Hello I am a new member to the forum

HaroldE

Hello I am now over 90 yrs of age and first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2006. At first only controlled by diet I started Metformin 18 months ago. The Hb1c rose sharply and despite increased tablet dose it was thought necessary to add a small dose of slow release insulin. I am still finding it difficult to balance the insulin and the diet. I am interested in the forum questions and answers.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hello Harold,

Getting the ballance right is half the battle. This site has helped me come to term with a having to change my diet even more than I had. Some people here follow the low carbohydrate route, as low as 30 g per day, I manage very well on about 150 g per day. This might have to change as I get older, 60 this year, I have also resumed random testing to see what effect certain foods have on me. I was lucky enough to be able to come off my medication last year, due mainly to weight loss, and I will try to stay off meds for as long as I can.
Lee.

HaroldE

Thank you Lee for answering my introductory letter so promptly: I notice you are nearer my age than many other contributors. You have done well to come off all medication. I didn't have to worry about diet until recently. I shall be studying the various suggestions to see what works for me. This Forum will help.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Welcome to the forum Harold !

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Welcome Harold

I am quite new to the group too. My Type 2 is of my own making, I love food!
Weight loss will help me and low carbohydrate food makes perfect sense,
I have always loved healthy food, wholemeal bread etc but ate too much of everything.

Now I'm thinking twice about my choices.

If you are interested in lower carbohydrate choices I can thoroughly recommend the book
'Carbs And Cals' by Chris Cheyette and Yello Balolia. It has photographs of portion sizes, which I thought sounded a bit like a novelty but is actually eye-opening. It then also gives, calories, carbohydrate, protein, fat, saturated fat and fibre in grams per portion.

I have found the group to be helpful and informative, I am sure you will too.

Cara

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Welcome to the forum Harold :) Ask all the questions you like and someone will help.

HaroldE

Thank you for the Welcome everybody.
Yes Cara I too have just got that book giving the information about the carbs etc in many foods; it is good.
I sense the Forum is going to be most helpful too. Harold.