Canned Fish recipes

big_daddy

I am going to be living off £15 a week food shopping at Aldi for when I go back to university and I wanted to know what recipes I can do with canned fish (mackerel, sardines, pilcahrds etc).

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
£15 a week indicates you are going to waste money elsewhere, your body deserves better.
Also if you would like to eat better and cheaper than £15 a week why not go Freeganism.
That is me just being a Pratt.

All the Supermarkets now do very good offers eg; 4 cans of beans £1, corn flakes 31p, porage 75p, Shop around, (forget about yellow label stuff as it is now a bit of a con).

Your body can cope with junk,but your brain can't.

Roy. :)

LittleWolf

Make a buljol, which is a trinidadian dish . Usually you'd use saltfish, chop some green onions, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber adds some culantro/Mexican coriander and lime juice.

Or you could add cheese, perhaps garlic and make a toasted wholemeal sandwich or pitta pockets

Maybe stock up on those 20p simmer soups as instant ramen is high carb..

On a camping trip I have been known to literally just eat corned beef out of the tin for the day... It tastes better heated up but high salt content..

You could heat it up with unsweetened tomato purée/passata (we get Asda Smartprice) And spoon onto lettuce leaves. You need fresh veg but it is perishable.. Peas, corn and carrots are all sugary aren't they? Broccoli and cauliflower in cheese with tomatoey fish sounds like your best bet. Try baking it in the oven like you would a pasta bake for a change of texture.

I wish I could be more help. If I'm worried about blood sugar/at uni
I just don't eat at all. Dont do that though!! it screws up your metabolism

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Cornflakes and porridge are extremely high in sugar.

But yeah if he has any kind of budget for drinking rather than eating I'd cut that..

It is difficult to low carb on a budget on a uni campus when typical cheap student food is extremely high carb (bang for your buck) Ramen, toast, beans in tomato sauce, crackers, freezer food...
All the logical cheap food options are poison. :/

The lo carb forum looks interesting but a lot of the products are expensive. It costs if you want to replace bread and rice, especially if you grew up with nothing but those two as a daily staple...

Netty70

big_daddy said:
I am going to be living off £15 a week food shopping at Aldi for when I go back to university and I wanted to know what recipes I can do with canned fish (mackerel, sardines, pilcahrds etc).

Hi
I put the canned mackerel in tomato sauce my favourite on plain old burgen toast yummy

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
big_daddy said:

Fish is brill for diabetics, as long as you don't batter it and have it with chips and smother it with sauce.

Aldi and Lidl do tins of mackerel and I like the one in the spicy tomato sauce. One tin with a slice of german rye bread or pumpernickel, I get mine from Lidl, is filling, highly nutritious, tasty and very easy on blood sugars. Other tinned fish, in brine or oil are OK too but you have to be careful with some of the sauces as they are sweetened. The spicy tomato is OK though.

Tesco do the cheapest sardines in brine, about 50p. I use these to make pasta con le sarde. There are many recipes on the net, some use fresh sardines, some use tinned. As a diabetic, use wholewheat spaghetti and start off with say 50 g dry weight.

Rollmop herrings and Bismarck herrings from Lidl are good and always keep an eye out for special offers on tinned tuna and salmon. Sometimes they can be expensive but there are always offers around. They make great salads. A tortilla or wholewheat wrap with some salad stuff and some tuna makes a great sandwich substitute.

Salad greens with diced feta cheese and olives make a filling salad. Lidl and aldi both do cheaper balsamic vinegars. You only need to drizzle a very small amount on and it will make a change from fish.

Mixed lentil curries and chole, a chickpea curry is also cheap and nutitious. If you have an asian store nearby, you can get tins of chickpeas usually 3 tins for £1. You can buy ready mixed garam massala or mix your own. Have a look at:

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/punjab ... icy-gravy/
http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetari ... hidaal.htm

or search for Majulas Kitchen on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_WQvOIkgRg

Although she is cooking everything from raw ingredients, you can substitute tins and ready made massalas (ie the ready mixed spices). All this stuff is a lot cheaper in an asian store than in a supermarket.

She also has a website:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com

Lidl do a big bag of fromzen Greenlandic shrimps, I guess Aldi do the same. They cost about £3.50 but you can get a lot of meals out of them. I mix them in with egg foo yungs, add them to seafood salads or add them to the Hairy Bikers' Basic Good Curry Mix. You can make this up, divide into 8 individual portions and freeze. Then, when you want a cheap but very tasty curry use one portion, add some chilli if you want it hotter and add your shrimps, bits of chicken or whatever. By the way, buying ready cooked roast chicken in some supermarkets can be very cheap on a saturday afternoon or early sunday afternoon. You'll get a couple of chicken meals plus left overs for curries, soups or sandwiches.

Netty70

Yorksman said:
big_daddy said:

Fish is brill for diabetics, as long as you don't batter it and have it with chips and smother it with sauce.

Aldi and Lidl do tins of mackerel and I like the one in the spicy tomato sauce. One tin with a slice of german rye bread or pumpernickel, I get mine from Lidl, is filling, highly nutritious, tasty and very easy on blood sugars. Other tinned fish, in brine or oil are OK too but you have to be careful with some of the sauces as they are sweetened. The spicy tomato is OK though.

Tesco do the cheapest sardines in brine, about 50p. I use these to make pasta con le sarde. There are many recipes on the net, some use fresh sardines, some use tinned. As a diabetic, use wholewheat spaghetti and start off with say 50 g dry weight.

Rollmop herrings and Bismarck herrings from Lidl are good and always keep an eye out for special offers on tinned tuna and salmon. Sometimes they can be expensive but there are always offers around. They make great salads. A tortilla or wholewheat wrap with some salad stuff and some tuna makes a great sandwich substitute.

Salad greens with diced feta cheese and olives make a filling salad. Lidl and aldi both do cheaper balsamic vinegars. You only need to drizzle a very small amount on and it will make a change from fish.

Mixed lentil curries and chole, a chickpea curry is also cheap and nutitious. If you have an asian store nearby, you can get tins of chickpeas usually 3 tins for £1. You can buy ready mixed garam massala or mix your own. Have a look at:

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/punjab ... icy-gravy/
http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetari ... hidaal.htm

or search for Majulas Kitchen on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_WQvOIkgRg

Although she is cooking everything from raw ingredients, you can substitute tins and ready made massalas (ie the ready mixed spices). All this stuff is a lot cheaper in an asian store than in a supermarket.

She also has a website:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com

Lidl do a big bag of fromzen Greenlandic shrimps, I guess Aldi do the same. They cost about £3.50 but you can get a lot of meals out of them. I mix them in with egg foo yungs, add them to seafood salads or add them to the Hairy Bikers' Basic Good Curry Mix. You can make this up, divide into 8 individual portions and freeze. Then, when you want a cheap but very tasty curry use one portion, add some chilli if you want it hotter and add your shrimps, bits of chicken or whatever. By the way, buying ready cooked roast chicken in some supermarkets can be very cheap on a saturday afternoon or early sunday afternoon. You'll get a couple of chicken meals plus left overs for curries, soups or sandwiches.

Wow reading all that made me extremely hungry lol

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's perfectly possible to live on that budget, if you have some knowledge of nutrition. your idea of canned fish is a good one. Use a LOT of fresh veggies, whatever is in season and canned veggies are nutritious too as are frozen ones. Make humungous salads!
I make a mild curry from canned tuna, I start with fried finely chopped onion then fry a spice mix [ cheapest from Asian shops] then the drained tuna. When it's cooked, I add enough canned corn and just warm it through.
Another strategy for students is to do some co-operative cooking. Shop together and share the produce. Use street markets too.
I remember my Uni days. The only rule we had in our group of 4 girls was that the cook doesn't wash up. I became the chief cook.
We used to go to the street market as they were beginning to clear away and snaffle the bargains.
The only thing that WON'T work is having a fussy eater.
Good luck and good health!
Hana

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1 can tinned salmon
1 can chickpeas
1 can tomatoes
olive oil
herbs and spices.

Cook it all together, a nice quick stew, very filling, not lowest carb, but low GI.

One of my post workout or evening time trial specials.

You might struggle on £15 a week, but think lentils, beans, oats all low GI, if they don't cause you a problem.
Avoid ready meals like the plague (poor nutrition and not cost effective), learn to make your own bread if you eat it, and go veggie for several meals a week.

big_daddy

My Parents has told me to scrap the canned fish idea and instead buy things that I enjoy so I decided that this would be my meal plan:

Iceland
• Garlic & Herb Breaded Chicken 8 Pack – £2
• Ready Sliced Mixed Peppers 650g - £1
Farmfoods
• Semi-Skimmed Milk 4 Litres - £1.60
Tesco
• Everyday Value Oats 1Kg - £0.75
• Everyday Value Eggs 15 - £1.35
• Everyday Value Smoked Salmon Trimmings 120g - £1.50

Breakfast: 50g of Oats with 125ml of Semi-Skimmed Milk
Calories = 246, Carbs = 35.96g, Proteins = 10.5g, Fats = 6.26g

Lunch: 2 Scrambled Eggs with 20g of Smoked Salmon Trimmings
Calories = 206, Carbs = 0.35g, Proteins = 17.85g, Fats = 14.6g

Dinner: 1 Garlic & Herb Breaded Chicken Steak with 80g of Sliced Mixed Peppers
Calories = 208, Carbs = 17.3g, Proteins = 11.9g, Fats = 10.56g

Day Total:
Calories = 660, Carbs = 53.6g, Proteins = 40.3g, Fats = 31.4g
Week Total:
Calories = 4620, Carbs = 375.3g, Proteins = 281.8g, Fats = 220g

My parents think that it's a good meal plan and I can mix it up according to my uni timetable, when I get it as I can swap around my breakfast and lunch. Also what money that I have left over will go towards buying tea bags, coffee, herbs, spices and sparkling water with citrus fruits.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that the calories are not enough .Your evening meal is not enough to sustain you through until breakfast .You could up the cals by having your chicken un breaded and adding a cheese sauce withe some caulii you could afford this if you bought raw peppers and sliced them yourself Lidl and Aldi do cheap chicken fillets also cheap frozen fish You may need less carbs in your diet but if you dont eat enough you will be miserable and also you could make yourself ill
From a concerned Granny :)
CAROL

big_daddy

ChrisOT61 said:
Surely 660 cals a day isn't enough?

carty said:
I agree that the calories are not enough .Your evening meal is not enough to sustain you through until breakfast .You could up the cals by having your chicken un breaded and adding a cheese sauce withe some caulii you could afford this if you bought raw peppers and sliced them yourself Lidl and Aldi do cheap chicken fillets also cheap frozen fish You may need less carbs in your diet but if you dont eat enough you will be miserable and also you could make yourself ill
From a concerned Granny :)
CAROL

It might just be enough for me, but my parents and sister are saying that I should cut out breakfast completely as I am the only person who has it and that I should rely on lunch and dinner. apart from my sister who says I could survive with just eating an evening meal.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You started off with asking for suggestions on what sort of meals you should eat to suit a budget but seem now to have moved on to how to manage a diet which involves a very severe restriction in calorie intake.

Even the diet used in the Counterpoint Study, which provides for 25% greater energy intake than your current proposal, warns :

you may experience some symptoms like:

headache
dizziness
tiredness
hunger
cold

Are you trying to get a healthy and balanced diet on a budget or are you trying to mimmick the effects of gastric surgery?