Am I diabetic type 2?

carolius

Hello there! I had gestational diabetes with both my children (youngest 5) and have had sugar cravings for a long time. Recently I have put on half a stone (I'm small so that is significant). I am also having continuous headaches. I tested my glucose level about an 1.5 hrs after breakfast and it was 7.6, and then it dropped to 5.9 just before lunch.
Apparently I am border line diabetic type 2. Should I seek advice?
Thank you lots! :eek:

SpaceChick

I think it would be worth seeing your GP and seeing if you could get a glucose tolerance test if you are worried, especially after having gestational diabetes.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are more likely to get Type 2 if you have had gestational diabetes. You need to get it checked out.

DavidMH

I have a family friend, she and no one in her family history had diabetes. She had high BG during pregnancy, after giving birth she had to continue with injections, finally became T1. Very important you go to the doc and get a proper check up girl.

Dave MH

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I'd kill for your readings! If you are worried get it checked out though. You obviously produce insulin though and they are well within range. If your blood sugar levels DID NOT drop I'd be more concerned. I think you'll find you're ok. I have several friends who had gestational diabetes and ALL 8 of them reverted to normal post natum.

elaine77

Hi

I wouldn't believe just because you had GD you are type 2 as that's a load of rubbish these days... I had GD and they misdiagnosed me as a type 2 until full bloods were done which revealed I was a slow onset type 1/1.5... I think it's wrong to assume that GD automatically means type 2 because is my case the GD was an indicator of what was to come... If only I had have had the full bloods done after I gave birth to my son I could have saved myself 2 years of illness leading up to official diagnosis.. As it goes, they give u a GTT and nothing else. I think this should be changed.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.