can realy be this easy

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I was diagnosed type 2. 2 weeks ago I came on this site and got loads of great info . Within this time I have gone to the low carb route I wouls say eating perhaps under 10/15 grams per day (unless I really need a banana . After exercise). My bg's have come down from fasting levels of 14.5 ish anh astronomical highs of atleast 24.9 (sure been higher but this was only the second time I had been bg tested by a friend) I immediately cutout all sugar products and then when I found out what carbs did I cut them out too. I am also on metforein but only 500 twice a day. I have also started swimming again 3 x per week. My bg's have come down to between 8 to 9 in the morning usually closer to 8 and can go as low as 6.3 now during the day after being active . Obviously with not having carbs I no longer have any significant spikes infacct no spikes atall realy. Ok inseem to be living off bacon eggs chicken meat salad mushrooms . But I am awaiting some books (inc dr bernstein) to vary my diet better and make it healthier in general not just for bg levels. I think I have done astonishing but am slightly worried that I am setting myself up for a fall. I think I have prety much got it under control but should it be this easy (I realise it isnt for everyone and the disease is more agressive in others) or is it just waiting like a viper lureing me in so it can get a better bite. The way its going at the moment I'm starting to feel like a fraud the bgs going down that fast it starts you wondering if you realy are diabetic. I see and hear people on this forum having real problems and difficultys some of them hart breaking and I have to wonder how I would be able to tollerate it. I feel I have been very lucky only 2/3 weeks ago I was so ill with if without knowing what it was and now I feel better than I have for the last 12 to 18 months . And is all down to this site and the help and infomation and the encouragement of the members that have enabled my change in circumstances and health.
Thankyou

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
I keep wondering if I am due a setback. I managed to come off my meds last Sep. Each time I go for a blood test I expect to hear those words, it's back. By following a lower carb diet and doing easy excercise, and testing now and then, I hope to keep it at bay for many years. We can only do what we can do. If it comes back it won't be for the lack of trying. I have to watch it when I start to stray, the little devil sitting on my right shoulder has managed to persuade the angel on my left that perhaps sugar/carbs have had a bad press and aren't REALLY that bad for me, after all, everything tastes a lot better with a bit of sugar!
Keep fighting pal.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yikes, just be happy guys, hehe no point worrying about things getting worse just be happy things are good now, you are obviously following the right course, enjoy!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
After 10 years, I still only use 2 x 500 mg Metformin per day, which has been changed over to the SR at the beginning of this month, because I was getting an irritable bowel[ now gone away] I keep VERY low carb, exrcise regularly and am 3 stones lighter than I used to be with fasting and bedtime readings around 5; a couple of points either way! Hba1cs in the 5s consistently and trying to lose more weight which is succeeding S L O W L Y.
It's not difficult to keep to if you get used to it and when tempted, think of the consequences.
Hana

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Yep,don't feel guilty Whompa but enjoy ! I found when I ditched the 'Big 5' ie spuds,rice,pasta,bread,pastry that it made a MASSIVE difference,keep doing what you're doing and remember it's not a 'Diet' but a new way of life :wink:

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
Hi Whompa, that's exactly how I'm feeling. I was diagnosed just under 2 weeks ago as T2. I immediately took up the Newcastle diet and have managed within a week to get my fasting BG to 4.7!!! I keep thinking the GP must have misdiagnosed but he did call me back three times for the FBG & my readings were in the 7s each time.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm keeping at it in the hope of keeping this at bay, maybe forever....well done to you :clap:

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Cheers guys . I call it a diet or dietry change as although it is a life style change it is also very different for howI was eating before and even from when I was so called healthy eeating. I hace a bit of a confession . I had a burger with bun today . Nktt good I know but I was at a charity bike show as a Marshall and "collection tin operative" lol but had no other choice than to buy one. I havent worked out picknic low carbing yet but should have realy been better prepaird but did 12 hour shift last night finished @6am in bed for 7 up for 10 out by quarter past. Before 7.3 Had burger 2 hours after and having been vigorously shaking a collection bucket Iread 10 not to sure how to evaluate tthat . As was physically very active for the 2 intervening hours. I think it a tad hight. Dont know? But I did stick to waser and no beer so I have been kinda good

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
omg a burger!?!? what where you thinking???? :shock:

:D hehe one burger wont kill you mate, I would have had 2 then thrown the buns away :) people look at you weird but hey ho, they would look at you weird if you collapse on the floor with a heart attack because you didn't look after yourself right, diet is just a word we can call it anything as long as we find whatever we are doing sustainable :)