Carpel Tunnel and Type 2

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
This may be a stupid question but...... I have arthritis in my hands, not too bad but only two fingers are straight now -
they seem to be getting worse since diagnosed Type2 December last. My gp in May said the wrists is not bad
enough for operation yet but they are very painful and I'm beginning to drop things a lot more....

Question - I read that we should be careful with our extremities, but my complaint does not seem to be taken seriously, nor incidentally is my toenail infection that I've religiously painted for the last 3years....
So would being Type2 make my fingers and toes worse and should I push the operation or does this just seem like growing older,
wiser maybe but not fitter - I'm 65 and had knee&hip replacements in the last 4years. Also Coeliac condition for 30+.
My bloods are about 6.4 -6.9 otherwise I'm ok and enjoying life - thank you for reading my query. :crazy:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Like you I am type2 with arthritis, in most of my joints but the carpel tunnel pains flared up long before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I have also suffered with ingrowing toenails. I had a big toe nail removed a few times to see if would grow back properly. It didn't want to do that so the last time it was removed the root was destroyed. I can honestly say that virtually the whole process was pain free, if anyone else is faced with such an op and is worried. I was offered cortisone for the carpel, which I refused. I changed my diet in some way, can't remember how, it's too long ago, and the cp is now almost non existant, I have no pain from the area or lack of movement. I do have constant pain from the arthritis in my big toe joints which makes it very painfull to walk any great distance. I relieve this by buying the strongest boots I can get with the least flexible soles. I posted a query recently concerning clogs. Not necessarily wooden shoes as such, but a shoe with a wooden sole. I figured that if I could stop my toes bending as I walked and relied on the sole having a curve to allow the foot to rock, it would stop a lot of my toe pain. I haven't found a pair, yet.