mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Seek and ye shall find. Give me a topic and I'll Google a link to cancer somewhere ! Nothing proven, just a random paper.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
faeoj said:
to be honest nowadays everything has a risk of link to cancer! I was told that drinking too many fizzy drinks would increase my risk!!

I remember that in the 1970s when low cal drinks were artificially sweetened with saccharin. Turned out that you had to drink something like 300 bottles per day to get the same dose that they had been giving the rats when they tested.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had 12 - 18 units per day of Lantus for just over 2 years now (since I was diagnosed), wouldn't I have felt any presence or known about any risk of cancer?

I live in a really smoky household, risk of lung cancer is increased quiet alot and combine that with pollution from nearby manufacturing plants and landfill sites. However I feel no different than before I was diagnosed.

alaska

Also worth bearing in mind, on the subject of fizzy drinks/saccharine is that the rats are given the chemicals in fizzy drinks at very high dosage but over a relatively short time period as part of research.

When humans have potential carcinogens, we're often taking these in in very much smaller doses but also over very much longer time spans.

Going back to diabetes, a few diabetes drugs tested in a similar way (high doses in rodents over short time pans) have resulted in cancers in developing infant rodents which have been viewed as a small risk but then when the drug has been fully introduced in humans, cancers have started to appear a number of years after taking the drug.

Back to Lantus, the results were deemed to be inconclusive. Insulin is partly a growth hormone and so large doses of insulin could create a favourable environment for cancers to proliferate. The Lantus scare involved studies which included people on type 2 diabetes taking Lantus who will likely have been taking larger (sometimes much larger) doses than people with type 1.

Ed

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thank you for the link noblehead. I hope its true what they say! Its quite depressing to think that everyday I inject something that can possibly give me a cancer. Its different with sweeteners or smoking. We have choice not to consume or use it but with insulin not really :(

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are cancer links with so many things that if we spent too much time thinking about it we'd be afraid to eat, drink or breath.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

badmedisin

@nmr1991
No, you can have cancer for years without knowing about it. My friend had no idea until it had spread through his entire body.

But yeah, everything gives you cancer unless you die of something else first... ;)

spats

HI, I don't think it is Lantus that causes the development of cancer. Possibly the persons affected may have COME OFF METFORMIN. I had Metformin for a decade and was becoming more and more distressed with the gut problems and asked to go onto insulin. This transfer was slow and I had lantus for a year with metformin. As I was started on Novar rapid I elected NOT to keep the Metformin, which is usually maintained with type 2 treatment to help support the insulin. Four months later I found the lump which was confirmed as an early post menopausal breast cancer.(The most common in elderly people) This was easily removed and did not have any evidence of spreading at time of surgery. During the post op discussion to elect which drug I would be offered to help reduce the possible return of the cancer Metformin was offered!!!!
There has been a lot of research on this problem - And I have not,so far, had any relapse despite electing not to continue with any post op drugs, But managing to keep a much more stable blood sugar reading, and so being able to keep well and assist healing
The reasons to develop cancers are very complex. All drugs are monitored, usually in a trustworthy way, so I still trust my Lantus which is giving me a much improved quality of life.

microfazer

Dislikes
man-made in$ulin$, lack of C-peptide, in$ulin propaganda, half-wit medical personnel, insulin bottles that are so much thinner than beer bottles
i thought the 30+ mentions of arthritic-like shoulder issues was note-worthy, or curious at least.

30+ mentions of shoulder issues, in an article about cancer-causing possibilities. hmmm.....

im sure theres absolutely no connection though. modern insulins are in fact the only modern medicines that have absolutely no side-effects aside from possibility of low blood sugars.