Sharps bin!

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Contact the waste disposal section of the local council. Most of them have schemes whereby they collect and replace your bin. They are entitled to make a charge but not many do charge.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get mine exchanged at my GP's practice.

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
May I ask - where did u all get your sharps bins fr? I've been diabetic for 13 years and I have been on 4 injections a day and the drs n nurses are STILL refusing to give me a sharps bin! It's ridiculous - they say just to dispose of my needles in the normal bin!!
Currently I have been using empty baby milk boxes and keeping well out of reach of everyone - I have been to my local disposal agency to be told they won't dispose of them as they are not in the efficient sharps bins which I am being told I do not require!!
Any advice?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
See your dsn/consultant. They will tell your surgery to put on repeat prescription like there meant to!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take mine to a local pharmacy for disposal, new one prescribed by the GP.

Stark

I get my sharps bins from my Pharmacy and then I take the filled sharps boxes to my GP whenever they are full and they are disposed of.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
hand it in at your pharmacy?
Hana

dmilnes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe your local council - district or borough - has an obligation to dispose safely of medical sharps waste.
Certainly my local council, Arun DC in West Sussex, provides an efficient service of collecting from my doorstep at 07:00 (on the dot!), a sealed and full bin on a set day of the week, and leaving an empty equivalent for ongoing use.
A thorough search of your local council's website should bring this to light - try 'Cleansing', 'Waste Disposal', 'sharps', whatever comes to mind. It would be a particularly obtuse council that wouldn't do this for you. :thumbdown:
Good luck. :clap:

john-f

I buy my sharps bins from my local chemist. A 1 litre bin costs around £1.50, and almost all the chemists in my area sell them.
When the bin is full I take it to my local chemist to be disposed of. I have never been refused this service yet.
I live in the Manchester area.

You can get via a repeat script at drs, or like me as I have a pump I need a larger one so rang local council who drop off a box then you call for them to collect when full then exchange for a new one, most pharmacies will take them too, once full and sealed, you can also buy from a pharmacy if no luck with prescription (only a pound or so)

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
my old surgery & my new surgery have put them on repeat prescription i take my full one to surgery then pick my new one up from chemist

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
my doctors and pharmacy refuse to dispose of them so I use the council. The doctors only have small ones on prescription but for disposable syringes and pen needles and finger prickers they are fine. Since I have had my insulin pump they will not provide those the pump company does - which probably means that the hospital is paying for them etc.

It is not good practise to put sharps into the rubbish and if someone has a sharps injury you could be prosecuted so if your doctors refuses to prescribe ask them to put it in writing so that you are not legally liable. They will soon prescribe as this is a prescribable item.