Low carb pasta

I don't think there could be such a thing unless it was protein based. Quite often have spaghetti squash or ribbon thin courgette or marrow. Parboiled tiny bits of cauliflower is as good as rice for me as well. It's amazing what you grow to love three years down the line! When I crave the real thing I only have a tiny amount about 40grms cooked and actually this seems to satisfy my head..and even my tum

WhitbyJet

yes some people use courgettes cut into julienne strips, I use shredded cabbage, sauteed in butter, then top with sauce, if you are not quite as low carb you could cook a small amount of pasta and mix it with julienned veg or cabbage and reduce carbs this way.
You can also try shirataki noodles, get them from Holland and Barrett or online.

WhitbyJet

Or try this:
4 eggs
125ml Philadelphia (you can use full fat soft cheese with herbs or garlic)
50ml psyllium husks, ground

Preheat oven to 150C
Mix all ingredients well, then let stand for 10 minutes.
Spread onto a really well greased baking sheet and bake at 150C for 10 minutes. Allow to cool, then cut into noodles (or lasagne sheets) and serve with plenty of sauce.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy low carb pasta called ciao carb. If you Google it has am sure that you will find the site avidlite. It has 7g of carb per 50g. It does the job for me not to feel I'm missing out.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I buy skinny pasta online from Holland & Barratt. You can sometimes get 2 4 1. I have it in a bolly sauce with mozzarella and parmesan on cooked in the oven. Its made with some veg stuff, can't really explain it but its white, its a very good passable pasta, good standby.

Kallyloo

Atkins pasta is listed by net carbs but it is fairly low at around 5.6 gm per 25 gm. You can get it and other low carb pastas from amazon with free delivery if you spend £10.
None of these are cheap but if you crave pasta it might be worth buying as a treat.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually eat wholewheat pasta, Buitoni is a trustworthy brand. I also eat rye bread and brown rice. I seem to do quite well on these products although I know not everyone can eat them. If I have to eat any other pasta, I make sure it is a coarser semolina durum wheat and I keep the portions down to 50g dry weight.

The thicker the pasta, the low the GI and the chewier it is, eg 'al dente' the lower the GI. It is not unlike potatoes. I can eat boiled new potatoes without problem. If they are mashed, it cause my BG to rise. If they are pureed, my BG rockets. Cooking and softening causes saccharification, ie converting complex carbs into simpler sugars.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Hairy Bikers used leeks instead of pasta in their lasagna dish when making the tv series Hairy Dieters, my wife made the lasagna and it was fine... although a little more tough and chewy than proper pasta.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dreamfields asta is meant to actas a low carb product. It didn't work for me, but it's worth a try. alternatively use vegetable spaghetti. You'll need to hunt for it.
I personally would have the tiniest portion. I generally don't eat pasta.despite always having loved it.
Hana

Kallyloo

My mum who is the diabetic is going to do a test run over the next few weeks to see what she can tolerate. That might be something to try, see if you can stand other grains better.
The latest is a Spelt pasta that is supposed to be delicious, we haven't tried it yet so won't know if it's suitable for her to tolerate. You get a huge bag though so I've got fingers crossed as I would hate to throw it away.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kallyloo said:
That might be something to try, see if you can stand other grains better.

Pearl barley has a very low GI. It's very good in things like lamb and barley stew

Lamb-stew-with-pearl-barl-006.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ley-recipe

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF pasta 4 portions 6 egg 200 gram cream cheese – Philadelphia 75 ml psyllium husk 1 ml salt

Heat the oven to 150°C (normal oven slightly lower with fan, my guess 125) Beat the eggs until they’re voluminous, add the cream cheese and husk and whisk together Spread the batter/dough evenly and thinly on two baking trays with covered with baking paper, place a baking paper on top of the batter/dough and use a rolling pin or similar to roll out the dough/batter towards the edges of the baking paper to make it thin enough. If you want to be extra careful you might want to spread some oil on the baking paper used on top. Leave the top paper if you want to. Bake for app 10 minutes Let it cool and take off the top paper if left during baking Ready to be cut into your choice, for lasagne cut the piece you want, to make tagliatelle you can also try and roll it before cutting. If you got a pizza slicer this could be an excellent tool for cutting. Can be stored a couple of days in the fridge and also put away in the freezer for later use.

Dairy free LCHF pasta 2 baking trays 4 egg 100 ml water 50 ml psyllium husk 2 tbsp coconut flour 1 ml salt Heat the oven to 150°C (normal oven slightly lower with fan) Mix the dry ingredient in one bowl. Beat the eggs and water in another bowl Use an electric hand mixer and slowly mix in eggs into the husk mix Let the batter swell for 10 minutes Spread the batter/dough evenly and thinly on two baking trays with oiled baking paper, place an oiled baking paper on top of the batter/dough and use a rolling pin or similar to roll out the dough/batter towards the edges of the baking paper to make it thin enough. If you have a Teflon baking sheet this might work better on the top. Bake for app 10 minutes Let it cool and take off the top paper if left during baking Ready to be cut into your choice, for lasagne cut the piece you want, to make tagliatelle you can also try and roll it before cutting. If you got a pizza slicer this could be an excellent tool for cutting. Can be stored a couple of days in the fridge and also put away in the freezer for later use.