on holiday abroad tommorow and I'm so scared its going to play up while I'm away!

Northernangel

Hi
I'm not sure trying to flush them is a good idea but thanks for the suggestion.
I have read that this can be done but it also comes with some mcomplications ?
Many people don't know how big there stoned are untill there out!
So they could maybe become trapped/ lodged somewhere they shouldn't and cause major problems.
Just a thought xx

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I had my gallbladder out last year it's the best thing that's happened to me it got to the stage where I was having a flare up every week I would recommend anyone suffering with this and if offered the op to go ahead with it

Northernangel

I am going to have mine removed but wanted to shift a few pounds first before going under the knife.. Just need about another stone off first.. I'm trying to control mine by eating hardly any fat but I don't know if its working? Still having flare ups!
It's got me wondering if its all related? gall stones/ pancreas/ diabetes? Think I may research it?

JennyP

I had my Gall Bladder out last December and in February recordered my highest ever BGL... Dr laughed and thought it a mistake and then repeated and here I am T2 ( we think) . I have been wondering if there is a connection as I was dxed Reactive HypoGlycemic about 9 years ago and was always good with my diet and having regular tests and levels were stable. Not brilliant ( 5.5) but nothing like now.

I had one stone too the size of a nutmeg. It was a black stone... calcium type. I have HyperParathyroid surgery last April after years of symptoms, then the November GB attack and emergency surgery. I wondered if the high calcium caused the stone.. I have not heard of any link before. Jen

ReadingLass

Has anyone else had constant IBS after Gall Bladder removal? Every rotten symptom.And I can't take cholestyramine because of the sugar in the normal one, and the sweetener in the light one. I'm trying to earn my living in a very stressful job and I'm at my wit's end.

Yes, no one tells you about that wee possible side effect/complication. About a litre of bile scoots into your system instead of being stored in the gall bladder. Really bad from op in 2003 till I was diagnosed with T2 in 2010 when I went on a low glycaemic load diet. The symptoms (sitting in the loo foreeeeeeever and the urgency) disappeared in the main though occasionally i have an odd day when it is very mild. My spaniel is very happy he can get out before 10am now! :lol:

The Gp can prescribe stuff but careful of the sugars and sweeteners in it. Other stuff around that is more natural.

Good luck - after nearly 25 years of gall bladder pain, it's worth it for me!
ReadingLass

missust4

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i was diagnosed as T2 about 6 wk ago and back in April (I think!!) I found out that I had gallstones!! So maybe there is a connection, it wouldn't have crossed my mind id I hadn't read your post. With me, it was just a case of great, another one to add to the list. Seeing hospital in Oct so fingers crossed. Going to research link now lol

punto53

Hi I'm t2 and have just found out after blood tests and scan that I have gallstones which I had a stay this last day or so in hospital because of flare up I'm having mine removed shortly I'm terrified.

JimArmstrong

Just before I had my gall bladder removed, I got Pancretidous. (Not sure of the spelling) I got it because a large stone passed by the pancrease and it flared up. The pancrease does what? Last I checked it produces insulin !!!