Why does my Urine smell like TCP?

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Sorry if this one puts you off your breakfast, but I have noticed on several occasions now that my urine smells really odd, rather like TCP. It is not cloudy, and I don't get the usual UTI symptoms, but I have been getting a lot of pain in my lower body and legs, like a dull ache that is constant. I have spoken to my doc re the aching, as it seems different, and in addition to, the neuropathy I have been getting, and they took blood for tests, CRP, Rheumatoid, liver function, thyroid, but they didn't mention kidney function. I forgot to mention the smell to him, and don't know if it's relevant. Also, I have only recently started on insulin, and have noticed that the insulin itself smells similar, so does anyone else have a similar problem? Or am I just turning into a hypochondriac/attention seeking whiner, as there always seems to be something else going wrong with my body recently? :roll:

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would get it checked for a uti as that's what it sounds most likely to be.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
TCP is a phenolic[TriChloroPhenol] so I checked out phenolic smelling urine. didn't find much, but I'd say see your GP. In pigs apparently it's the result of a low protein diet.
We're not pigs, but biochemically not dissimilar.
hana

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My insulins Levemir and Novorapid have no smell. The smells you can get with urine from high blood sugar include ketones when you have a lack of insulin and therefore high blood sugar and these are sweet smelling. There can be a smell if you have sugar in the urine due to kidney dumping and subsequent bacterial growth. Sounds like there may be other reasons in your case not from high blood sugar?

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
My dad used to call TCP tom cat's piddle. Slightly related. I can't believd you failed to tell your GP!

toddytwo

I get embarrassed as my urine and sweat smell of fish if I eat any .
Problem is I love it , but as a female its a very embarrassing problem .

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Hi
When I started on Lantus and Novo Rapid, I noticed Lantus had a very chemically smell and this is what comes through in my sweat, not noticed it in my wee though, but could be linked to the insulin and its carrier.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate

rizzo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Netty70 said:
My wee quite often smells like sugar puffs I put this down to my sugar being high maybe ??
Mad subject :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I used to get that a lot years ago - way before I was diagnosed as diabetic.

I still don't know what caused it.