A little help needed - Diabetes and Memory

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Hi All,

I'm running a research project for my Masters in psychology on the effects of diabetes (type 1 and 1.5) on memory, specifically the ability to remember to do something (prospective memory) and wanted to ask if anyone could spare 10-15mins and complete my online questionnaire at http://psych.brookes.ac.uk/research/diabetesmemory.php

Ideally I am trying to get 100 responses in order to build a good solid picture of how things such as HbA1c results, gender and control in general impacts our ability to remember things.

It is a small investigatory study which has undergone the university’s ethics review and will be used in my dissertation. It should hopefully give us a better view of how changes in diabetic control and regiment can affect our memories. I will be publishing the results and findings online at the link above once it is complete for everyone to have a read (and will if there is enough interest post a general breakdown of the results on this forum too).

I do hope this helps us all in some small way,
Frankie

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, im sorry but i ermmmm, whatsit called dont know what the ermmm thingy is, sorry what was the question again?

sorry just playing, good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll take a look at fill it out in a sec... hope your research goes well. :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Andy12345 said:
hi, im sorry but i ermmmm, whatsit called dont know what the ermmm thingy is, sorry what was the question again?

sorry just playing, good luck

Andy , Just go home & forget about it! :lol: :lol: :lolno: :lolno:

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Haha Andy that did confuse the hell out of me! :)

Thanks for the help! hopefully it gives us something interesting to ponder... time will tell :)

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Just filed in the survey easy to understand , very quick to fill in , and who knows perhaps somebody will learn something from it, good luck .

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Thanks a lot! :) nice to hear that it was understandable and a smooth process!

I hope it will help too...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've answered it, it went smoothly. I did feel that I wanted some space to mention some things that are peculiar to me (ie I never forget a purse but I'm always having to go back into the house because I've left my meter behind)
It occurred to me that If I'd answered a couple of months ago my answers might have been very different. I had undiagnosed hypothyroid that was causing distinct memory problems (the most annoying of which was forgetting what I was about to say or not being able to recall the word for something ) Now it's treated, I'm more or less back to normal but as 30% of people with T1 also have or may develop autoimmune thyroid issues then it could be a factor to consider.
Good luck with your dissertation.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Oh excellent point, I'll mention it in my discussion we're always encouraged to mention further research points in the same area and that's a dam excellent one! Thanks for that :)

I'm going to be closing down data gathering in the next few days and start on the joyful (being sarcastic here!) statistics.

Hoping to post the findings and results up start/mid Oct for anyone who might be interested.

Frankie