type 2 wrist bands? any piont?

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I realise that there is a good possability I am wrong but the diabetes wrist bands or medi alert tags as far as I know have no practical use for a type 2 diabetic (exception being insulin dependant type 2's) if I am wrong please elaborate.
Cheers james

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would think so. If someone doesnt experience hypos there is no need for wrist band

SpaceChick

Depends on how you conduct your life really.

I cycle a lot, and even though I'm on Metformin, not insulin, I still have a medi bracelet for peace of mind.... If I had a nasty fall and hit my head, I'd rather the emergency services knew and had an emergency number to call.

I dont wear one normally though, only when I cycle or go for long drives without OH.

H

Hooked

What harm would it be to wear one?

You could find yourself on the way to A&E for any number of reasons and unable to communicate your medical history. At least with a medical id on your wrist they can see that you have T2 diabetes and know to monitor your glucose levels, not administer medicines that might have an adverse effect etc. T2s can suffer complications as a result of their diabetes and the staff being aware of your condition could help them with diagnoses and treatment of whatever is wrong with you at the time.

Doesn't have to be in the form of a wristband if you don't like them; you could have a necklace or a card in your wallet. But medical staff being informed can only help, imho.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally agree. I see little point in the T2 ones but I've recently bought one as I'm on insulin and plan to wear it at the gym just in case. I've bought one that says 'insulin dependent diabetic' rather than T1 or T2

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't want one. I have a keyring that I made myself with details of my meds and allergies. I also made a credit card sized card to put in my purse. I did this just in case something happens to me when I am out on my own.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Hello i am type 2 diabetic and pysically disabled i wear constantly my type 2 diabetic wristband as i am on lots of medication &have other illnesses at least if a problem arose they could see i am diabetic even though i am on tablets.
& even if i was in an accident & say i was unconsious i would rather they know. also if anybody as any medical problems should have some sort of bracelet,tags ect so the emergency services know.

nok1888

There is a point in wearing a med id, if you were in an accident and they could give you a glucose drip

2.0 Border Collies - Jinky and Chance
3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger and Crunchie
1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina and Sedrick
0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

Reactions: 2 people

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
nok1888 said:
There is a point in wearing a med id, if you were in an accident and they could give you a glucose drip

2.0 Border Collies - Jinky and Chance
3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger and Crunchie
1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina and Sedrick
0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

Hmmm not that the others didnt make sense but they seemed to have other reasons aswell to ware one . But I guess that this dose make sense to me on a more personal level especially as I ride motor bikes. Guess I need to think about it now

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got an old fashoin SOS pendant attached to my key ring, not only does it have all my medical details/allergies etc on it, it also has emergency contacts in case something happens to me whilst I'm out. As I live alone the local Lions Club has a scheme which is known by the local emergency services were if they see a sticker on your door they know there's a jar in you fridge with all you details on it (that reminds me I must update it!!) Meant for older people, but good for anyone who lives alone I think.