DIABETIC STRIPS

michelereid2002

Put my script into chemist and yet again I only got 1 box instead of 4 x 50 of BG STAR strips they put a little note saying we owe you these this has happened a lot since I have changed my meter from a glucomen LX I fanced a change anyone else in the same boat with having to go back to get the rest of there strips doesn't matter what strips just let me know and see if something adds up why we keep getting short changed it would be a different story if it was money and not medication

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I get this all the time (Contour USB meter) and it's very frustrating, appreciate they can only keep so much stock but its annoying having to go back again, I've tried changing pharmacy's but they're all the same :(

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had that myself as well. It's a right PITA when I need to stock up for 3 weeks because I'll be away with work and not able to get back to the chemist again fro a while.

My local branch of Boots is on their final warning :twisted:

H

Hooked

The Dr only writes my prescription for 1 bottle of 50 strips at a time. Only lasts me 10 days max and made more frustrating by how difficult it is to get through on the phone to order a script or make an appointment. I've asked before could they up it to 2x50 but they don't. :crazy:

Chemist wise, it's usually the insulin I have to call back for at a later date; with one particular script I had to call back again twice before I got the insulin as they kept giving the supplies out to other people.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
ElyDave said:
It's a right PITA when I need to stock up for 3 weeks because I'll be away with work and not able to get back to the chemist again fro a while.

My local branch of Boots is on their final warning :twisted:

:clap:

Mind you, it's a right PITA full stop :!:

After 30+ years of paper requests and arguments with GP's, PCT's and Chemists over quantities, type, trade name, etc., etc., etc., I can honestly say that I am :sick: of the whole bureaucratic UK prescription system.

Not only that, why is it that I need to request a new 'exemption certificate' every five years? Is there something that they know that they're not telling the rest of us... like a) there's a cure for T1D, or that b) they know 3/5 of 5/8 of sweet FA when it comes to efficient healthcare management :?:

By now, I would have thought it quite feasible to have an exemption card that is just like a bank card: Chip and Pin, with photo ID and data that tells the chemist what I'm entitled to receive free of charge upon presentation of an itemised list. That list could be generated via a secure NHS provided website that enables us to select the items we need - this is then verified by one's GP at the 'click' of a mouse button. The requester would then be presented with the option to 'appoint' an appropriate chemist, who then receives an automatically generated post to their procurement system with the relevant data.

The system could be so effective that you should be able to 'request' your items by 4pm on day one and collect them by 12.00 on day 2 (subject to stock, of course).

Your chip and pin card would then be used to verify your identity and entitlements - it could also serve as an intermediate / emergency supply 'payment' method... I've had many occasions when I've forgotten to bring an extra tub of strips with me, only to discover that I've run out once I arrived at the office. The only solution was to buy a pack of strips at retail price (£25) as wrk was 1.5 hours from home.

Well, that's my :idea: moment for today.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
noblehead said:
I get this all the time (Contour USB meter) and it's very frustrating, appreciate they can only keep so much stock but its annoying having to go back again, I've tried changing pharmacy's but they're all the same :(

Take it all back, wife picked up my prescription this afternoon and all 4 boxes of strips included :roll:

michelereid2002

Great result I have to wait till monday for mine but at least I have a back up incase I run out but I think its a lot harder if type 2 they have to fight for supplys and if you in england its a whole diferent ball game like it is up here in scotland.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it is a pain if the pharmacy does not have all the prescription at once, but just ring them 24hours before you want the script so they can order all the items in ready.
Consider if they kept the strips in for you all the time, how long would they sit on the shelf until your next script or if you then changed your meter they would be left with dead unusable stock.
There are so many meters available it is impossible for the pharmacy to keep all types in stock especially as you may be the only patient.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Westie2 said:
I know it is a pain if the pharmacy does not have all the prescription at once, but just ring them 24hours before you want the script so they can order all the items in ready.
Consider if they kept the strips in for you all the time, how long would they sit on the shelf until your next script or if you then changed your meter they would be left with dead unusable stock.
There are so many meters available it is impossible for the pharmacy to keep all types in stock especially as you may be the only patient.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Why the effin hell should I have to ring the pharmacy having followed the process I was told to? My procedure should be
1) go online, tick the boxes agains the items I want from my repeat prescriptions
2) tell them which pharmacist I want to give my business to
3) tell them my mobile phone number so they can complete the service they offer and inform me when it is ready, having ordered it specifically if they need to, through their next day service
4) go and pick it up.

Normally however it ends up as
3a) they tell me it's ready
3b) I go and pick it up, only to find that either a) something is not there or b) they haven't even started to dispense it yet
3c) I either go home again, or if I have errands to run, do so
3d) repeat 3a) -3c) until everything is ready and dispensed (may take several days)
4) I eventually get what I asked for

This is why Boots are on their last chance. LLoyds seem much more efficient, I haven't tried Tesco, but I refuse on priciple.

These people are supposed to be offering a service to me, not the other way round.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I can be away from home for three weeks on the trot, and only home on Saturdays I need to know that the stuff I ordered on a Monday WILL be ready on the saturday, you might have time to faff about, but I don't.

I have a lot more to worry about and could do without adding this to it as well.