Protein shakes

sw11bloke

USN Pure Protein GF-1.
2.2grams of carb, 40 grams protein. Dont need to take insulin with this product.
The Strwberry Cream tastes good even with water.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Oh a topic right up my street :)

Havent' tried the USN one yet, I use Reflex Natural Whey. It has 1.1g of carbs per serving (and no artifical **** in it, such as sweeteners... plus tastes perfectly nice in the chocolate version). Can also take without disrupting the sugars, although if you are going to take large quantities you might need 1 unit to cover it. The way I do it is post workout (I do weight lifting at the gym), I have 60g of protein and 1-2 units of humalog. Does the trick to boot insulin carries all the protein right to the muscle cells so you put on lean muscle.

Side effects so far none, and I've been on it for over 2yrs with constant monitoring of all the usual diabetic bloods and hormonal ones too. The only thing I have had is with high doses like shakes of 50g or more you can get an upset stomach and diarrhea, if you are going to go that high build it up over time. Unless you are building your body that's no use to go above 20-30g.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Oh a serious exerciser! Excellent. I'll give you a few tips from the research I did on myself see if any of it works for you too.

When in the gym, doing legs will cause the biggest sugar drop (it's massively energy intense).

Rep ranges of 8-12/15 will cause you low sugars, so make sure you have your dextrose tabs handy. Check your sugars before you start and about 30mins into it too as well as post workout. At least until you get used to how your body responds.

Rep ranges of 4-6 don't cause any sugar shifts (it relies on creatine for the energy rather than glucose).

I avoid too much CV it makes a mess of things for me and pushes the sugar levels up. If doign the 8-12 rep range I will do about 4-5mins on the bike first to push them up before switching to weights (which lower it).

Don't exercise if you are above 11, you risk flooding your system with ketones, and avoid it too if you are below 4.

Remember the stretching!

If you are going to use supplements protein is the best one to get going with. Start with a 20g-30g, see how your body reacts, thena few weeks later you can up it by 10g and so forth.

Caffeing will stablise the sugars during your workout, so a good coffee (or two) should do the trick.

Because of the muscle glycogen reliance for us type 1s for energy you will grow much faster than expected, this tends to stablise the sugars.

Also keep in mind that we take longer to heal, so muscle damage during a workout needs proper recovery, at least avoid doing gym work the following day.

When you get into things more, if you are going to supplement with anything else I have found that Alpha Lipoic Acids are great (they increase the body's efficiency at muscle glycogen use and recharging), and BCAAs. I personally avoid creatine which at your age I would strongly suggest you do too, there's no need for it and it puts more pressure on your kidneys which we don't really need.

Hope that helps, and do make sure you tell someone at the gym (a member of staff preferably or a training buddy) that you have diabetes and if you hypo they should give you some lucosade. Just in case.

Do let us know how you get along :)
The plus side is that in the long term the more muscle you have the better your sugars and hormones will be balanced and the less likelyhood of diabetic complications.

Frankie

Reactions: 2 people

sw11bloke

flemmycfc ... I am a type 1 diabetic. I use the product myself and so far so good. No side effects. Try it.
When buying protein, just study the info on the tub. I wouldnt take a protein that has more than say 20 grams carbohydrate per serving. The higher the protein, the better.
Try a few products and see which works best for you.

I agree with Frankie's posting and advice too. Id like to hear more about
"Because of the muscle glycogen reliance for us type 1s for energy you will grow much faster than expected, this tends to stablise the sugars" - Could you expand a bit more into that?

Could you also advise more on: "Don't exercise if you are above 11, you risk flooding your system with ketones"? and "The plus side is that in the long term the more muscle you have the better your sugars and hormones will be balanced"?

This is all rather interesting for me.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
I'll try do my best :) I tend to go a bit too easily into medical jargon if I do let me know!

> "Because of the muscle glycogen reliance for us type 1s for energy you will grow much faster than expected,
> this tends to stablise the sugars" - Could you expand a bit more into that?

I'll need to drag out the study where I read about the T1 energy usage (found it, reference: Robitaille M et al, J Appl Physiol 2007; 103:119-124), but essentially controls (healthy non-diabetics) got about 20% of their exercise energy fuel from muscle glycogen stores about 50% from liver glucose stores and under 40% from fat stores. T1 diabetics had a 40-50% fuel source from muscle glycogen, just about 10% from liver glucose, and in between 25-40% from fat stores.

Now the issue with us T1s is that as soon as the glycogens stores go we go hypo, which results in us taking in dextrose or energy drinks saturated with glucose. One of the problems with this is our fat stores don't really get used, but our glycogen stores get burned up very rapidly and then get recharged very rapidly ready to be used again. I think we literally cycle the glycogen-glucose primarily unless we do a very slow and non demanding type of exercise or we use creatine instead for energy (happens only with low rep ranges and high weights such as 1-6 reps). What I suspect this means to the body is that since it's naturally apt at adapting for survival and our survival (during exercising anyway) relies on high level and efficient glycogen store, use and cycling it will optimize that over other things. As the stores in the muscles are the main provider of energy the body will adapt those, and it does so via growing those stores.

Hope that makes sense.

> "The plus side is that in the long term the more muscle you have the better your sugars and hormones will be balanced"?

This ties in with the above, the more you empty those muscle glycogen stores and the bigger they grow the higher the demand on them, and the place they get their substance to refuel is the glucose floating about in our blood stream. So the more muscular you become (providing you actually use them regularly) the more glucose they pull out of the blood stream. Additionally, if you are a guy you will force your body to produce more testosterone. Testosterone controls insulin sensitivity (the more of it you have the greater the sensitivity, which in turn reduces insulin requirement).

> "Don't exercise if you are above 11, you risk flooding your system with ketones"?

If you run high you are in a catabolic state, if you don't have sufficnet muscle body it will not produce a high enough demand to allow those cells to absorb all the glucose available quickly enough to avoid burning fat and producing ketones for energy. The cortisol and GH released during hypers will further limit the effectiveness of your basal insulins. So you have a catch 22, where the muscle demands are too low to reduce the blood glucose before the catabolic processes start to increase it further and you have less effects from your basal which will further increase the spike. Those two will force you into rapid fat burning which produces ketones for energy and their use leads to DKA. Havign said all this if you are experienced enough and have a solid muscular build you could start with higher sugars but I wouldn't suggest anyone starting out does so. It will also make you tired much faster.

When exercising we have essentially 4 sources for energy: glucose/glycogen, fat, creatine and proteins. Proteins are seldom ever used and provide so little that it's not really of much use in the gym (for a long distance running that's another story). Glucose/glycogen is the first and largest source also burns out relatively rapidly. Fat is in T1s harder to tap into and has to be managed very carefully. Then you have creatine which is exclusively used in fast explosive type of workouts (1-6 high weight rep ranges). For us managing all these is the key, the most vital beign glucose/glycogen.

Hope that helped :)
Frankie

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
This topic interested me in that my Son James who is 16 is keen to bulk up with protein shakes and wondered if they would be suitable for him as he is a coeliac as well as T1 and is on a strict gluten free diet. He is a keen footballer and tends to find it hard to play a full game owing to his lack of energy, now he is in the youth team , he finds that he is not picked often as there are so many players to chose from.

At suggestions or advice would be appreciated

:D

AJD1975

Hi, Am new here, I am Aaron and I have trained my whole adult life. Been type one for 4 years. I am 6ft 10tall 18st and pretty lean. If you want to use protiens, please please do not waste your money on cheap rubbish. I use and SWEAR by LA Muscle products, I use LA WHEY. No insulin needed, its expensive stuff, but worth it. Also a good split routine is adviseable, a 3 day or 5 day split. You also need to try and consume 1gr of good quality protien for every 1 LB of lean body mass, thats not your total body weight. Eat plenty of good quality foods, nuts, chicken fish, veg and eat 5 - 6 meals (small) a day. Also a good ratio of carbs protien and fat, thats good fats mind, 40 -40- 20% for each meal. Once you are used to it the lean mass will fly on. You need to find a routine that suits you, everyones body is different. I am tall and well muscled but its hard work, I have gained 30 LBS in around 3 months, now I have decided to to go huge, aiming for about 20st. One of the most important things is sleep and rest, thats when your body grows as it repairs.
Good luck. Train Hard

sw11bloke

Thanks for the info Frankie and AJD1975

Im going to try LA Whey with a good split routine and perhaps low rep high weight. I am in pretty good shape already but I would like to put on about 7 killos of muscle and shift a small bycycle tyre on my waist.

What would you say is the best way to shift a bit of fat on my abs without losing size on my upper body?

Thanks for all this helpful advice.

vespa

This is interesting I have weight trained on and off over the years, since diagnosis this year, I have lost weight by dieting with some exercise and found that my blood sugar has stabilised and I haven't injected for 6 weeks now just metformin, I would like to take it further and build muscles up for the very same reason to increase sugar control, it is a serious kick up the **** for me after years of complacency and becoming overweight.

*I suspect I am type 2 than 1 I am having a review to confirm in October.

h.hulk73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone im looking to try and start drinking protein shakes to build myself up. Just looking for any general feedback. Or if anyother type 1 diabetic drinks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I would not recommend using protein shakes. It is best to use a natural products: eggs, fish, meat and others, which contain lots of protein. :););)

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any sort of whey protein (no carbohydrate) tastes horrible, I think because theres no sugar in it makes it taste so bad even when it has my favourite flavour in it