Anyone know about alert dogs?

Gem90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi iv just heard about alert dogs. but i dont know how to claim one or how to get hold of one
i live in coventry if anyone knows how to claim one id be grateful
thanks gem

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi .

My yorkie Gracey is my hypo and illness alert dog .
She is a real scent seeking terrier by nature and training .
My best friend and protector .

She always know's when I ill with infection ,temperature even too .
Or with too high or too low blood sugars .
She can smell the scent changes on my skin and breath .
Alerts by scrabbling at my legs till I get my meter test kit .
She simply wont stop until I DO it - drives me mad sometimes - but she is ALWAYS right :thumbup: :thumbup:
Then stays by my side till I treat my needs with glucose or insulin as per needed .

When she is calm around me - all is well .
Sometimes she pays me a lot of attention and YEP an infection is "brewing" :shock:
She just so accurately knows ...
Over time 4years I have "learned to trust more" with her signs/indicators with me :thumbup:
They are 'markers' to changes within my blood sugars and health .

If have gone into severe hypo she will sit on/by me barking madly .
Till hubby comes to see what all the racket is ! [once she went up to his office and got him!]
Then he will treat me with glucose or glucogen if needed .

I adore her totally ...
She is my everything , I reward her with my love and cuddles, favourite toys/treats .

Anna .

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Can't you use a BS monitor? My wife has cancer amongst other things and had surgery last night, I have diabetes and blood clotting issues and manage to cope ok, Do you need a specially trained animal rather than a testing kit? I'm sorry things are tough for you. Do you have a loved one or friend who can help you out?

Good luck :)

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I understand time can pass you by, that's why I set alarms to test my blood glucose levels and when to take some of my 28 daily tablets. Are you able to or do you know someone capable of setting up something similar for you?

All the best and good luck with this, I wish you all the very best! x

H

Hooked

martwolves said:
Sorry, but spongers give normal living diabetics a bad name. Why is there even a page dedicated to benefits? Have you seen the pathetic 'I have diabetes and don't want to work again' pages? It pi$$es me right off! I'm a manager and it doesn't interfere with work AT ALL. Ok I shoot up, so what?!?!?! I am paying for these idle, selfish people. Why? Grow up.

You are very blessed to be someone who doesn't yet suffer from complications or lack of hypo awareness. Count those blessings; but please don't judge or **** down from on high on those less well off than yourself.

H

Hooked

martwolves - If you have "reconsidered" your posts as you have said in your PM to me (asking me to remove mine here) - then why have you not removed your own arrogant and abusive posts here?

Judge not lest thou be judged.

Ah, I see what you are up to again. Editing posts where you have been abusive when someone pulls you on it. My post is the only evidence of how nasty you can be. I think I'll let it stand for the moderators to see.

A

Anonymous

Hooked said:
martwolves - If you have "reconsidered" your posts as you have said in your PM to me (asking me to remove mine here) - then why have you not removed your own arrogant and abusive posts here?

Judge not lest thou be judged.

Do you wish to see the full log: ??

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Thank you hooked. I did say I was in a black mood yesterday as I'm worried sick about my cancer-riddled wife whose had her first of 5 procedures to remove her breast and ovarian cancer. I actually acknowledged I was not weighing up the whole story at that time and had not made a balanced and considered judgement. I told you this today and you don't have any empathy towards my situation and that's fine, but I wanted to pit things into context. I see the fraudster is back too. Telling me 25 people I'm apparently meant to ignore many of whom are friends. What a warped site this is. Hooked, thanks for completely missing the whole point. Everyone else, I was at Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, isolated, lonely and in a really bleak mood. Anything that is posted by me is fair game. My wife cannot work due to cancer and cannot claim anything, not that I want her to and I'm happy to pay for her. Some people think diabetes is a passport to doing nothing, the VAST majority it doesn't apply to. I apologise openly to you all, as I was in the blackest of moods and didn't respond constructively. Hopefully this is the exception, rather than the rule.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
martwolves said:
Thank you hooked. I did say I was in a black mood yesterday as I'm worried sick about my cancer-riddled wife whose had her first of 5 procedures to remove her breast and ovarian cancer. I actually acknowledged I was not weighing up the whole story at that time and had not made a balanced and considered judgement. I told you this today and you don't have any empathy towards my situation and that's fine, but I wanted to pit things into context. I see the fraudster is back too. Telling me 25 people I'm apparently meant to ignore many of whom are friends. What a warped site this is. Hooked, thanks for completely missing the whole point. Everyone else, I was at Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, isolated, lonely and in a really bleak mood. Anything that is posted by me is fair game. My wife cannot work due to cancer and cannot claim anything, not that I want her to and I'm happy to pay for her. Some people think diabetes is a passport to doing nothing, the VAST majority it doesn't apply to. I apologise openly to you all, as I was in the blackest of moods and didn't respond constructively. Hopefully this is the exception, rather than the rule.

I don't know you personally Mart but as a cancer survivor myself I want to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts.
I'm not surprised you were in a black mood yesterday with all the worry and stress.

Take care and best wishes

Paul

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gem90 said:
hi iv just heard about alert dogs. but i dont know how to claim one or how to get hold of one
thanks gem

This is the OP [original post] above to remind all .
Alert dogs are AMAZING gifted animal's and a mans/ladies loyal best friend .
I myself "have one" so am here encouraging this thread to please return to a
much more positive mode and stance .

Thanks Anna .

A

Anonymous

anna29 said:
Gem90 said:
thanks gem

Thanks Anna .

??? me no speakie English!!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
anna29 said:
Gem90 said:
thanks gem

Thanks Anna .

I think they're a fantastic idea for those who need one! The link posted above gives the info needed.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that they're widely available though, so I imagine you would have to have a REAL need for one and tried every other way to regain hypo awareness yourself.

Anna you're very lucky your dog has taken on the role without training!

A

Anonymous

hale710 said:
anna29 said:
Gem90 said:
thanks gem

Thanks Anna .

I think they're a fantastic idea for those who need one! The link posted above gives the info needed.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that they're widely available though, so I imagine you would have to have a REAL need for one and tried every other way to regain hypo awareness yourself.

System restore has worked fine. :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
gezzathorpe said:
hale710 said:
anna29 said:
Gem90 said:
thanks gem

Thanks Anna .

System restore has worked fine. :)

Here to help any time ;)

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Thank you Paul. Nice to see someone with a bit of humanity and compassion, instead of control freaks. I appreciate your kind remarks.

Three people on here, I hope you're pleased with your vile comments, PM's are so bold and not cowardly are they. You must feel brilliant about yourselves. You have contempt for my non-diabetic wife. How brave you are! The fraudster is on this post, can you guess who it is yet? It's not nuclear physics.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Rather than it be an exception, why not strive to let it never happen again. Why attack those who want to befriend and support you - the majority of us? It cannot help you and I am sure your wife would be horrified that your bad behaviour is because of her.

Anyone not claiming benefits that they are entitled to is a choice. Many people on this forum are not in tge fortunate position where they can make that particular choice.

Thinking of you and your wife that you may tackle the future with strength and love.

Doug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Guys

Please remember the Op's original post, it is about Alert dogs, who do a wonderful job helping us humans. It is spoiling the thread and causing negativity with crass and indifferent remarks.
This is a support forum and if a member doesn't like the thread or is not interested in it, then leave well alone. Bad behaviour will not be tolerated. So lets get back to being helpful and supportive to those that really need it and there are many out there who do. :D

If any member has a grievance about another member, or has proof of any fraudulent activity or nasty/upsetting pm's, then you must get in touch with a Moderator or Admin.

Try and enjoy the rest of the day and we have a bank holiday approaching, which is always nice.

Take care

RRB :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
OK...BUT...What you guys describe as bad behaviour that won't be tolerated-I see as a very stressed man who is dealing with more stress and worry than he has a right to and is venting off accordingly and he has a right to defend himself...personally I'm seeing more empathy on this site aimed at dogs than I'm seeing empathy towards Mart and his family which says a lot really :roll:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hale710 said:
anna29 said:
Gem90 said:
thanks gem

Thanks Anna .

Hi Hale .

Because there is a cut off point with a hypo alert dogs training age being 3yrs or more .
I was soooooo lucky to have some extra help and training done with 'Gracey' .

I learned that I was too slow to recognise her indicators towards me with an imminent hypo or infection/illness .
I had to be trained to recognise these markers and indicators from her .
She was and still is always ahead of me in scenting/sensing the changes .
This way I could see her responses sooner and treat myself accordingly .

It does become a team effort between us - she will alert - I have to then treat myself
and immediately reward her .
Lots of love,praise cuddles,contact and a toy/chew afterwards .
She never leaves my side till am well again ...

This is sheer devotion and her scent/sense instincts ingrained in her .

Anyone enquiring about a hypo alert dog will need to fill in applications forms
and agree to a full assessment into their diabetes and lifestyle

Anna .