Getting lost.

hornplayer

Mireille said:
hornplayer said:
Mireille said:
Mireille said:
does anyone else think this is a 'club' of nudge/nudge wink/wink people rather than a general diabetes site for all?
Fair enough. If you guys think you are offering a welcome, then who am I to argue. Wish you well.

Speaking from the outside looking in, this is not an attractive site. If you are fine with that then we are all happy? Private messages, according to the moderators, (Sat 11:04pm) are available to be read by any new member. Please comment
on this.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I'm not sure why this site is "unattractive", maybe you could elaborate?

- the moderators mean that new members will be able to read private messages sent to them, not to other people. In the past, a new member has had to have contributed to the site, - added a number of posts, before the PM feature has kicked in. That no longer applies.

- I'm fairly sure that's right but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Still not sure why you are upset by the tone of this thread in particular?

Mireille

hornplayer said:
["Mireille"]does anyone else think this is a 'club' of nudge/nudge wink/wink people rather than a general diabetes site for all?
Fair enough. If you guys think you are offering a welcome, then who am I to argue. Wish you well.[/quote]

Speaking from the outside looking in, this is not an attractive site. If you are fine with that then we are all happy? Private messages, according to the moderators, (Sat 11:04pm) are available to be read by any new member. Please comment
on this.

I'm not sure why this site is "unattractive", maybe you could elaborate?

- the moderators mean that new members will be able to read private messages sent to them, not to other people. In the past, a new member has had to have contributed to the site, - added a number of posts, before the PM feature has kicked in. That no longer applies.

- I'm fairly sure that's right but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Still not sure why you are upset by the tone of this thread in particular?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

That's good although I don't see the need for a rule. Once you've joined this site then you can use all the functionality. Don't understand why the mods had to send out a message regarding something which was blatantly obvious.

hornplayer

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

That's good although I don't see the need for a rule. Once you've joined this site then you can use all the functionality. Don't understand why the mods had to send out a message regarding something which was blatantly obvious.[/quote]

I think someone else had asked a question about it. The moderators saw that there was a problem with the existing system so they changed it.

If you have a question about the way the site is moderated, best to PM Giverny directly.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Previously a new member had to post at least 5 times before they could use the pm feature. Someone recently asked if this could be changed so that a new member could send pm's straight away. As far as I know pm's are just that. No-one but you and the person you send a pm to can read it. I wouldn't have any way of knowing if you send a pm to someone else. I think I have got this right.

When I first joined this forum many months back I was glued to the type2 section. Then I found the new posts section and found more going on. I still find the need now and then to ask a specific question about diabetes related subjects, but most of my stuff is general banter. I have even posted about getting a refund from the water company! Not diabetes related I grant you, but there might have someone else who could benifit from this info. I suppose thats what I enjoy about being here. It's like phoning a friend at the end of a good, or bad, day and unwinding with them. Hang around a while longer and you might feel more like joining in. If not, and you just want diabetes advice, this site is still good for that but you will have to learn how to skip over the bits you don't want.

Just to show what I mean.

Today is really warm, I should be outside, I could be walking on the beach with Lorna. Instead I am hoovering and preparing two bedrooms for later this month when some dear friends of mine come to stay at Lorna's for a week. It will be a great week showing them what we get up to here in Cornwall. One of the things we hope to do is go to an organ recital that would entail us crossing the estury on the King Harry ferry. The ferry is one that pulls itself across on chains rather than with a propeller. It's worth the trip just to hear the clanking of those chains!

Not diabetes related, just chat. Lorna has popped across the road with some runner beans we have picked, she likes giving them to neighbours. We now have to print out a wanted poster. The orchestra Lorna belongs to is losing its conductor. He does so much more than conduct, I think they are going to miss him very much. We will take the posters to some local librarys etc and hope for the best.
I hope you are well today Hornplayer, and of course, everyone else too.
Lee.

hornplayer

Hi Lee, I'm fine. - That ferry sounds fantastic! Worth going to the recital almost just for that, makes it more memorable.

Sad news about the conductor. It'll be hard to find another one. - Is there anyone in the orchestra who could step up? Maybe take it in turns?? - I used to find myself conducting the local community orchestra, along with a few others, when the conductor couldn't make it. Do you have a local music service? - I know that government cuts have caused many to collapse. - if there is one, you could try emailing them. If the teachers can't do it, how about a local head of music? - where are you exactly? - the old head of our music service lives there now, somewhere near the Lizard, I think. She head of music in a local secondary school, she plays clarinet but obviously has conducting experience. - her partner is an incredible trumpeter!

Mireille

hornplayer said:
Hi Lee, I'm fine. - That ferry sounds fantastic! Worth going to the recital almost just for that, makes it more memorable.

Sad news about the conductor. It'll be hard to find another one. - Is there anyone in the orchestra who could step up? Maybe take it in turns?? - I used to find myself conducting the local community orchestra, along with a few others, when the conductor couldn't make it. Do you have a local music service? - I know that government cuts have caused many to collapse. - if there is one, you could try emailing them. If the teachers can't do it, how about a local head of music? - where are you exactly? - the old head of our music service lives there now, somewhere near the Lizard, I think. She head of music in a local secondary school, she plays clarinet but obviously has conducting experience. - her partner is an incredible trumpeter!

Thanks I am now satisfied by people's written confirmation that PMs can not be read by others. If they are, then this would, of course, be in breach of the site's ethos and rules.

lrw60

Dislikes
hornplayer said:

Lorna and I will be taking her Austin Sevens to the Lizard on Sunday. If you could contact your friend perhaps she would come and have a chat with us, if she is interested of course. We will put a couple of orchestra posters on the cars. The orchestra meets for practise at Truro school on a Monday evening during term time. I have been to many of the concerts they have given and I have enjoyed them. It would be so sad if the orchestra folded. Have I mentioned about Lorna being an oboe teacher for a lot of her life? Have I also mentioned that she has decided to take a grade 8 exam on the oboe? 83 years old and still drives an Austin Seven the same age and wants to take an exam! Strewth! I'm worn out at 60!

hornplayer

Lee, my friend can't commit to anything that meets that regularly I'm afraid, and nor can his partner. He said he does know a trumpeter who lives near Truro who might be interested though. He's on holiday at the moment, but he's going to text me the details when he gets back.

Steph

lrw60

Dislikes
hornplayer said:
Lee, my friend can't commit to anything that meets that regularly I'm afraid, and nor can his partner. He said he does know a trumpeter who lives near Truro who might be interested though. He's on holiday at the moment, but he's going to text me the details when he gets back.

Steph

Thanks Steph, all help is gratefully received. Maybe your friends will be at the Lizard. The weather is looking a bit uncertain at the moment, Lorna will have to decide which of the cars she will be driving.
The second concert we attended last night was terrific, and there was a hornplayer! She wasn't there the first night because the music didn't need one. I am not sure if she will be at the final concert on saturday. Looking forward to it!
Lee.

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
hi im very simular have been on various diets throughout my life im now 68 had a heart attack three months ago i need to go on a diet or change my life am 17 stone 109kg at present whatever i do doesn't shift any weight im insulin controlled diabetes type 2 :problem:

hornplayer

It is a problem. Just in the last few days I've met up with one young friend, in her early 20's, newly diagnosed with T1. The son of another friend is in hospital, again, newly diagnosed aged 11 and I bumped in to another friend, who I originally met at a diet class, funnily enough, who is struggling, trying to manage her T2 by eating according to doctors orders.

Is it my imagination, or is diabetes on the rise?